Chiefs could lose Gonzalez to free agency

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6115088

Chiefs could lose Gonzalez to free agency

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Hey Chiefs fans, the most prolific player on your roster is quietly set to become a free agent after the year.

Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez told FOX NFL Sunday that the final years of his contract have voided and he is now slated to become a free agent in a mere few months. Widely regarded as the NFL's best and most consistent tight end over the last several years, Gonzalez has held contract talks with the Chiefs within the last three weeks but is not ruling out the possibility the two sides may not work something out and he could actually do what was thought to be the unthinkable.

"I would love to end my career here but I'm a realist and know there is a real possibility I could end up hitting the open market," said Gonzalez. "We've had some talks, we both gave proposals recently but we're pretty far apart. At this point I've told my agent I don't really want it to be a distraction during the season."

Chiefs officials vehemently contend that in the end GM Carl Peterson will do what he has to in order to ensure his star player finishes his career in red and white. Gonzalez would love that but isn't as sure as the Chiefs officials.

"You'd hope so but judging by the way talks have gone, I'm not sure that will be the case," he said. "I'm a realist and know how the business side of the NFL works. With that in mind I know anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we got something worked out but I also wouldn't be surprised if I had to end up going somewhere else either."

The Chiefs have a week left to do a contract that would use up any remaining salary cap room the team has left. The two sides briefly talked about the situation this week but neither side moved an inch on their stance.

Should he hit the open market, Gonzalez is likely to be a huge player in the free agent frenzy. Teams who could be interested include the Bears, Saints, Jets, Denver and Panthers among others.

Wow, I am sure the floodgates will open when he officially hits the market, but a lot of teams will probably get sticker shock when they see the price tag that goes with him.

I would be surprised if he signed a contract and stayed in KC before testing the waters. TE's are hot right now, why not test the waters. Besdies Gonzo has always been outspoken about winning and wanting to get to the Super Bowl. He still has a bitter taste in his mouth from a couple of badly played playoff games against Denver and Indy. I think Gonzo has to look short term and see if KC has the tools to make a run, which considering their Defense I would say no

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah bring him to Cincy and see if the coaches can turn his catching ability into a blocking ability!

Wow, I am sure the floodgates will open when he officially hits the market, but a lot of teams will probably get sticker shock when they see the price tag that goes with him.

Not only that, i don't think he's the same guy he was two-three years ago I think a team like the Skins sill just bid against themselves