Timmons visits

Say we sign Hartwell... I just don't see us going LB day one.

I'm iffy on the idea of taking a LB, we have plenty of potential already. I think it needs to be to replace Landon but we're not really in that position given he's the only LBer with experience (granted he's heading into UFA).

The question marks at LB really leave the idea of taking one first up in the air..

A. Is there intention for re-signing Landon next year?

B. What does Marvin see as Odells future?

The Landon signing is good news/bad news. Good that at least the Bengals know they got at least 1 weakside backer on the roster for this year. Bad in that no other team thought he was worth any kind of offer sheet that would forego a 3rd round pick.

I wouldn;t mind seeing the Bengals draft Timmons at all. If they don't land Revis or Houston, I hope they grab an impact player who can disrupt -- Timmons, Jarvis Moss or Reggie Nelson.

After reading Marvin's comments about players he likes to draft I wouldn't be surprised if he pushed very hard for him draft day. Timmons is a guy who is only going to get better and he's a physical freak. Timmons could come in a contribute from day 1, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first round pick.

I found that comment of Marvin's interesting too. Think he might be talking about guys like Poz and Hall who were good in NCAA but might be limited physically at the NFL level? Up until reading that comment, I had sort of expected that those guys would be high on our draft board, but now I wonder if he'd look more favorably at Houston, Timmons or Ginn.

After reading Marvin's comments about players he likes to draft I wouldn't be surprised if he pushed very hard for him draft day. Timmons is a guy who is only going to get better and he's a physical freak. Timmons could come in a contribute from day 1, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first round pick.

I found that comment of Marvin's interesting too. Think he might be talking about guys like Poz and Hall who were good in NCAA but might be limited physically at the NFL level? Up until reading that comment, I had sort of expected that those guys would be high on our draft board, but now I wonder if he'd look more favorably at Houston, Timmons or Ginn.

Funny, those were the two players that immediately popped into my head when I read that.

I read that, too and You gotta point there.

The players that popped into my head were Timmons and Ross (only one year as a starter).

But, he apparently is also infatuated with Durant and Beason as well.

Timmons may very well be the best pure athlete at LB in this draft. That's not to say he's the best LB, because he's not... but when it comes to pure physical skills he's up there.

If with some good coaching that could translate into the NFL, having him and Brooks next to eachother for the next 5-10 years could be a historic combo... but that assumes that both of those guys reach their potential, and I still very much doubt that Timmons ends up a Bengal - even though it would be fun to fantasize about.

After the Myers signing, if the Bengals sign Hartwell too, this opens up the door for the Bengals to trade down and load up picks. Then they can stockpile players from later in the draft that can sit a year and learn the system. If the Bengals trade down in the first and pick up a third and maybe a fourth or fifth, that would be perfect to fill some of the holes and potential holes they will have after next year. They might even trade out of the first round if they can pick up a second and a third.

At this point I think most people should be focusing on who the Bengals are going to get in the second round and not the first. Guys that I believe they will be looking at in the second are:

Chris Houston (if he falls that far)

Marcus McCauley

Rufus Alexander

HB Blades

Justin Durant

Brandon Siler

David Harris

Michael Griffin

Aaron Ross

Eric Weddle

Victor Abiamiri

Lamar Woodley

Tim Crowder

Michael Bush

Justin Blalock

Joe Staley (Just because he is from Central Michigan)

Ryan Kalil

Or maybe they trade up to the number one spot and take Calvin Johnson!

Id be shocked if anyone wants to trade down with us, unless there is a top WR still available, given the BLAH talent available this year. After hearing what marvin had to say I bet our pick is Timmons, Houston, Nelson or Revis considering the potential for each.

But who the hell knows.

Most frustrating week ever (week before the draft that is).

Id be shocked if anyone wants to trade down with us, unless there is a top WR still available, given the BLAH talent available this year. After hearing what marvin had to say I bet our pick is Timmons, Houston, Nelson or Revis considering the potential for each.

But who the hell knows.

Most frustrating week ever (week before the draft that is).

Repeat after me, "Houston, we have a problem." Houston is 5'9'' in lifts. We sure as heck better not take any kind of a flier on him, especially in the 1st round. Let some other schmuck gamble. Might it pan out? Oh yeah, it might, but with the Bengal's luck at drafting seemingly can't miss prospects, Wilkinson, A Smith, Carter, Klingler, et al, I am all for not having that show up in the ESPN "Don't Blame the Bengals for Chris Houston..." episode.

Repeat after me, "Houston, we have a problem." Houston is 5'9'' in lifts. We sure as heck better not take any kind of a flier on him, especially in the 1st round. Let some other schmuck gamble. Might it pan out? Oh yeah, it might, but with the Bengal's luck at drafting seemingly can't miss prospects, Wilkinson, A Smith, Carter, Klingler, et al, I am all for not having that show up in the ESPN "Don't Blame the Bengals for Chris Houston..." episode.

I'm not really sure why you hate Houston so much. I'd be just fine if they took him. Revis has jumped up in the draft rankings as of late... but when the college football season had ended, he was one of the (if not THE) most coveted CB's in the draft. He's proven himself against upper echelon talent more than any other CB in this draft.

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=29&a=20

Dwayne Jarrett. Robert Meachem. Earl Bennett. Dwayne Bowe. What do all of these receivers have in common, besides their all-conference talents? They have all been locked down in coverage by Razorback junior Chris Houston. After playing nickel as a freshman and sophomore, Houston exploded onto the college football scene in 2006 as a vicious shut down corner in the SEC. He possesses outstanding athletic ability, rare strength for the position, and an entire season of dominant coverage. With the power he possesses, Houston will flat out some wide receivers in their release. Houston is a raw corner in terms of technique, however, and needs to prove in workouts that he can handle the teaching neccessary to take his skills to the next level. If he can prove that, than Houston could very well end up the best corner taken from the 2007 class.

I'm not really sure why you hate Houston so much. I'd be just fine if they took him. Revis has jumped up in the draft rankings as of late... but when the college football season had ended, he was one of the (if not THE) most coveted CB's in the draft. He's proven himself against upper echelon talent more than any other CB in this draft.

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=29&a=20

Dwayne Jarrett. Robert Meachem. Earl Bennett. Dwayne Bowe. What do all of these receivers have in common, besides their all-conference talents? They have all been locked down in coverage by Razorback junior Chris Houston. After playing nickel as a freshman and sophomore, Houston exploded onto the college football scene in 2006 as a vicious shut down corner in the SEC. He possesses outstanding athletic ability, rare strength for the position, and an entire season of dominant coverage. With the power he possesses, Houston will flat out some wide receivers in their release. Houston is a raw corner in terms of technique, however, and needs to prove in workouts that he can handle the teaching neccessary to take his skills to the next level. If he can prove that, than Houston could very well end up the best corner taken from the 2007 class.

I don't hate him nor have I ever said that. I simply said it is my opinion that the Bengals should not draft him and why I hold that opinion. I will love him as family if the Bengals do draft him, just as my Homer moniker says I will. But he is 5'9'' and 5 and 10 year vets in the NFL are NOT Jarrett, Meachem and Bowe. Just revisit that Wilkinson was a can't miss DT etc. etc. Might he be the next coming of Deion Sanders? Yes, he might. Could he be the best corner in the 2007 class? Yes he might. I just pray that someone else gets to find out and not our Bengals.

I'm not as high on Houston as I once was. I still expect him to end up a very good player, but he's a poor fit here compared to Revis, Hall, or Ross. His height is talked about too often IMO, just as Tye Hill's was last offseason.

What makes him a poor fit? Just curious to know what you mean.

I know he hasn't played a ton of zone corner in college, but that doesn't mean he can't. He's probably the best man coverage CB in the draft, and he certainly has the talent to be a stud as a zone corner... so "poor fit" doesn't resonate with me.

As far as run support, he's not nearly as good as Revis... but he's more than able, he just needs to be coached up. All in all, I'd rather have Revis than Houston... but I'm preparing myself for Revis to be gone. If Revis is in fact gone, I'd be extremely happy with Houston. Certainly more so than Carriker. If they chose Timmons over Houston, I'd be fine with that I guess, but I think Houston is going to be a very good pro.

I'm not as high on Houston as I once was. I still expect him to end up a very good player, but he's a poor fit here compared to Revis, Hall, or Ross. His height is talked about too often IMO, just as Tye Hill's was last offseason.

What makes him a poor fit? Just curious to know what you mean.

I know he hasn't played a ton of zone corner in college, but that doesn't mean he can't. He's probably the best man coverage CB in the draft, and he certainly has the talent to be a stud as a zone corner... so "poor fit" doesn't resonate with me.

I was referring more to his physical attributes, and how they compare to what I'd expect Marvin to look for in a #2 corner (which, as I consider it now, could be inherently flawed perception if Joseph ends up the #2 rather than the new hypothetical rookie). I expect him to want a more complementary player to Joseph in terms of physicality and size, rather than another speedster with great instincts. Revis or Ross would fit the bill better in that scenario, IMO.

Coach Lewis wants a pass-rush.

This might be the writing on the wall.

Timmons has yet to reach his potential.

I want someone who's mean and fierce though.

Beason or Durant would be cool, we need an defensive identity on this team.

I definitely prefer Timmons to Beason.

IMHO I'd rather have Ginn than Beason.

I hope we draft Revis or Nelson or even Ross.

This has been the slowest week of the year -- think I'll go play golf. :D

I'd prefer Timmons, he has a nose for the ball. 18 TFL's last year... With that said I wouldn't be dissapointed with Beason.

I like Revis a lot but a LB/S is going to have more impact on the defense than a CB. We can wait for the 2nd and the likes of Fred Bennett or Josh Wilson will be there.

IMHO I'd rather have Ginn than Beason.

I'm warming up to the idea of selecting Ted Ginn, because he's a game-changing weapon.

But as Spain would say,

"The question is will he be available @ 18? Scott Linehan and Cam Cameron were also at that Pro Day as well."

I still want the Bengals to draft Michael Griffin in the first round. I think he fits the Bengals system the best, even if it is a reach at 18 in the first. He has hardly any flaws as a S, and would be a better fit than the current back up at the S positions. Now take into account that Dexter Jackson hasn't made it through a full seaosn as a starting safety in the last 3 to 4 seasons. I just don't feel comfortable with the backups at S, and I think Griffin would be the best fit for the Bengals in the first, not to mention he would be able to help a lot on STs.

I still want the Bengals to draft Michael Griffin in the first round. I think he fits the Bengals system the best, even if it is a reach at 18 in the first. He has hardly any flaws as a S, and would be a better fit than the current back up at the S positions. Now take into account that Dexter Jackson hasn't made it through a full seaosn as a starting safety in the last 3 to 4 seasons. I just don't feel comfortable with the backups at S, and I think Griffin would be the best fit for the Bengals in the first, not to mention he would be able to help a lot on STs.

Neither Griffin, at 202 pounds, or Nelson can withstand the pounding of the NFL at SS - We need a "Full-rock" type of enforcer at safety, someone who can run with the TE's and put the fear of god into opposing wide-outs. Rouse, Meriweather, Weddle, and especially Piscatteli and Wendling could develop into the hammer this "D" needs - save our top pick for a stud DL or TRADE DOWN!!!!