Hypothetical but interesting situation

Let's just say the 1st round goes down and we are sitting at #18 with Reggie Nelson (no okoye, no branch, no willis, no hall, no landry) still on the board, but the Pats are offering us their 2 1st rounders (#24 and #28) to trade up for our pick. Do you stay and take Nelson or take the trade?

I like Reggie Nelson -- BUT I'd take the TRADE right now!! :sure:

I believe there will be plenty of good (not necessarily great) DEFENSIVE players still available at 24 and 28.

I beleive that we need to be rebuilding our strength and depth on all defensive positions and two more picks in the 1st round would certainly help.

Was this a trick question? -- it seemed so obvious!! :blush:

More likely the Pats target LaRon Landry and look to swap with the Skins at 6 which trade value wise washes.

The Pats got one of the Top 5 FS in the NFL in Eugene Wilson if he comes back from injury. But depending on what happens with Samuel, Eugene could be looking to kick back down to corner again.

More likely the Pats would be interested in Mike Griffin than Nelson, but if they did want to go get at 18, it'd cost the Bengals their 2nd too and even then trade value wise, it's a little less that the points needed to swap 18 and 49 for 24 and 28.

I was actually just wondering whether you guys would want Nelson or 2 lower picks, not for people to pull out their trade charts and discuss the logic of the trade. Hence, hypothetical question.

On that note, which player wouldnt you turn down for the pats 2 picks if available?

For me it's:

Landry

Branch

Okoye

And maaaaybe for:

Hall

Nelson

Willis

There's no way in hell that any team would give us two 1st's for the #18 pick. However, if the Jets would be willing to give us one of their 2nd round picks (either 59 or 63) plus their 1st round (#25)... the answer is, yes. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sure, we'd lose our shot at a guy like Nelson, or possibly Revis... but there would still be a good CB at #25, and we'd be able to get a LB and a DT in the 2nd round. That is a much more valuable draft... but I very much doubt the Jets would make us that kind of offer. They would have to absolutley be in love with someone at #18 that wouldn't fall to them 7 picks later.

The Bengals, being the Bengals, may have 3 or 4 players targeted that are being talked about in the bottom of round 1 and others below pick 50. . . Michael Griffin, Zach Miller, Marcus McCauley, Sabby Piscitelli, Fred Bennet - moving down 2 or even 3 times for a couple of thirds and a fourth might not be a bad idea. It is a VERY long time between their 2nd round and 4th round pick.

It really depends on their scouts being able to unearth good, servicable prospects likely to be available on day 2. If there are no TE's or DL's or LB's or DB's that may be available to us later in rounds 4 - 7, then they CAN"T fool around on Day 1. I think it likely that we'll end up (again) with what the pundits will describe as a REACH pick on Day 1 - maybe both of the picks.

The Jets might cough up #63 to get #18 and it's close to trade value. But I'd rather see the Bengals hold out for a CB in the 1st and the Top 3 plus Aaron Ross could all be gone by #25.

You really think 4 CB's will be chosen before the 25th pick? I doubt the Bengals make a trade like this... and it would require the Jets to feel pretty strongly about it too... so as far as hypothetical situations go - this is about as hypothetical as it gets... but hypothetically, I think Ross would be there at #25, and were the trade offered, I think it would be worth the risk. Having 3 picks before the 3rd round (most likely 3 defensive starters, or at least difference makers) would be pretty important.