Carl Edwards

BengalszoneBilly

You can't help but to like a guy who celebrates a win like Carl did here after Satudays Busch series win at Bristol:

capt.2c4dc20b411c4f2fabef05e09e0ff369.nascar_busch_bristol_auto_racing_tnmh124.jg

edwards.front.jpg

The Busch race sounded as though it was a war with all the cautions and a huge mistake made by the Nascar officials. (I didn't get to see it...had to work some overtime. <_< ) Here's the account of the race from Yahoo Sports:

Edwards holds off Kenseth in caution-plagued Bristol race

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

March 24, 2007

AP - Mar 24, 6:41 pm EDT

BRISTOL, Tenn. (AP) -- Carl Edwards held off hard-charging teammate Matt Kenseth over the final dozen laps to win the Busch Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway on Saturday.

It was a typical crash-filled Bristol race, with 12 cautions for 103 laps and one red-flag stoppage. NASCAR also confused things with a miscue on pit road that confused most of the field and gave Edwards, Kyle Busch and Ryan Newman a second chance.

Edwards used that free pit stop to get fresh tires and drive away to his first win of the season. Kenseth never got close enough to move him, and Edwards beat him to the line by 0.260 seconds.

``I just can't thank Matt Kenseth enough for racing me that clean,'' Edwards said. ``He's so great here and it meant the world to beat him.''

A caution came out with 117 laps to go and NASCAR told its officials to open pit road. But pit road was closed when Busch and Edwards -- the leaders -- passed the entrance. They didn't stop.

But pit road opened seconds later, and the rest of the field did stop.

NASCAR blamed that on a delay in changing the lights on pit road and quickly reviewed it. Officials then allowed Busch and Edwards to pit and line up where they were originally running when the caution came out.

``It was a mistake that NASCAR made in this case,'' president Mike Helton said. ``And there's no absolute fix for that. So we felt like the most fair thing to do was to simply say, `Pit road is open. You can pit if you want to. You don't have to.'

``There's no absolute clean fix, but we felt like that was the most fair fix.''

Not everyone agreed.

It was HOR-I-BLE. A third of the race was run under caution with a red flag in the middle. People were driving like it was the last lap on every lap. I like good tough racing and all, but when they result in 103 caution, out of 300 total, laps, it's pretty dumb.

Josh, Bristol is ALWAYS that way! Get ready for the same deal in the cup race today.

It was HOR-I-BLE. A third of the race was run under caution with a red flag in the middle. People were driving like it was the last lap on every lap. I like good tough racing and all, but when they result in 103 caution, out of 300 total, laps, it's pretty dumb.

Josh, Bristol is ALWAYS that way! Get ready for the same deal in the cup race today.

Today's race was much better. Hardly noticed the COT after the start...