Lawrence Timmons on Cold Pizza

DuffMan

Im watching cold pizza interview Lawrence Timmons about his combine training. Says right now he's benching 225 about 27 times (hopes to get to 30) and running in the low 4.5s (hopes to get to 4.4s). If Timmons runs a sub-4.5 and benches 30+ at the combine, and somehow manages to get down to the 18th pick, would you take him over any other defensive prospect?

The 40 time is pretty over-rated... but if you have a LB that is running the 40 faster than a lot of the CB's that would be available, you've almost got to take him. One of our problems on the weak-side is the ability of our LB's in pass-coverage.

A LB that is that quick should not have so much of a problem covering most TE's (one of our biggest weaknesses in the past several years), and Timmons is also very good as a pass-rusher.

To answer the question... it depends completely on who is available... but to have physical specimens like Brooks and Timmons on the same squad would be straight scary.

The 40 time is over-rated. No player can run a 4.3 in the NFL with pads and equipment on. Reggie Bush can't, he runs like a 4.5 with all the Pads on, which is fast for a player with equipment on

Ya but reggie is faster with pads on then all those players who diden't run 4.3 with pads on their selfs....Jjoe is faster with pads on then any 1st rnd cb prospects this year...it's more way measure it but really you know if a player is fast or not without the combine.You don't need a 40time to know Timmons is faster then Willis,pos or most other high LB prospects...

but I don't want a safety.

Though even if we took one I don't wanna see madieu play corner outside of nickel packages,but we could use a young guy who would be future starter behind dexter who really hasen't had full season for quite some time.

The reason the 40 time is over-rated is because there is a skill to getting off to a quick start. A guy could have a slow 40 time just because he hasn't been trained well on how to start quickly. Inversely, a guy who doesn't really play all that fast on the field can havea deceptively fast 40 time if he has a history of running track.

All of that to say... I don't put a ton of stock in the 40 times. However, a LB running a 4.4 is impressive regardless of prior training.

Ya agreed it is overrated but like you said LB running 4.4 or dwight freeney running 4.4 is preatty impressive....but most time players like Hall or Mccauley I agree it's overrated you know hall is slower then crap his 40 doesn't matter...you know Mccauley is a burner and probbley fastest top 10 CB in this years draft.

If we drafted Timmons And we find out Odell returns as a bengal which postion do you think would be best for the young studs? Out of Odell,timmons and brooks who do you see making best WLB?

I'm not sure he'd make the best WLB, but I think he'd fit there the best among the three... Timmons. Odell seems to be a natural for MLB, and Brooks' pass rush ability would make him a fine SLB. Odell would probably be a better WLB than Timmons, but I'd rather keep him inside.

Timmons is growing on me. Even more than Willis.

I'm of the opinion that Odell is gone and Brooks is the future at MLB. Pollack could come back... but if not, Jeanty is suitable there (at least short term). Timmons has the skills to be good enough in pass coverage for weak-side, and would be well above average as a pass-rusher on the weak-side.

All of that to say... Simmons is old and his replacement needs to be found sooner than later. Timmons could easily be that guy (and we'd only have to change one letter on the jersey).

Timmons might be the guy I want more than anyone right now... but honestly I don't much care. For some reason there are a high number of guys that I'd be extremely happy with this year. Timmons is just the that is growing on me the fastest.