U of L vs. WVU

I know most everyone on the board loves the buckeyes, but there was always a little love for the mountaineers too. I'm going out on a limb and predicting a big mountaineer victory tonight, maybe by as many as ten points.

Whatever the outcome, since OSU and UM play later, the debate for number two will continue. If the winner tonight wins out and the other game doesn't end in a 0-0 tie, then I say that team will be worthy of a title shot. It may make no difference though because the buckeyes look awfully good.

You aren't a real football fan if you aren't excited about the game tonight. The difference in this game in my opinion is the absence of Michael Bush. The Cards have been banged up, and WVU will be too fast.

BTW, i think OSU and Michigan are by far the best two teams in the country. While I think WVU's speed will give anybody trouble, I'm rooting for OSU-Mich to play twice this year :D

I'd say the Mountaineers will dominate U of L....not out of any hate or love for either team....but just because the speed on offense between Pat White and Steve Slaton is obscene. There's ways to conatin that speed but I don't think the Cards got the personnel to do it. Defensively, West Virginia probably bends a lot more than usual and the Cards put up some point with Brohm having a couple games back under his belt but this one looks like it should be about 41-24. I'd say the 1 player on defense who should have a monster game is the WVA LB Boo McLee.

BTW, i think OSU and Michigan are by far the best two teams in the country. While I think WVU's speed will give anybody trouble, I'm rooting for OSU-Mich to play twice this year :D

Why on earth would you want to see two teams play twice??? What is decided if they split the decisions? I recall this happening a few years back (I'm too lazy to do the research) and it was one of the most disapointing championship seasons ever. Besides, I cannot say that I think Michigan looks all that great.

Syracuse pushed Iowa around into overtime and should have won :lmao: (yeah their QB is great blah blah), So I cannot say beating Iowa is significant or difficult. :bengal: Yes Michigan has gaudy statistics on defense but so what? Beating the dome heads is their significant win...big deal. The domeheads are the most over rated team in the country.

If OSU is all that then they should and will defeat the wolverines easily ending all debate.

Th real worry for the BCS is if Rutgers somehow runs the table. :o

Yes Michigan has gaudy statistics on defense but so what?

Not as gaudy as they are played up to be. Their rushing defense is far and away the best in the country... but their pass defense is decidedly average (not even in the top 50). Ohio State's defense is actually much more balanced being ranked 33rd in passing defense and 17th in rushing defense. Maybe not elite in either category... but balance means no weaknesses to be exposed.

For all the talk about OSU's offense... their defense is still in the top 10 in yardage (which will only get better over the next 2 weeks), and we are #1 in scoring defense allowing only 7.3 pts/game. It's sick. A team that has to replace 9 starters should not be able to do these kinds of things.

But back to the original thread... West Virginia's defense was exposed tonight, revealing that their schedule did have a lot to do with their overwhelming success. I was impressed with Louisville, but will root for them to lose to Rutgers or Pitt. I think if Louisville sneaks into the National Championship game, it won't be fun to watch for anyone but Ohio State fans, and even then it might hurt the overall impression of the Bucks in the eyes of history.

I think Ohio State vs a 1 loss Florida or Auburn would be a much more competitive game.

Yes Michigan has gaudy statistics on defense but so what?

Not as gaudy as they are played up to be. Their rushing defense is far and away the best in the country... but their pass defense is decidedly average (not even in the top 50). Ohio State's defense is actually much more balanced being ranked 33rd in passing defense and 17th in rushing defense. Maybe not elite in either category... but balance means no weaknesses to be exposed.

For all the talk about OSU's offense... their defense is still in the top 10 in yardage (which will only get better over the next 2 weeks), and we are #1 in scoring defense allowing only 7.3 pts/game. It's sick. A team that has to replace 9 starters should not be able to do these kinds of things.

But back to the original thread... West Virginia's defense was exposed tonight, revealing that their schedule did have a lot to do with their overwhelming success. I was impressed with Louisville, but will root for them to lose to Rutgers or Pitt. I think if Louisville sneaks into the National Championship game, it won't be fun to watch for anyone but Ohio State fans, and even then it might hurt the overall impression of the Bucks in the eyes of history.

I think Ohio State vs a 1 loss Florida or Auburn would be a much more competitive game.

UofL has had a quality offense for many years now. Under Petrino, the Cards are competitive consistently on both sides of the ball. It should be known that UofL has put its fair number of players into the NFL. Them getting into the National Championship game coming from the BigEast is not such a bad thing. The Bucks will have to stop their considerdable offensive threat to win. In the eyes of history, it should look like a classic matchup of the Super Offense versus the Super Defense. No harm done in that.

I'm here to eat a plate of crow :( You cannot lay the rock on the ground and win. Oh and you have to cover punts. It was painful to watch in many ways. The good news for WVU fans is neither Slaton nor White can go to the NFL next year.

Louisville is very impressive offensively. If they have a meltdown at rutgers things will get interesting in the BCS picture. I'm now thinking the Big East will finish in a three way tie between UL, WVU and Rutgers each with one loss. Speaking of gaudy defensive numbers, check out Rutgers'.

I've watched Auburn a few times and they play really good defense, but where's the Offense (same for Florida). I doubt either team could score enough points to beat Louisville (or WVU).

UofL has had a quality offense for many years now. Under Petrino, the Cards are competitive consistently on both sides of the ball. It should be known that UofL has put its fair number of players into the NFL. Them getting into the National Championship game coming from the BigEast is not such a bad thing. The Bucks will have to stop their considerdable offensive threat to win. In the eyes of history, it should look like a classic matchup of the Super Offense versus the Super Defense. No harm done in that.

Louisville's offense is good... but I think calling it super is a bit of an overstatement. What defense have they faced? And please don't say Miami. That team is a joke too.

Louisville is clearly a very good team, but I just don't think they are better than a 1-loss team like Florida simply because of the schedule. And the eyes of history won't see Louisville as a prolific offense. We aren't talking about USC with Leinart and Bush. We aren't even talking Miami with McGahee and Andre Johnson.

There are a ton of people who believe Louisville isn't as good as Florida... so the eyes of history will remember that we didn't have to play the best available team for the national championship. Utah was possible the best offense in 2004, but they didn't get to play for the Championship. Why? Because they didn't play anyone.

The Cardinals just won the biggest game in their history. It was a regular season game! The eyes of history won't look favorably on the Buckeyes if they win a national championship against a team that has never been in the top 5 before.

I'd much rather play a team with a proven record in history, as well as a team that has had a difficult schedule to prove their skill. It would prove more... as well as more than likely be the better game. Lousiville may very well be a top 5 team... I just don't believe they are the 2nd best team in the country... so I don't think they should play for the Championship.

Louisville's offense is good... but I think calling it super is a bit of an overstatement. What defense have they faced? And please don't say Miami. That team is a joke too.

Louisville is clearly a very good team, but I just don't think they are better than a 1-loss team like Florida simply because of the schedule. And the eyes of history won't see Louisville as a prolific offense. We aren't talking about USC with Leinart and Bush. We aren't even talking Miami with McGahee and Andre Johnson.

There are a ton of people who believe Louisville isn't as good as Florida... so the eyes of history will remember that we didn't have to play the best available team for the national championship. Utah was possible the best offense in 2004, but they didn't get to play for the Championship. Why? Because they didn't play anyone.

The Cardinals just won the biggest game in their history. It was a regular season game! The eyes of history won't look favorably on the Buckeyes if they win a national championship against a team that has never been in the top 5 before.

I'd much rather play a team with a proven record in history, as well as a team that has had a difficult schedule to prove their skill. It would prove more... as well as more than likely be the better game. Lousiville may very well be a top 5 team... I just don't believe they are the 2nd best team in the country... so I don't think they should play for the Championship.

I hear what your saying Derek, and I partially agree. However, what's the best way to judge a team? I'd say it's obviously done by wins and losses. If Louisville remains the only other unbeaten team in the nation, they deserve to play for the title. Doesn't matter what their history is, and you can't blame the players for the schedule.

I don't think Louisville is the second best team in the nation either. But thier undfeated in a BCS conference, and you can't punsih the team for things completely out of their control. Luckily, for the BCS, these things usually have a way fo working itself out.

This is part of what I dislike about college football today. You cannot have a great team for one season and be considered championship caliber.

Let's examine this weekend's games.

Maryland beats Clemson At Clemson (WVU THUMPED the terps earlier this year, but they haven't played anyone, right <_< )

Mississppi State thumped Alabama at alabama (WVU thumped MSU at MSU, but they haven't played anyone :angry: )

Meanwhile, OSU squeeked past Illinois, the perenial power.

Michigan BARELY beats ball st (ball state :lmao: I cannot stop laughing) yet these are great teams???

Give me a effing break.

The SEC is well the SEC and Florida is not a very good football team. They will lose another before the year ends, so forget about them. Same goes for Arkansas and Auburn.

If Louisville runs the table they shoud play the MU-OSU winner for the title. But the way those two played yesterday it's imaginable that both of them will have a loss by the end of the year. :bengal:

This is part of what I dislike about college football today. You cannot have a great team for one season and be considered championship caliber.

Let's examine this weekend's games.

Maryland beats Clemson At Clemson (WVU THUMPED the terps earlier this year, but they haven't played anyone, right <_< )

Mississppi State thumped Alabama at alabama (WVU thumped MSU at MSU, but they haven't played anyone :angry: )

Meanwhile, OSU squeeked past Illinois, the perenial power.

Michigan BARELY beats ball st (ball state :lmao: I cannot stop laughing) yet these are great teams???

Give me a effing break.

The SEC is well the SEC and Florida is not a very good football team. They will lose another before the year ends, so forget about them. Same goes for Arkansas and Auburn.

If Louisville runs the table they shoud play the MU-OSU winner for the title. But the way those two played yesterday it's imaginable that both of them will have a loss by the end of the year. :bengal:

Whatever you say buddy.

Nevermind that Ohio State's Stength of Schedule is stonger than any team in the Big East... including WVU and Lousiville. Nevermind that despite that fact, Ohio State continues to have the largest margin of victory average in the country, outscoring their oppponents 340-76 (an average of 26.4 pts/game). Nevermind that in all of the polls, the highest ranked one-loss team is Texas... a team that OSU beat like a red-headed step child in their house.

Yep... WVU beat the Terps. I've got no argument.

Whatever you say buddy.

Nevermind that Ohio State's Stength of Schedule is stonger than any team in the Big East... including WVU and Lousiville. Nevermind that despite that fact, Ohio State continues to have the largest margin of victory average in the country, outscoring their oppponents 340-76 (an average of 26.4 pts/game). Nevermind that in all of the polls, the highest ranked one-loss team is Texas... a team that OSU beat like a red-headed step child in their house.

Yep... WVU beat the Terps. I've got no argument.

Once again I'll say Texas is over rated. OSU is really good. Michigan looks pretty good. Wisconsin is playing really good football, but OSU will not play them :P so any big ten trophy they might win should have an asterics. <_< It's a shame that conference allows this to happen.

Just because Texas had a great team last year doesn't mean they are great this year. They still have A&M on the schedule and a likely big 12 championship game, so another loss is likely for them.

No one in the sec will finish with one loss IMHO. So that leaves Louisville (who I think might be upset by Rutgers tonight). God forbid Rutgers finishing undefeated.

I hate the strength of schedule stat. What is it and how is it determined????? I know what it's supposed to measure, but I doubt it's a quality stat.

Wisconsin is playing really good football, but OSU will not play them :P so any big ten trophy they might win should have an asterics.

So let me get this straight... If OSU goes undefeated, and pounds Michigan (who beat Wisconsin) you think that OSU's championship should have an asterics? They don't play Purdue this year either... but I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

You're right... Wisconsin is playing well, but they have a loss in the conference. Even if the Big 10 attempted to fix this with a championship game, it would just be a re-match of OSU Michigan... because Michigan would be tied with Wisconsin having only one loss in the conference... but they beat Wisconsin. Sorry that OSU didn't play Wisconsin... but maybe they are the lucky ones. When the schedules were determined I doubt anyone thought OSU was trying to avoid a tough match-up... but you could say the opposite is true for Wisconsin.

P.S. the SOS stat is determined by computers. It takes into consideration the records of the teams they play, and also takes into consideration the teams they played play. In other words, if Louisville were to beat Boise State, it would help their SOS... but not much. The reason is because even though they are undefeated, Boise State hasn't played anyone with who has beaten anyone... and so on. It's fairly confusing to explain... but it is a good stat.

Just because Texas had a great team last year doesn't mean they are great this year. They still have A&M on the schedule and a likely big 12 championship game, so another loss is likely for them.

No, another loss isn't likely. I would be very surprised if Texas didn't run the table. It's very true that Texas is not the same team they were last year especially with Vince Young leaving, but this team is very different from the one that lost at Ohio State very early in the season. It's amazing to see how Colt McCoy has matured since the start of the season. They should have no problem with K-State this weekend. A&M will play tough, as always, but A&M is still a step behind. The same goes for anyone coming out of the north in the Big 12 championship. Texas won at Nebraska a few weeks ago. While upsets do happen, I think that it's much more likely that Texas will win out than not. However, none of this will affect the national championship picture unless Louisville loses...

Wisconsin is playing really good football, but OSU will not play them :P so any big ten trophy they might win should have an asterics.

You're right... Wisconsin is playing well, but they have a loss in the conference. Even if the Big 10 attempted to fix this with a championship game, it would just be a re-match of OSU Michigan... because Michigan would be tied with Wisconsin having only one loss in the conference... but they beat Wisconsin. Sorry that OSU didn't play Wisconsin... but maybe they are the lucky ones. When the schedules were determined I doubt anyone thought OSU was trying to avoid a tough match-up... but you could say the opposite is true for Wisconsin.

P.S. the SOS stat is determined by computers. It takes into consideration the records of the teams they play, and also takes into consideration the teams they played play. In other words, if Louisville were to beat Boise State, it would help their SOS... but not much. The reason is because even though they are undefeated, Boise State hasn't played anyone with who has beaten anyone... and so on. It's fairly confusing to explain... but it is a good stat.

That's why they play the games :cheers:

I want leagues with round robins.

eff all this championship game crap,

television is ruining sport.

why cannot a game be tied?

honor.

BUT :bengal:

How does a schedule have any strength before the season has begun?

Perhaps all the preseason crapola has been filtered from this thing by now (which partially explains why losing to louisville didn't hurt wvu in the computers) :rolleyes:

Rutgers :lol:

Unfortunately a OSU/Michigan re-match is looking more and more possible. I think that would be ridiculous... but when you leave it up to computers, these are the chances you take.

I'm hoping for Florida or Auburn... but both of those teams could easily be taken out of it by another loss. If either Michigan or Texas were to get a re-match against Ohio State in the National Championship, it would be bad for college football (in my opinion anyway).