Keys to Ravens game

Bengalhead

We all know that turnovers play one of the biggest factors in winning games - especially when the Ravens and Steelers are involved. So lets assume the D must force 'em and the O must prevent 'em.

Aside from that, what do you guys think are the top three keys in winning this game Thursday? I'm going on record as saying Carson must stay clean. He's proven that if he has time to throw, he's back to form from last year.

What do you guys think?

While the early turnovers vs Balti in Balti hurt and were very ugly, we were in a position to overcome them had the offense executed. So I do not think that the turnovers are THE key to the game. Obviously I do not want to get started right off the bat by handing them the ball, let alone allowing them to score points defensively.

However, if we can eliminate the turnovers the game becomes much easier to win.

Key #1: Solid line play which leads to

Key #2: Running the ball effectively (which we did vs Balti in game #1) which will set up for

Key #3: Passing efficiency to move the chains and keep the defense honest

We need to see lots of play action off of successful running game and shots down the field over the top of the defense. We need to see efficiency especially on 3rd downs to keep the offense on the field, tire the Ravens D and keep our D fresh.

Finally, we need defensive consistency that we saw in the Browns game and limit the Ravens to FGs at best.

Like I said the first outing, stoping Heap is a huge need. I think we have matured a lot in the last few weeks on covering TE's. One can probably predict 70% of the time on 3rd downs Baltimore is going to throw to Heap and if we can stop that then we have a huge advantage of winning. Getting pressure on McNair will help this situation out quit a bit too. By getting pressure on McNair he most likely would dump it off to Jamal. So all in all if we can stop Heap and Jamal then we will win and not turning the ball over of course.

1) Give Palmer time to throw. If he's given time to pick apart the defense, they are very beatable.

2) Don't allow 8 minute drives... especially allowing several 3rd and long conversions.

That's pretty much it for me. Back when we played them the first time, these were two of the biggest issues (aside from the early 14 points off turnovers).

The biggest key IMO is that the Bengals 3 primary WRs play the entire game. No doubt Billick & Co. noticed that the Bengals offense looked a little different after Marlon McCree jacked Housh early and the LB knocked him out of the game. Quite a difference between throwin for Housh than Glenn Holt. :wacko: I wouldn't be surprised if the Ratbird staff has stressed for the secondary to be physical so much that they get the picture too.

K-Dub might be back but if he gets in, the rust will be audible. Other than that, Reggie McNeal saw some time last week and maybe they got a few plays involving him, especially on 4 WR sets or if somebody has to come in as a #3.

This is one game where Chris Perry would've been useful in 4 WR sets or as a #3. As it stands, if the Bengals opt to not put a #3 in if something happens to the main 3, I would expect a lot of split backfield with Watson, Rudi and Stewart but hopefully less Stewart because his blitz pickup is weak and Rudi has made great strides this year in that department.

Other than that, Reggie McNeal saw some time last week and maybe they got a few plays involving him, especially on 4 WR sets or if somebody has to come in as a #3.

Ew, Ew, do you think we have some TRICKERATION up our sleeves for the birdies? :lol:

:cheers:

An end around to Reggie then a pass to CJ. oops I might have just given something away.

Other than that, Reggie McNeal saw some time last week and maybe they got a few plays involving him, especially on 4 WR sets or if somebody has to come in as a #3.

Ew, Ew, do you think we have some TRICKERATION up our sleeves for the birdies? :lol:

:cheers:

An end around to Reggie then a pass to CJ. oops I might have just given something away.

I'd say that would work better than throwing the ball over Glenn Holt's head on 4th and do or die. :wacko: Sooner or later McNeal is going to pop up and now looks as good as any. But the weapons they got really ought to be plenty for this game as long as Palmer gets time.

I don't CARE if it's a low scoring game (not likely) or high scoring game, we will win if we can do THREE of the following four:

1) Win the turnover war.

2) Rudi outrushes Jam-job, or at least is within 20 yards.

3) Carson outperforms the Bengal killer McNair (QB Rating)

4) We do not give up ANY big special teams plays.

Unfortunately, if we can only attain two of these 4, we probably lose a close one.

Don't believe me? Try any combination!!

Grizzly - if you're referring to the ravens not having been down by more than 2 tds, we were down by 19 in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago (and oh, yeah, came back and won).

This game will turn on the ravens pass rush versus the Bengals blitz pickup. Expect absolute insanity in the blitz packages. I remember hearing some of the Steelers saying after the game that they were very confused, that we were blitzing out of packages "we weren't supposed to be blitzing out of" (or something very close to that).

Palmer gets time to throw, you score points, you stay in the game. We get half the pressure we got on sunday against Big Ben and Palmer's proverbial goose is cooked. I don't care who your qb is, if you're getting "Jacked Up"â„¢ every other play you can't be effective.

1. 3rd downs - we need to stop the Ravens making sizeable plays on 3rd and 5yards or more - something we have struggled with all season it seems.

2. Stop Jamal running for a bus load and more yards

3. Put in place our own effective running game, block well for Rudi, let him rack up the yards and control the clock.

4. Clear up the gout in my toe so that I can scream and shout at the TV all night rahter than scream and shout in pain!!

This game will turn on the ravens pass rush versus the Bengals blitz pickup. Expect absolute insanity in the blitz packages. I remember hearing some of the Steelers saying after the game that they were very confused, that we were blitzing out of packages "we weren't supposed to be blitzing out of" (or something very close to that).

Palmer gets time to throw, you score points, you stay in the game. We get half the pressure we got on sunday against Big Ben and Palmer's proverbial goose is cooked. I don't care who your qb is, if you're getting "Jacked Up"â„¢ every other play you can't be effective.

Maybe the mighty Ratbird D is disguising its blitz packages better now. Vs. the Bengals the 1st time around, the blitz didn't have a major impact. Thomas got a sack on the 1st Bengals possession but after that the only other sack came from Trevor Pryce whooping Eric Steinbach and a TE. The closest blitz sack was a blown pickup out of a split backfield by Tony Stewart on Bart Scott on 3-10 from the Rat 41.

There were games when Palmer had lots of pressure but not that game. The problem was Palmer's throws. He threw crap throw after crap throw in that game and it wasn't because of pressure. As good as he played in 2004 in Balti, he played just as bad this year.

I would expect the Bengals to run a lot of split backfield on 3rd and longs with probably Kenny Watson and Reggie Kelly handling the pickups and either leaking out when the blitz does not come. Palmer won't need too much time, though, because the Ratbird secondary is the weakest link of that defense and has no chance to stop the Bengals 3 WRs. If Palmer throws the ball like he has been, he'll carve that D to pieces.

1. Nobody is mistaking the Bengals for the Titans, true we gave up a 21 point lead, but the Ravens Offense is not the Chargers Offense. Not to mention that the Bengals are playing with a lot more pride since that embarrasment.

2. If the Ravens blitz the Bengals the same way they blitzed the squealers, they will get torched. for a couple of reasons: Parker has never seen a blitz, let alone picked one up, Bengals backs are excellent in blitz pickup, how many times was the Ravens blitz successful in the first meeting? Right, I thought so.

3. With the exception of the Bengals offense spotting the Ravens 14 points, the Bengals defense only gave up 4 FGs. We are playing even better now. Ravens offense will not be able to keep pace.

:bengal:

Grizzly - if you're referring to the ravens not having been down by more than 2 tds, we were down by 19 in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago (and oh, yeah, came back and won).

I don't know how you can compare our improved o-line to pissburgh's o-line. Basically all pissburgh's line is is Harting and what I saw last week was not sacks from the middle but from the out side. We've got two or three of the best tackles in the league, one being a rook, so don't expect as much pressure as last week.