All-Time Moments in Bengals History

LABengalsFan09

Good poll, but the one that I would vote for most, would be game 16 of the 1988 season.

Redskins kicker Chip Morton lined up for a "chip" shot field goal to win the game with 5 seconds left, and the ball hit the upright !

* Of course, we win the game in overtime, giving us home field advantage, and an eventual birth in SuperBowl 23.

that is a sad state of affairs when your teams finest moment is the head coach yelling at the fans

i must be a lot older than most patrons here(i turned 30 yrs old during the 81 season)

the 81 bengals are my favorite all time Bengal team

the ICE BOWL is the greatest game on this list by far IMO

the freezer bowl was a definate game to remember. also loved the 21-0 shutdown of the brownies in cleveland on a snowy day back in 89 i believe. :D

One of my favorites, not on the list, was the 61-7 a**whipping the Bengals put on the Oilers in Dec. 1989. There was some bad blood between Sam and Jerry Glanville. I think it was 28-0 in the first quarter but there was no let-up that day.

I can't decide between the "Ice Bowl" and Wyche losing it, by bashing Cleveland. I was at both games and was just as pumped up by the atmosphere of the game as I was from the game itself. The jungle was OUT OF CONTROL !!! People were just going completely apes**t !! Once again, I don't think it has as much to do with someone getting the spotlight or bashing (Wyche), but it was to get the fans even more into the game and support the team. (Homefield advantage use to mean something back then !!) We need something like that to spark our team and fans this year. Anyone who was there, can attest to that. Say a little prayer for Weathersby and his family !!

WHODEY !!!

The Freezer Bowl was the best day in this franchise!!! What was great about it was that San Diego probably had the better team. Offensively, they couldn't be stopped.

Then they come to the "Frozen Tundra" in Riverfront Stadium.

That was a great game!!!

That's when the Bungles were the "Bengals". Great memories.

How about the moment when Bo Jackson of the Raiders broke off a long run, and was tackled from behind by a Bengal player (I don't know who).............seriously injuring his hip.

By no means am I saying this is the #1 All time moment in Bengal history, because it was tragic for Bo and for the league. But that Bengal tackle was the last time we saw this great running back on the field. For some reason that tackle sticks out in my mind. Maybe its also because that's a piece of ammo I use when arguing with Raider fan.

How about the moment when Bo Jackson of the Raiders broke off a long run, and was tackled from behind by a Bengal player (I don't know who).............seriously injuring his hip.

By no means am I saying this is the #1 All time moment in Bengal history, because it was tragic for Bo and for the league. But that Bengal tackle was the last time we saw this great running back on the field. For some reason that tackle sticks out in my mind. Maybe its also because that's a piece of ammo I use when arguing with Raider fan.

The player was Kevin Walker and that was the last time Bo played football and that was the Bengals last playoff game. "Curse of Bo"???

Have to go with the Sam comment. While that moment had nothing to do with winning a great victory or a championship, and it is kind of pathetic that that would be the best moment in any team's history, it was one of the most unique spectacles I've ever witnessed during a football game and one of my fondest memories (I was 11 during the freezerbowl). For a head coach to address the crowd during a game, is quite unusual to say the least, but it's what he said that made it such a great moment. Not only did he get people to stop disrupting the game by throwing snowballs onto the field, but he bashed the city of our arch rivals (who we weren't even playing) and whipped the crowd into a frenzy in the process. Talk about a great motiviator.

I think ML is going to be the greatest coach this franchise has ever seen, but I can't see him pulling a stunt like that. Thanks Sam!!

For me it was the "Ice Bowl"!! I was living in San Diego county at the time and was the ONLY Bengal fan in the bar. Everyone there was trash talkin' at me as to how bad Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow we going to whup the Bengals...

...then the television coverage started, and here come the visiting Chargers out first...extremely bundled up and still looking like they were shivering their collective asses off!! They had this "damn it's freakin' COLD!!" look in their eyes.

Then the Bengals were introduced...and they come trotting out, not one long sleeve to be seen, big bear uncovered necks with steam pouring out from under their helmets and through their ear holes in their helmets!! All this in the sub artic temperatures!!

The ENTIRE bar I was in went deadly silent...they just stood there with their mouths open staring in utter disbelief at the disparity in the appearance of the two teams!! It was like realization had DEFINITELY just set in, and they could see a long day ahead. Well they saw right!! :player:

They had this "damn it's freakin' COLD!!" look in their eyes.

Then the Bengals were introduced...and they come trotting out, not one long sleeve to be seen, big bear uncovered necks with steam pouring out from under their helmets and through their ear holes in their helmets!! All this in the sub artic temperatures!!

i remember that too

man, what a good game that was

thanx for bringing back the memories billy

Hiring Marvin Lewis just might be the greatest moment fo me.....

I agree on that one. What a change from the three headed monster Dave/Bruce/Dick.

It reminds me a little bit of when the Bengals hired Forrest Greeg in 1980. First of all he too was dumped by the Browns just like PB. Plus after suffereing through some bad late 70's football, his attitude and persona was just what was needed. He cleaned house and drafted Munoz. A year later they were in the Super Bowl.

We can only hope that history repeats itself with ML.

Commentary:

As fans go, probably the greatest moment that we'll find will come from our own personal experiences with the Cincinnati Bengals franchise. Perhaps there isn't a (one) defining moment in our teams 30 + year existence to which we can say " That is the greatest moment in Bengals history ".

For myself, I can remember going to my first Cincinnati Bengals training camp in 1983. I was 10 years old, chubby, and most of the Bengal players took out time to sign autographs, pictures, take cracks' that I was big enough to play out there with them :D . 2 things remind me of that hot day, One; I still have the autographs , and Two; the only autograph that wasn't signed came from Head coach Forrest Gregg.

My first Bengal game that I attended was the 34-7 drubbing of the Seattle Seahawks in 1986. I remember Louis Breeden had 3 ints' that game and took one back for a touchdown.

Or what about the tickets my brother got for me right before his passing to the Bengals/Oilers game in December 1991. The game we won 61-7. Reggie Williams "farewell" speach at Halftime, Riverfront stadium still covered in snow,and my best friend and I ( a Browns Fan ) were freezin our "collective - nuts " off and finished watching the game on the # 17 Northgate Mall shuttle bus, with the bus driver's 4 inch handheld color t.v.

The fact of the matter is, The "All time Moments in Bengals History" is an individual event. It's the event that takes people from different walks of life and brings them together on Sunday Afternoons and coincidentally a Monday night this year, all rooting for the boys' in stripes. It doesn't matter what moment it was that brought us together as Bengal fans, the Most important thing is, we kick some serious ASS this year.

WHO DEY !!

[The fact of the matter is, The "All time Moments in Bengals History" is an individual event. It's the event that takes people from different walks of life and brings them together on Sunday Afternoons and coincidentally a Monday night this year, all rooting for the boys' in stripes. It doesn't matter what moment it was that brought us together as Bengal fans]

Precisely, this is a poll for the moments that have endeared this team to us, and that we may all remember to say what we were doing at these moments and where we were at. For me, I voted for Spikes TD, because it lifted a monkey off of the teams back for sorts. We wdefeated the defending champs and for that moment, anyone who had ever called them the Bungles or still wanted to could shove it. I remember breaking out into tears the moment he tipped the ball to himself, and began streaking down the sideline with nothing but green in front of him. It was like releasing 11 years of frustration and anger and witnessing it turn into raw emotion. It validated them to some degree at that point and that was more than we as Bengals fans and their organization had felt in a long time. :player: