Your can't miss choice at 24

cover2

Who is the safest pick at 24? Antwon Odom certainly looks good but the questions remain and risk is high. Grove would probably be a safe bet but is 24 too high for him?

I don't think there is a DT or DE at 24 that is a can't miss.

The players on Offense at 24 look like a safer bet.

Give me your can't miss pick at 24.

Good Post Cover - 2.

1. Jake Grove - only because he's the highest rated player at his position. - I still think there are other quality centers in this draft, and taking an interior lineman that late in round 1 isn't good value.

2. Marcus Tubbs - He won't be there at # 49. or at least he shouldn't be. Good girth, great workout numbers, solid college production. Athletic enough to cause problems when he anchors against the run.

3. Of course my pick is Antwan Odom - Has good size, speed, and will get stronger and better with Marvin's coaching. He may not develop into Strahan, but he could be a very solid compliment to Justin Smith. Forseeably 2 defensive ends with close if not double digit sack numbers..

* D.J.Williams/Chris Gamble. - Gamble may not have great speed, but he's good value at # 24. While I've knocked him in the past, our apparent need (D.Weathersby) has arisen again, and Gamble can make plays on offense,Defense,and in the Return Game.

--D.J.Williams - Gives us another athletic linebacker that can make plays from sideline to sideline. He could be Brian Simmons with tenacity. His football IQ will get better as he progresses, and at # 24, could contribute right away.

1. Jake Grove - only because he's the highest rated player at his position. - I still think there are other quality centers in this draft, and taking an interior lineman that late in round 1 isn't good value.

2. Marcus Tubbs - He won't be there at # 49. or at least he shouldn't be. Good girth, great workout numbers, solid college production. Athletic enough to cause problems when he anchors against the run.

3. Of course my pick is Antwan Odom - Has good size, speed, and will get stronger and better with Marvin's coaching. He may not develop into Strahan, but he could be a very solid compliment to Justin Smith. Forseeably 2 defensive ends with close if not double digit sack numbers..

I couldn't agree more... I think any of these are a can't miss for the Bengals as a team looking at needs...

I personally love Tubbs. I can's get over how s**tty our run defense (if that is what you would call it) was last year and the thought of having him in there, Gardener, etc. is very promising and would take some stress off our CB's if we could push the middle more...

As much as everyone will hate it, looking at our situation with Weathersby (anyone heard anything?), I think Gamble will get a strong look at #24...

WHODEY !!!

If it were between Odom and Grove....I give the nod to Grove.

Our Offensive line is not deep and we got a rookie QB. Why not add a center who could start at guard and play center down the road. Frankly, this makes so much sense to me I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen. We need two Offensive players a OL and RB. Hell the rest of the picks could be defense. The pick at 24 has got to be a good one and Grove is the man.

1. Vernon Carey. Not necessarily who I want but you can't get much safer that this. Is a good value pick at 24, can play any position on the OL. It's like drafting 5 starter-quality backups at once for the OL, plus we could groom him to take over at C.

1b. Jake Grove. A little high at 24 perhaps, but nails down the C slot for the next 10 years. Immediately penciled in as starter, moving Braham to utility role. I just like Carey's flexibility a bit better, but admit it's a tough call.

2. Chris Gamble. I could almost put this as choice 1c but I have to make some kind of decision! :lol: Plus he may not be there, his stock is all over the board. Has all the tools, all the talent, just needs time to put it together. With so many day 1 picks we can afford to take a project with huge upside -- and if he can't go at CB there's always WR!

1b. Jake Grove. A little high at 24 perhaps, but nails down the C slot for the next 10 years. Immediately penciled in as starter, moving Braham to utility role. I just like Carey's flexibility a bit better, but admit it's a tough call.

Incorrect. Every draft expert ive read/talked to has said that Grove will need at least half of a season before he can take over as a starter. Most likely he is penciled in for the 2005 starter, but doesnt start in 04. Another reason why i think he will be around in the 2nd for us. If we want him there.

Incorrect. Every draft expert ive read/talked to has said that Grove will need at least half of a season before he can take over as a starter. Most likely he is penciled in for the 2005 starter, but doesnt start in 04. Another reason why i think he will be around in the 2nd for us. If we want him there.

The reasons why I don't want Grove there at # 24, because I think it's too high for his value.

1. He's been consistent enough to be a 2nd rounder, but first round centers had better be elite, and physically Grove isn't.

2. Grove's pass protection isn't as good as his run blocking, meaning he'll need time to develop there.

3. Bobbie Williams will start at right Guard this year, so adding a Vernon Carey who I like more than Grove , or Grove at # 24 aren't good options.

No, he would be inked in as the starter in 2005. The phrase "penciled in" implies that the state is conditional pending a lengthy look, and can be erased if he proves unready. (That's why I saw Braham being moved to backup instead of released.)

I would prefer to take him in the second, but I don't think he makes it to us at 49.

3. Bobbie Williams will start at right Guard this year, so adding a Vernon Carey who I like more than Grove , or Grove at # 24 aren't good options.

I disagree. I think they are excellent options. You can argue about Grove's value -- and I agree 24 would be high for him -- but the bottom line is that with the departure of CD, the offensive line just became job No. 1 on offense. We need it to be solid (as in brick-wall-solid) to protect Palmer, and we need every ounce of blocking they can give Rudi (so that we don't have to lean on Palmer's arm to win games). Last year we saw both Levi and Big Willie play hurt -- and we had that horrid Rehberg experience -- and Braham remains at center only because we haven't found a replacement. Gawd forbid he get hurt. And on top of that, yes, we do have Willimans starting at RG. The guy's a backup with one partial season of experience, and Eagles fans greeted his eparture with a loud yawn. I'm not saying he's a bad pickup, but am I the only one taking a wait-and-see attitude toward this guy?

I disagree. I think they are excellent options. You can argue about Grove's value -- and I agree 24 would be high for him -- but the bottom line is that with the departure of CD, the offensive line just became job No. 1 on offense. We need it to be solid (as in brick-wall-solid) to protect Palmer, and we need every ounce of blocking they can give Rudi (so that we don't have to lean on Palmer's arm to win games). Last year we saw both Levi and Big Willie play hurt -- and we had that horrid Rehberg experience -- and Braham remains at center only because we haven't found a replacement. Gawd forbid he get hurt. And on top of that, yes, we do have Willimans starting at RG. The guy's a backup with one partial season of experience, and Eagles fans greeted his eparture with a loud yawn. I'm not saying he's a bad pickup, but am I the only one taking a wait-and-see attitude toward this guy?

Hey I'm leery on Williams starting as well. There had to have been something about him that made him worth a 2nd round pick when he was drafted.?

* Either way , a guy like Carlos Joseph in round 4, can play tackle and guard, and would be a mammoth next to W.Anderson.

- Stacy Andrews is another big man, that could help in the running game, and may have the athleticism to start..

But the guy I like especially for the 3rd round...

Sean Lochlear G, N.C. State. - Tremendous upside to this guy, only played guard for a season and a half , after moving over from defensive line. He dominated Darnell Dockett and Chad Lavalais in the Senior Bowl, which makes him very high in my book.- He could be a star in the NFL .

Adrian Jones , a little small now, but he's someone to keep your eyes on too.

yeah, you're right....Carey could shore us up.....interchangable, invaluable to our O-Line....

Man there are SO many ways they could go now.....when's the last time that happened?

Hard to say who will be there at #24 but at this point, if Gamble is there, dont be surprised if we nab him. I just think all the better players will be gone at this point. I would love to see some unexpected beef fall to us such as Carey but I dont think he will make it past Miami. Do you take the chance and wait on Grove? Weird things happen in the draft. Grove may not be there at 24. But you got to love the speculation of it all. :D

Just to be clear, while I think o-line is the safest pick, I agree with everyone here that there is plenty of quality to go around in later rounds. In other words, the safe pick at 24 isn't necessarily the best pick. And there could be many better picks when 24 rolls around.