Bengals are on the clock

Spor_tees

For anyone who mised it there's a write-up and a link to the video of the segment here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2818806

For all u lazy bastards who don't want to click on the link..

The Cincinnati Bengals had high expectations heading into the 2006 season, but suffered through a difficult campaign that included a disturbing number of off-the-field incidents. One of the biggest priorities this offseason should have been to clean up the locker room and bring in more leaders, but that has not happened so far. The Bengals have had a miserable offseason, including the loss of three excellent leaders.

The Bengals are no better today then when they finished last season. They have the same troubled characters in the locker room and less talent on the field. However, the team still should have one of the better offenses in the NFL. With quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Rudi Johnson and wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Cincinnati has a chance to win every Sunday.

Key additions

The Bengals have not done anything of significance this offseason. The only move that will have any impact on the roster is the addition of former Arizona center Alex Stepanovich. He was basically a street free agent. The team did put the franchise tag on defensive end Justin Smith, but this was a questionable move because Smith is now set to eat up $8.6 million in salary -- quite a price for a defensive end who has never registered double-digit sacks in a season.

The team signed defensive end Robert Geathers, who had 10½ sacks last season, to a long-term deal, and re-signed tight end Reggie Kelly, one of the better blockers in the NFL at his position. Finally, the Bengals brought back No. 3 running back Kenny Watson, who catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a solid special teams player.

Mock draft: Bengals

The Pick (No. 18 overall):

OLB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State

Todd McShay: Timmons didn't help his draft stock at the combine, where he was 2 inches shorter and two-tenths of a second slower in the 40 than expected. Still, Timmons is an outstanding athlete who flashed playmaking ability in his one season as a full-time starter at FSU.

• Complete mock draft

• SportsNation: Mock draft

• Vote: Team needs

Key losses

The Bengals have lost some talented players with leadership skills this offseason. Left guard Eric Steinbach (Cleveland) is one of the best in the NFL at his position and can play multiple positions. He was one of the players arrested before the 2006 season, but he was also one of the best leaders on the team.

Linebacker Brian Simmons was cut. While he had lost a step, Simmons was still the best linebacker on the team. The Bengals also lost safety Kevin Kaesviharn (New Orleans), who had six interceptions last season and was responsible for getting everyone in the front seven lined up(first I've of that).

The departure of reserve defensive tackle Shaun Smith (Cleveland) and No. 4 receiver Kelley Washington (New England) has weakened depth at both those positions. In addition, cornerback Tory James (not expected to be re-signed), backup tight end Tony Stewart (Oakland) and linebacker Marcus Wilkins (Atlanta), one of Cincinnati's best special teams players last season, also will be missed.

Remaining questions

The biggest question for this team once again will be interior run defense. The Bengals still need a big defensive tackle to plug the middle(Sam Adams is one of the biggest DT's in the NFL, what a dumbass). They have a lot of bodies at linebacker but no true star at the position. Johnathan Joseph played well late last season, but this team does not have much depth at corner. Safeties Dexter Jackson and Madieu Williams are inconsistent in run support, which hurts the run defense. (Kaesviharn was more than weak in run support, the word liability comes to mind)

The team will miss Steinbach, but the depth on the offensive line is solid. Despite all the problems, this team still has a chance to win, thanks to the explosive weapons on offense.

Who ever wrote this "review" should be arrested for stealing ESPN's money, the author doesn't have a clue.

He says we need a big body for the middle, if he knew anything about the Bengals then he would know that we have Sam Adams who played injured all last season and he is probably going to be 100% this year which is a plus. Then he's acting like we lost pernnial Pro Bowl players in Simmons, KK, and Steinbach. While all of these guys were good, I can fully understand why we didn't over pay for Steinbach and KK and why we cut a banged up lb who didn't show any willingness to get back on the field last year. All of the guys who left will be missed but I believe that either through the draft or by people on the roster they can be replaced.

Can Kilmer, Busing or Jones be the new KK; whose going to win the LG job, Stacey or Andrew; can Brooks be the player the coach staff knows he can be and replace Simmons? These are some of the biggest questions this offseason, but I don't think losing a back up safety, a LG, or a lb who his past his prime and who missed signifigant time last season is going to doom us to failure. Yes this team was inactive in a weak FA market in which marginal at best talent got superstar contracts, but they should be appluaded for that, not bashed.

Just can't see the Bengals taking an LB in the 1st unless Hall, Revis and Houston are gone.

In that case, I'd rather see them take Timmons over Beason. For all the OLB label on Beason, I didn't see him cover as well as he would need to. His strength is inside IMO where he can turn on his outstanding lateral pursuit and shoot gaps. He looks better playing sideline to sideline and forward than he does going back.

Timmons unleashes around the line better than any other Lb in the draft and gets back in coverage well vs. TEs which is important in the North. He'd add a hellacious blitz dimenson as a nickel backer and could very well swing all 3 LB positions in a 4-3. Plus he's the best non-returner teams player there is. The Bengals would get more mileage out of Timmons than Beason IMO.

I prefer Timmons to Beason as well for all the reasons you mentioned, he's a physical freak who can be coached up into a great player, imo. He reminds me of Manny Lawson who we almost drafted last year.

Who ever wrote this "review" should be arrested for stealing ESPN's money, the author doesn't have a clue.

Sometimes the NFL Network isn't much better. Rod Woodson recently handled the mock GM duties for the Bengals and defended his pick of a safety by claiming..."The Bengals were hurt badly when Kevin VonHarn signed with New Orleans."

Just can't see the Bengals taking an LB in the 1st unless Hall, Revis and Houston are gone.

In that case, I'd rather see them take Timmons over Beason. For all the OLB label on Beason, I didn't see him cover as well as he would need to. His strength is inside IMO where he can turn on his outstanding lateral pursuit and shoot gaps. He looks better playing sideline to sideline and forward than he does going back.

Timmons unleashes around the line better than any other Lb in the draft and gets back in coverage well vs. TEs which is important in the North. He'd add a hellacious blitz dimenson as a nickel backer and could very well swing all 3 LB positions in a 4-3. Plus he's the best non-returner teams player there is. The Bengals would get more mileage out of Timmons than Beason IMO.

Completely agree on Timmons and have liked him for some time now as a potential pick. But, can never get your hopes up or count too much on one player, or position, as always.

Just get the BDPA in round one this year - a safe pick with as little bad character and injury history as possible. I wouldn't complain about an o-lineman in the 1st or 2nd either, but know that's unlikely at this point.

IF the Deltha stuff is untrue, or if he is back in the fold by draft day for some odd reason, I think that has to be a factor with the 1st round pick.

Just get the BDPA in round one this year - a safe pick with as little bad character and injury history as possible. I wouldn't complain about an o-lineman in the 1st or 2nd either, but know that's unlikely at this point.

I'd say it's more unlikely this year than last for a high O-line pick especially since it looks like they got their spots filled with Stepanovich signed. If they do go after an O-lineman in the 2nd, I'd like either Tony Ugoh or Jamie Marten.

But if the Bengals don't do something about their defense right now, they could get their a$$es kicked all over the field all year long.

Our D will get their ass kicked all year long. You cant expect a rookie to go out and dominate.

Steinbach was willing to except much less money than we he got from the Browns, and it was stupid for us to loose him. You need to protect your franchise QB especially since his knee got f**ked up. All you who say he was inconsistant can suck it because the man was playing a different posistion every game pretty much. I dont trutst Whitworth at all.

Who was blocking Kimo when Carson's leg got tore up, that would be Steinbach.

And who was blocking Richard Seymour when Carson's knee got tore up the year before? Yup, that would be Steinbach, again.

Look, Steinbach isn't a bad player and he's certainly an upgrade for the Browns no matter what position they put him at. He's also a player I would have liked to see remain a Bengal under the right circumstances. But to quote a couple of old Canadians, when he blows up...he blows up good.