Houshmandzadeh cleared

Tasher

Houshmandzadeh cleared

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5690

12:50 p.m.

Right guard Stacy Andrews’ juices were flowing so quickly Thursday night in anticipation of his first NFL start that he admitted that he had to call “my little brother Shawn,” in order to settle down.

With the 6-4, 340-pound Shawn offering some big advice at night and Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson adding some of his own during the day, Andrews and his three years of seasoning probably make him better prepared for his regular-season debut than any Bengals’ lineman in recent memory.

“(Anderson) and I have been talking constantly,” said Andrews before Friday’s practice. “We get grade sheets after every game and I’m just looking to get a very high grade, focusing on my technique and footwork.”

Another you-just-never-know NFL lesson played out again Wednesday.

Andrews has spent three years of countless of practices, 12 preseason games, regular special teams work and an occasional snap at tight end on short-yardage and goal-line situations, and has never received the call. Its tough when the right tackle you back up is about to make his 106th straight start and the right guard you back up is believed to have missed all but one snap since Andrews arrived in 2004.

But at practice Wednesday, right guard Bobbie Williams, who doesn’t miss any snaps in practice, either, suddenly called for the trainer, and Andrews was just as suddenly getting in a stance. Word later filtered through that Williams had an appendectomy, which should take him out of the next three games.

“I was shocked. But I’ve had experience starting in the preseason and I’ve practiced a lot,” Andrews said. “It’s more of a matter mentally. After today’s practice, I’m going to through the playbook again and visualize what have to do.”

This isn’t exactly a throw-away preseason finale in Indy where the Colts play 0.5 starters. The Saints have one of the best defensive fronts in the NFL and his foe, 6-2, 298-pound Brian Young, is second in the league among defensive tackles with 4.5 sacks.

Throw in the din of the Louisiana Superdome and who said it was going to be easy? Andrews thinks he caught a break this week with head coach Marvin Lewis moving practice into Paul Brown Stadium instead of holding it across the street on the practice fields.

At either place, Lewis jacks up recorded crowd noise to simulate what the offense is going face.

“It’s louder in the stadium because the noise surrounds you,” Andrews said. “They’ve got two loudspeakers (at the practice field), but it’s not as loud as inside.”

INJURY UPDATE: Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh (concussion) was cleared Friday morning to appear on the field and he looks ready for Sunday. Running back Rudi Johnson (thigh) and middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks (groin), who didn’t practice Thursday but were probable, appeared on the field early indicating they could be ready. Strong safety Dexter Jackson (Achilles), rated as questionable, also appeared early on the field.