Michigan/OSU is here!

derekshank

I think that the Buckeye's will win because of one word... balance.

Michigan is clearly the 2nd best team in the country (Michigan would beat Florida and USC soundly). But Michigan is not a balanced team. They are the best in the country in run defense, but they are vulnerable against the pass. They aren't even in the top 50 in the country, giving up over 200 yards/game through the air. OSU is much more balanced ranked 23rd in pass defense, and 11th in rush defense.

Michigan is the statistically better rushing team (athough I would argue that the Buckeyes have much better RB depth) ranked 12th in the country compared to OSU ranked 20th. But OSU is 37th in passing offense. Michigan is nowhere near the top 50 throwing for only 178 yards a game.

The reason Ohio State will win this game is because there is no one way to beat them. If you can slow down Michigan's running game, and your offense can throw the ball, they are beatable. But with OSU... even if you can focus and stop one aspect of their game, they'll beat you with another. They are too balanced. They are among the best in the country in every category, making them nearly impossible to beat. It would take a truly perfect game-plan and execution from Michigan to win this game... and I just don't see it happening.

All of your points are valid except there is one important ingrediant missing. Big Game Coach!!! Who would you rather have as you coach for the biggest game of the year? Lloyd Carr or Jim Tressle. Mr. Tressle will have the Buckeyes ready as usual for the Wolves on Saturday and Mr. Carr will be on the hot seat again because he can't beat the Buckeyes. The only thing that might save his job is winning the Rose Bowl. Unless they draw Boise State, I would not expect them to win that one as well.

I do know I've been watching this rivalry long enough to know that anything can happen. Stats mean nothing, past performances mean nothing.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of pundits(even Eddie George) say that while OSU is clearly the better team, for some reason they think Mich is going to win.

All I do know is Saturday I'm either doing some victory drinking or drinking up my sorrows. Either way, I'll be drunk :sure:

I do know I've been watching this rivalry long enough to know that anything can happen. Stats mean nothing, past performances mean nothing.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of pundits(even Eddie George) say that while OSU is clearly the better team, for some reason they think Mich is going to win.

All I do know is Saturday I'm either doing some victory drinking or drinking up my sorrows. Either way, I'll be drunk :sure:

The pundits only remember the dark days of John Cooper, 2-10-1 against that team from up north. The pundits don't see the sunny days of Jim Tressle, 4-1 against that same team from up north. Things are different now. Michigan can't beat it's arch rival.

Yes, in this rivalry, the greatest in all of sports, anything can happen. So until the final gun fires on Saturday, I will be watching with butterflies in my stomach and my fingers and toes crossed. And yes, I to will have some alcohol based beverages to celebrate the victory or numb the pain. But I believe it will be in celebration. GO BUCKEYES!!!!

troy smith has yet to lose to the wolverines. now it all depends on which troy smith shows up. if its the one that showed up against the illini it could be a long game.

You tell em BEAR!!!!! :sure:

I think that the Buckeye's will win because of one word... balance.

Michigan is clearly the 2nd best team in the country (Michigan would beat Florida and USC soundly). But Michigan is not a balanced team. They are the best in the country in run defense, but they are vulnerable against the pass. They aren't even in the top 50 in the country, giving up over 200 yards/game through the air. OSU is much more balanced ranked 23rd in pass defense, and 11th in rush defense.

Michigan is the statistically better rushing team (athough I would argue that the Buckeyes have much better RB depth) ranked 12th in the country compared to OSU ranked 20th. But OSU is 37th in passing offense. Michigan is nowhere near the top 50 throwing for only 178 yards a game.

The reason Ohio State will win this game is because there is no one way to beat them. If you can slow down Michigan's running game, and your offense can throw the ball, they are beatable. But with OSU... even if you can focus and stop one aspect of their game, they'll beat you with another. They are too balanced. They are among the best in the country in every category, making them nearly impossible to beat. It would take a truly perfect game-plan and execution from Michigan to win this game... and I just don't see it happening.

Derek if OSU wins I think the word is HOMEFIELD! Its hard to win there.... :unsure:

troy smith has yet to lose to the wolverines. now it all depends on which troy smith shows up. if its the one that showed up against the illini it could be a long game.

You tell em BEAR!!!!! :sure:

Troy Smith always has had a big game against the Wolves. He ran them ragged in 2004 and was an escape artist in 2005. Each time, the Wolves were wondering what had just happened to them.

Against the Illini, that was the only bad he has had since Penn State last season. Which is the last time the Buckeyes lost. One off game does not make him inconsistant. He is the most consistant quarterback in the nation and is considered the best at his position. If I was a fan for that team up north, which I am not, I would hope and prey that he gets lost on his way to The Shoe. Of course this is wishful thinking as I am sure that he will arrive at the stadium on time, ready to make it 3 in a row!!! GO BUCKEYES!!!

Another reason the Buckeyes will win: THE SWEATER VEST!!!! Jim Tressel spends 364 days a year planning to beat Michigan.

O-H...

:lmao: Who knew that as a Coach in football, your best defense was a sweater vest? They should retire that thing once his career is over.

Here's something to stir the pot though: If OSU beats the team up north, should they remain #2? I think they should. I do not see how losing to the number one team should drop you lower than #2 if there is no other team really good enough to take your place. There could have been an argument for Texas, but not anymore. Louisville is also out of the question now. There are some undefeated teams left, but who among them has a schedule or is impressive enough to earn the #2 spot? So, in my dream world, OSU beats Michigan and then plays them again for the national championship, creating the college football game to end all college football games. If that happened, and OSU beat them again for the championship, they would have faced and beaten the #2 team four times in one season, their greatest rival twice, and solidify them as possibly the greatest college football team to ever take the field!

No doubt all the Buckeye and Wolverine fans are going to get all psyched up about this one. May you all keep your eyes in your head. :cheers:

From a draft perspective, this kind of matchup -- a #1 vs. #2-- is also a feast for the eyes. And the Michigan front 7 is what I'll be most interested in watching in addition to how Troy Smith fares and whether Leon Hall and Ginn get matched in man. Personally, I really don't see how the Bucks can crack the Michigan D more than the Wolverine offense can crack the Bucs D. But Teddy Ginn could turn out a one-man show for this one -- and it will probably be a must for OSU to win.

Personally, I really don't see how the Bucks can crack the Michigan D more than the Wolverine offense can crack the Bucs D. But Teddy Ginn could turn out a one-man show for this one -- and it will probably be a must for OSU to win.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinion... but this one just comes down to talent. Michigan is #1 against the run... but 65th against the pass. Antonio Pittman, Chris Wells, and Troy Smith running the ball is enough of a threat that Michigan will still have to play tough run defense... but they won't be able to cover the deepest set of WR's in college football as well.

Ohio State may have to become fairly one-dimensional early... but Michigan has shown that they are vulnerable against a good passing game, even if the running game isn't there. Then, later on if OSU gets a lead, the Buckeyes will continue to spread the defense with the passing game... and eventually the running game will come.

I'm not saying it's going to be an easy win. No such thing in a rivalry game like this... but OSU's offense is simply too talented for Michigan's secondary. They may have the best front 7 in college football, but they don't have the best overall defense, and OSU will be able to score. Like I said earlier... the Buckeyes are just too balanced.

In a minor related note, all of the high school playoff games on Saturday will begin 1/2 hour later at 7:30 to give fans a chance to get to their games in a timely manner following the OSU-Michigan game.

This shows the magnitude of the game. Outside of a natural disaster, nothing delays high school football except Ohio State and that team from up north football game.

Ohio State may have to become fairly one-dimensional early... but Michigan has shown that they are vulnerable against a good passing game, even if the running game isn't there. Then, later on if OSU gets a lead, the Buckeyes will continue to spread the defense with the passing game... and eventually the running game will come.

The Bucs ought to just come out in a spread option. I'd imagine Troy Smith will have to be the one doing the running and throwing off the run when he doesn't for the Buckeyes to move the chains.

If Ball State is an example of Michigan's vulnerability to the passing game, I wouldn't be too sure. Nate Davis has a big time arm -- bigger than any starting QB in the Big Ten and bigger than Brady Quinn's -- plus he throws on the run and off balance with Farvre-like zip.

The Bucs ought to just come out in a spread option. I'd imagine Troy Smith will have to be the one doing the running and throwing off the run when he doesn't for the Buckeyes to move the chains.

If Ball State is an example of Michigan's vulnerability to the passing game, I wouldn't be too sure. Nate Davis has a big time arm -- bigger than any starting QB in the Big Ten and bigger than Brady Quinn's -- plus he throws on the run and off balance with Farvre-like zip.

That is EXACTLY how they should start the game. Spread that defense out and use your speed advantage to make plays. I wouldn't use Ball State as an example. Ball State doesn't have Ted Ginn and Anthony Gonzolez split wide, with an accurate mobile QB to buy time.

If I was Tressel, I'd make Saturday the Troy Smith show, especially in the first half. Spread em out and let Troy make the best decision.

GO BUCKS!!!!

If I was Tressel, I'd make Saturday the Troy Smith show, especially in the first half. Spread em out and let Troy make the best decision.

GO BUCKS!!!!

The Troy Smith show has already been displayed against Michigan twice before and has proven to be very successful. I would venture to say that Michigan will see a 3rd Troy Smith Show and suffer the same frustrating experiance as the past two seasons.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!

Well, I'm going to guess that it was more than Ball State that contributed to Michigan being ranked 66th in passing defense (they've allowed over 200 passing yards in 6 of their 11 games). And if throwing on the run off balance is what it takes to get to Michigan's secondary, I'm going to be pretty happy that we have Troy Smith playing for us. Given his ability to scramble and adlib with the best set of receivers in college football, I'll bet he'll find a way to succeed.

ONE?

:P

Oh, right! Brandon on the practice squad? I don't think that counts! :o

Chris Perry. And don't forget that John Cooper is still on the staff.

Chris Perry... yeah. Did you guys see his comments about the game?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...2/1054/SPORTS06

Troy Smith's Heisman is B.S.? Nevermind that he's the QB of the #1 team that has gone wire to wire thus far. Nevermind his 168.7 passer efficiency. Nevermind his more than 8:1 TD:Int ratio. Yeah... that's some B.S.

And Tressel's been cheating? Care to back that statement up? How exactly has he been cheating? Or maybe you're just still bitter about the fact that Lloyd Carr has lost 4 out of 5 to Tressel.

Look... I'm a buckeye fan, so maybe these comments hit a nerve more than most would... but this is just another reason for a Bengal fan like myself to be fed up with 2-carry Perry. A wasted 1st round pick - A Michigan alum - Talks ridiculous in nature trash - A game he's not a part of - Further separting him from the majority of Bengal fans. Idiot.

ONE?

:P

Oh, right! Brandon on the practice squad? I don't think that counts! :o

Chris Perry. And don't forget that John Cooper is still on the staff.

Chris Perry... yeah. Did you guys see his comments about the game?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...2/1054/SPORTS06

Troy Smith's Heisman is B.S.? Nevermind that he's the QB of the #1 team that has gone wire to wire thus far. Nevermind his 168.7 passer efficiency. Nevermind his more than 8:1 TD:Int ratio. Yeah... that's some B.S.

And Tressel's been cheating? Care to back that statement up? How exactly has he been cheating? Or maybe you're just still bitter about the fact that Lloyd Carr has lost 4 out of 5 to Tressel.

Look... I'm a buckeye fan, so maybe these comments hit a nerve more than most would... but this is just another reason for a Bengal fan like myself to be fed up with 2-carry Perry. A wasted 1st round pick - A Michigan alum - Talks ridiculous in nature trash - A game he's not a part of - Further separting him from the majority of Bengal fans. Idiot.

Usually when I read comments like that, I'll reserve judgement in case they were made tongue-in-cheek or taken out of context. But this is just a case of someone ignorantly bumping his gums; jealous that he didn't play in a game this big when he played in college, and pissed that his best playing days are behind him.