2001 the Bengals started 4-4

walzav29

Then ended 6-10. I am getting a headache waiting for Sundays game. I'll still watch every game this season, but my faith for this year will have come into question. By the way, Palmer does look a tad off. There have been passes that he would normally hit, that he hasn't. I think it's the pressure though.

Then ended 6-10. I am getting a headache waiting for Sundays game. I'll still watch every game this season, but my faith for this year will have come into question. By the way, Palmer does look a tad off. There have been passes that he would normally hit, that he hasn't. I think it's the pressure though.

Could be a lot of things, because there have been more errant throws than usual even when he's not pressured.

1) He didn't get to knock the rust off in camp/preseason. Given the way he played in that preseason game, I think we tend to forget sometimes how lucky we are he was on the field for every game this year.

2) He's supposedly changed his mechanics some due to the injury (to prevent it happening again)

3) Even when there's not pressure, his timing may be off because he's expecting it.

4) He's had to throw to a lot of different receivers due to them being injured

5) Having all three of Henry, Chad, and TJ on the field is key, because opposing Ds can always cover one of them, and can do a passable job at covering two. But no D can cover all three. Notice we get all three on the field and put up 27 points, and even then they didn't play their best. I look for the offense to pick it up.

And I'm sure there are more reasons besides those for Carson looking a tad shaky sometimes. I'm not packing it in, but with all that's happened this year - injuries, suspensions, Carson rehabbing, tough schedule - playoffs will be a bonus this year. Making it to 2007 in good shape, ready to win the SB would be the best thing. I have confidence that Carson will get tuned up in the offseason, but expecting him to be his usual top-5 QB self with no offseason preparation would be bit unfair. As it is, he's only a top 10 QB. ;)

Hell, I'm just still glad it's not Klingler or Akili back there.

He's also hit a few passes that no QB hits. Hint: 4th and 1... Palmer's fine. The Bengals are fine. We'll be in the playoffs and we'll win in Baltimore.

I think if the Bengals can hit on all cylinders this Sunday that will propel them to 6 straight.

Better to be questionable early and develop and get better and better as the season goes on, then what they did last year: win 4 to open then lose three straight to close.

This team will develop and get better and better. Carson is getting stronger and is playing through to get back to where he was late last year.

The youngsters on defense are getting better and with all the injuries, everyone needs to kinda figure out what all the new folks are all about and gel together.

I think if the Bengals can hit on all cylinders this Sunday that will propel them to 6 straight.

Better to be questionable early and develop and get better and better as the season goes on, then what they did last year: win 4 to open then lose three straight to close.

This team will develop and get better and better. Carson is getting stronger and is playing through to get back to where he was late last year.

The youngsters on defense are getting better and with all the injuries, everyone needs to kinda figure out what all the new folks are all about and gel together.

That's what I keep telling myself. I'd rather be trying to figure things out now, in order to be firing on all cylinders come Dec. & Jan. That's what I keep telling myself :unsure:

It seems to me that we need to forget about how "tough" the remaing schedule is, stop trying to predict the final record, and look at the opportunity that the Bengals have this Sunday. With all of the crap that has been dealt this team in the last 10-11 months, I for one am stoked to see them in a position to take first place back in the North. Are the games that they are losing frustrating as hell to watch? Of course they are. But that should be a testiment to the fact that even with all of the injuries and suspensions, this team expects to win every Sunday and in most cases have been in position to do just that. The lone exception was the NE game where we had some uncharacteristic turnover which put the defense in some tight spots. We were in that game late into the 3rd quarter, with no help on offense. Hell look at what NE is doing to every other team since they played us. I guess what i am trying to say is that as a long time Bengals fan its nice to see that the biggest problem they are having is losing 2 of the last 3 games by a total of 3 points and a horrible call.

:bengal: Who-Frickin' Dey!

It seems to me that we need to forget about how "tough" the remaing schedule is, stop trying to predict the final record, and look at the opportunity that the Bengals have this Sunday. With all of the crap that has been dealt this team in the last 10-11 months, I for one am stoked to see them in a position to take first place back in the North. Are the games that they are losing frustrating as hell to watch? Of course they are. But that should be a testiment to the fact that even with all of the injuries and suspensions, this team expects to win every Sunday and in most cases have been in position to do just that. The lone exception was the NE game where we had some uncharacteristic turnover which put the defense in some tight spots. We were in that game late into the 3rd quarter, with no help on offense. Hell look at what NE is doing to every other team since they played us. I guess what i am trying to say is that as a long time Bengals fan its nice to see that the biggest problem they are having is losing 2 of the last 3 games by a total of 3 points and a horrible call.

:bengal: Who-Frickin' Dey!

I'm out everyday doing my tackling dummy drills for 6 hours straight!

:lol:

Still trying to forget about the tough schedule...

I'm not packing it in, but with all that's happened this year - injuries, suspensions, Carson rehabbing, tough schedule - playoffs will be a bonus this year. Making it to 2007 in good shape, ready to win the SB would be the best thing.

I'm tired of being told to wait until next year. I think we could have done it last year if Carson hadn't been knocked out. So certainly I still believe we can do it this year if we get rolling... and there is no reason that we can't. The defense is better than last years... so all we have to do is start playing with the type of offense that scored an average of 40 points a game for 4 or 5 games last season. If we can do that, we'll be unbeatable.

It might happen... it might not. Such is life... But I'm not waiting for next year yet. I had high expectations coming into this year, and I'm not giving up on them because of a few bumps in the road. You're right that we've had to overcome a lot so far this season... but we've come out with a winning record, and probably a lot tougher mentally.

Really... how much tougher can it get for us? Assuming that you're right and that Palmer is still knocking off rust... it'll come this year. We don't have to wait. We'll get guys healthy, we'll get on roll.

I want championship now. Maybe I'm unrealistic, maybe I'm a homer (I've been called worse). I don't care. I'm not ready to look to next year yet. Especially considering that we're going to be in first place around 4:00 this Sunday.

I'm not packing it in, but with all that's happened this year - injuries, suspensions, Carson rehabbing, tough schedule - playoffs will be a bonus this year. Making it to 2007 in good shape, ready to win the SB would be the best thing.

I'm tired of being told to wait until next year. I think we could have done it last year if Carson hadn't been knocked out. So certainly I still believe we can do it this year if we get rolling... and there is no reason that we can't. The defense is better than last years... so all we have to do is start playing with the type of offense that scored an average of 40 points a game for 4 or 5 games last season. If we can do that, we'll be unbeatable.

It might happen... it might not. Such is life... But I'm not waiting for next year yet. I had high expectations coming into this year, and I'm not giving up on them because of a few bumps in the road. You're right that we've had to overcome a lot so far this season... but we've come out with a winning record, and probably a lot tougher mentally.

Really... how much tougher can it get for us? Assuming that you're right and that Palmer is still knocking off rust... it'll come this year. We don't have to wait. We'll get guys healthy, we'll get on roll.

I want championship now. Maybe I'm unrealistic, maybe I'm a homer (I've been called worse). I don't care. I'm not ready to look to next year yet. Especially considering that we're going to be in first place around 4:00 this Sunday.

I could not agree more, derek... !

Unitl we are eliminated from contention , and even then I want us to kick ass to spoil someone else, I will not lose the faith and give up on this year!

Boy Howdy.

There's too much talk attempting to predict where this team will be two months from now. Shouldn't the fact that the current Bengal team looks almost nothing like the one that played a month ago teach us something about assuming that things will remain the same, good or bad, over a prolonged period of time? Shouldn't we, the bastard sons of Paul Brown, remember how he'd never speculate beyond 3 or 4 weeks into the future about how good his teams would be?

Too many variables...too much impact from a key injury or two.

As for the long and grinding road, we've all shared a laugh over the spectacular way the Steelers have melted down after last seasons championship, but I'm reminded that they earned their championship only after playing like a .500 most of the regular season before storming into the penthouse by way of the back door. The more impressive Steeler team of one year prior came up painfully short, right?

Oh, and how about the almost always undefeated Indianapolis Colts, a team that never actually wins anything?

Maybe the Bengal's path to the championship this season comes by way of a bumpy road?