Poole Nails Workout

POSTED 7:46 p.m. EDT, April 16, 2004

USC D-BACK PULLS UP HIS DRAFT STOCK

A league source tells us that USC cornerback Will Poole significantly resurrected his draft stock on Friday, with a strong performance in a do-over workout.

Poole notched a median time of 4.55 in the 40 (we're trying to get more info as to the surface), and his best time in the short shuttle was 4.0 seconds.  He ran the three-cone drill in 6.60 seconds, notched a vertical of 33.5 inches and a broad jump of 10 feet.

Roughly a dozen teams attended Poole's effort to improve on his prior workout, which was subpar due to a recent illness that had caused Poole to drop more than ten pounds.  This time around, his weight was back up to 193, and his all-around performance was stronger.

Poole was Jerry Jones' (as in Drug Store List) alternate selection for the bengals first-round pick on 1360 earlier today (he wants a CB, likes Gamble first, Poole second). I could be happy with Will.

That is the best take on Poole I've heard yet. He's a great tackler and blitzer plus physical enough for the bump and run but if you watched the Rose Bowl, he couldn't stop the taller Brayson Edwards of Michigan. If it weren't for the USC pass rush led by Udeze, Navarre could have hit Edwards all day long over Poole.

I hope the CB draft is left until round 6 or 7 with a sleeper like Greg Golden of NC State who has a lot of upside.

Carolina got to the Super Bowl with a killer defensive line and a pair of quality safeties. Their CBs and LBs were very medicore but that's all they had to be because Jenkins, Buckner, Peppers, and Rucker relentlessly collapsed the pocket just about every play (except in the Super Bowl).

That is the best take on Poole I've heard yet. He's a great tackler and blitzer plus physical enough for the bump and run but if you watched the Rose Bowl, he couldn't stop the taller Brayson Edwards of Michigan. If it weren't for the USC pass rush led by Udeze, Navarre could have hit Edwards all day long over Poole.

I hope the CB draft is left until round 6 or 7 with a sleeper like Greg Golden of NC State who has a lot of upside.

Carolina got to the Super Bowl with a killer defensive line and a pair of quality safeties. Their CBs and LBs were very medicore but that's all they had to be because Jenkins, Buckner, Peppers, and Rucker relentlessly collapsed the pocket just about every play (except in the Super Bowl).

Actually Poole shut down Braylon Edwards for most of the game, a catch here or there splitting coverage with Marcell Almond hardly make him suspect in coverage as you claim...

However,Entering their senior years together, Marcell Almond was considered the safer pick and has better size and speed. He may not have made more big plays, but Almond had more pass defenses, which shows he plays the ball and receiver well. Poole's workout isn't impressive. 5-10 4.5's in the '40 are hardly first round material. But if he's there at # 49 I'd cosider him.

Poole will undoubtedly be long gone by #49. He'd be more than a longshot at #24.

The point about him covering taller players was demonstrated by the 10 catches by Edwards in the Rose Bowl, most of which seemed like were straight at Poole (I made damn sure to watch #28 because he was already getting kicked about as #17 by then). The good side out of the game was that Edwards only gained 106 yards.

Yes, Poole can tackle. He also has two sacks on blitzes.

But he can't keep a receiver like Burress from catching the ball. And I don't think he could hang with Hines Ward.

He's still seems solid and might turn out to be a great safety if he proves to slow or vertically leap challenged to play corner.

Considering the knocks on Poole, compared to the knocks on Chris Gamble, I'd rather have Gamble.- Better size, playmaking ability, speed is slightly better, but he's more athletic side to side according to their workout numbers.

* Chris Gamble is currently rising again on my board, so I'd take him over Poole.

Why..? Adds more to our team. - Gives us a return threat, size and speed in the secondary with good coaching his coverage abilities will get better, and could play offense as well if needed. Either way we'll get "bang" for our buck and he's a high profile player. Nothing wrong with good publicity. :D

* Chris Gamble is currently rising again on my board, so I'd take him over Poole.

I agree. I didnt like Gamble at 17 even though he was actually being projected to go before that point, but at 24 you have to consider the guy a steal. He may be one of the few potential impact players available at that point. Im still hoping for one of my earlier wishes in moving up to the Jets #12 hole.