How about a draft day trade for a LB?

Both Lance Briggs (Bears) & Jonathon Vilma (Jets) should be on the trading block - how about swapping picks and throwing in a player (Chris Henry?) to get a great, proven NFL backer while still retaining a 1st round pick - maybe go for a later round 'project' at WR, which is (arguably) the deepest position in this year's draft!!! Thoughts?

That would be awesome if we could get Vilma or Briggs in a trade (+ getting rid of Henry :P ) but nothing that good ever happens to the Bengals in a trade and probably never will. <_<

Where did you hear that Vilma was on the trading block.

Seconded. Not saying it isn't true but I haven't seen anything either.

But anyhow...I don't know about anyone else but the whole idea of taking or trading for an LB on day one of the draft just depresses me. Not that there aren't some talented prospects, and not that the team doesn't have needs at LB, but d*mnit they've been at it for four years and it's been like pouring sand down the proverbial rathole.

The only FA LB who's worked out is Jeanty; Hardy and Webster were both flops. We've taken five day one LBs in the last four years, plus a couple of day two/UDFA projects like Abdullah and Nicholson and Henderson. And to date we have little to show for all that effort.

Which, I suppose, only empahsizes why they've got to do it again. I suppose we're overdue for something to go right at LB...right? Right? :unsure:

Briggs is too pricey for one player on this defense right now. The Bears asking price will be a fairly high draft pick... AND we'd have to pay a pro-bowler a premium salary.

While it is unlikely to get a Briggs quality WSLB at any point in this draft... the 2nd round will have plenty of quality LB's to upgrade our situation. And to be honest, I don't think WSLB is our biggest need right now (Yes, even though they'll never be pro-bowlers, I think Caleb and Landon can perform the job without a great deal of liability).

What we need is secondary help. That is where we should focus in the first round. We'll be able to get somebody (Posluszny, Timmons, Beason, Durant, Alexander, Everett, Black) in the 2nd round. This year's secondary class doesn't look quite that deep - so I'd prefer no trade. Bring on the draft!

I can back DD up to a point, as I've seen Vilma mentioned as a player likely to be traded several times. Granted, it's always been pure media speculation, but it's grounded in the belief that Vilma will never be the impact player he was as a rookie due to the Jets change in scheme last year. Officially the Jets haven't said much in response other than to say they have complete faith that Vilma will eventually adjust and return to form.

Yeah right, Marvin wouldnt add a big name player to this team. Why add a Vilma when you have superstar players like John Thornton and Bryan Robinson.

Are you suggesting that the Jets would accept Thornton and Robinson for Vilma? If so, you're not that bright. If not, what exactly are you complaining about - and how in the hell is it relevant to this discussion? If we want Vilma, we'd have to give up draft picks. I say no.