Nascar Speedweeks start TODAY!

BengalszoneBilly

Get ready guys...the ride till November commences NOW! Let the roar of racing begin... :sure:

Daytona Speedweeks Schedule of Events

All times p.m. unless noted.

THURSDAY

Noon - 5 ARCA series practice

7 Budweiser Shootout drawing

FRIDAY

Noon ARCA qualifying (Two laps, all positions)

4:15 - 5 Budweiser Shootout practice

5:10 - 6:15 ARCA final practice

6:30 - 7:30 Budweiser Shootout final practice

SATURDAY, FEB. 10

10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Nextel Cup practice

1:30 -- 3 Nextel Cup practice

3:30 ARCA driver introductions

4:15 ARCA 200 (80 laps, 200 miles)

8 Budweiser Shootout driver introductions

8:30 Budweiser Shootout (70 laps, 175 miles)

SUNDAY, FEB. 11

2:10 Qualifying for Daytona 500 (Two laps, two positions)

WEDNESDAY, FEB. 14

Noon - 12:55 Nextel Cup practice

2:05 - 2:55 Final practice for Gatorade Duel

3 - 4:20 Busch Series practice

4:30 - 5:30 Truck Series practice

THURSDAY, FEB. 15

9 -- 9:30 a.m. Busch Series rookie practice

9:30 -- 10:55 a.m. Busch Series final practice

11 -- 11:30 a.m. Truck Series rookie practice

11:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m. Truck Series final practice

1:30 Nextel Cup driver introductions

2 Gatorade Duel At Daytona (Daytona 500 qualifying races - 60 laps, 150 miles, each)

7 Truck Series qualifying (Two laps, all positions)

FRIDAY, FEB. 16

1:40 - 2:40 Nextel Cup practice

3:05 Busch Series qualifying (Two laps, all positions)

7:30 Truck Series driver introductions

8 Truck Series race (100 laps, 250 miles)

SATURDAY, FEB. 17

10:35 -- 11:55 a.m. Nextel Cup final practice for Daytona 500

12:45 Busch Series driver introductions

1:15 Daytona 300 (120 laps, 300 miles)

SUNDAY, FEB. 18

2:30 Nextel Cup Series driver introductions

3:15 Daytona 500 (200 laps, 500 miles)

My son is currently down there with a group of students from the University of Northwestern Ohio who has an agreement with ARCA for the students to work with the teams in building thier cars. He drove all night last night by himself, worrying me sick just to participate in this. But isn't that what a good father is supposed to do? He is supposed to let me know what team he is assigned to some time today. So, in case anyone is interested, I will post the team he is on here.

Below is a copy of the article and the link posted on ARCA's web site.

http://www.arcaracing.com/content/view/4290/2/

ARCA RE/MAX Series Teams…Looking For Help at the Track?

UNOH Students Ready, Willing, and Able!

TOLEDO OH (1-22-07)--The University of Northwest Ohio, through a marketing partnership with ARCA, has begun registering qualified undergraduates for the 2007 UNOH Race Club, which offers students the opportunity to gain hands on experience at the track working for and with ARCA RE/MAX Series teams.

Since the program’s inception some five years ago, UNOH Supervisors have been bringing qualified students to Daytona and introducing themselves to ARCA RE/MAX Series teams, offering little to no-cost help for at-track crew members.

The program has grown in popularity each year since its inception, with both students and teams. In 2006, as many as 20 UNOH Students were working “full-time” with teams on the weekends, and several others participated in between 4-12 events.

“It’s a great program!” exclaimed Andrew O’Neal, Dean of the College of Technologies for UNOH. “With our curriculum and the opportunity to go to the racetrack and work with the race teams, our students gain the kind of hands-on experience that will allow them to excel in their endeavors to be in the motorsports industry. There can’t be a more valuable experience.”

With the season opening Daytona ARCA 200 now just a little more than 3 weeks away, the UNOH Race Club Students are once again gearing up for a trip to the beach, and a chance to make arrangements to help out a team.

ARCA RE/MAX Series teams interested in participating in the UNO Student program can reach out to Barry Stirn or Steve Klausing at the university and make arrangements to meet with students prior to Daytona. The phone number is (419) 227-3141.

The program requires that the team pay a one-time fee of $50 per student (to offset the cost of insurance), and ARCA will issue the student an annual hard card.

Here is an update on my son and the team he is assigned to this weekend. He is on the 07 Paul Dean Holt Racing Chevrolet team driven by Gerry Bruce. After todays practice, they ran 172 mph which puts them 61st fastest (is that an oxy-moron?). They obviously have a lot of work ahead of them. And if anyone is interested, he is actually working on the car, not just tinkering with it. I.E. actual hands on training. He told me they have made several changes to the car to try and make it faster but they still continue to struggle. I hope that they do find the speed needed to qualify. Because if not, it will be a short weekend for such a long drive.

Here is an update on my son and the team he is assigned to this weekend. He is on the 07 Paul Dean Holt Racing Chevrolet team driven by Gerry Bruce. After todays practice, they ran 172 mph which puts them 61st fastest (is that an oxy-moron?). They obviously have a lot of work ahead of them. And if anyone is interested, he is actually working on the car, not just tinkering with it. I.E. actual hands on training. He told me they have made several changes to the car to try and make it faster but they still continue to struggle. I hope that they do find the speed needed to qualify. Because if not, it will be a short weekend for such a long drive.

I envy them. Even if they do put the car back on the hauler, they still shared an experience they'll NEVER forget! B)

I envy them. Even if they do put the car back on the hauler, they still shared an experience they'll NEVER forget! B)

I do to. I would be down there with him but I had to take care of a minor issue here, which is now solved. When I spoke to him last night, he was so thrilled to be working on the car and talking to the driver. He is just loving life right now.

I do to. I would be down there with him but I had to take care of a minor issue here, which is now solved. When I spoke to him last night, he was so thrilled to be working on the car and talking to the driver. He is just loving life right now.

Sounds like the Arca Series is getting more competitive these days. Any idea what the speed of the top car is how much time he'll have to make up?

Sorry for not getting back sooner with an update as I have had a busy weekend. And who doesn't, right? Anyway. The 07 car failed to qualify Friday. The car actually never got past turn 2 as the transmission broke shifing from 2nd to 3rd. So they packed up and went home. But my son didn't head home as I first thought as he landed on the 11 car driven by Bryan Silas and was given the difficult assignment of bouncing the pit board up and down during pit stops. I guess he did such a good job that the crew chief and team owner would like for him to participate in as many races as possible. They also told him that they would spring for his room and board whenever he can make a race. So my son, who's name is Joshua, is flying on cloud 9 and is going to live a dream this year that the rest of us only hope to live for one race.

Sorry for not getting back sooner with an update as I have had a busy weekend. And who doesn't, right? Anyway. The 07 car failed to qualify Friday. The car actually never got past turn 2 as the transmission broke shifing from 2nd to 3rd. So they packed up and went home. But my son didn't head home as I first thought as he landed on the 11 car driven by Bryan Silas and was given the difficult assignment of bouncing the pit board up and down during pit stops. I guess he did such a good job that the crew chief and team owner would like for him to participate in as many races as possible. They also told him that they would spring for his room and board whenever he can make a race. So my son, who's name is Joshua, is flying on cloud 9 and is going to live a dream this year that the rest of us only hope to live for one race.

Well it appears as one door closed, another door opened! Good for him! :sure: