Opening Day

Kirkendall

What are you fellas doing for opening day?

Every year, a few buddies and me go to the Jack Nicholas golf course, play a round, go to the bar and watch the game.  Tradition and Cincinnati opening day is one of the greatest. 

I just wish MLB would recognize that again.

My grandmother, who lived within sight of Riverfront Stadium in Covington Kentucky was an ardent member of the "Rosie Reds", and opening day was her day to shine! She and all her fellow "Rosies" had their seats well in advance of the traditional opening day. They dressed up in their completely red and white outfits, got hammered on God knows how many Hudepohl Beers, (they were gettin' moody with the Hudy! :lol: ) remember this was 1970, and she was lucky to get home by midnight! I think I know where my partying genes come from. B)

Well the season has started off poorly with a 7-4 loss to the Cubbies. I think Griffey sat it out, the puss! :angry:

Actually he wanted to play. Miley held him out and I think he's right. Grif stays hurt because he tries to come back too fast and ends up making it worse.

Even tho they lost, I was optimistic about what I saw ... Except for the blunder by Dunn ( it was way worse than an error ) the Reds played pretty good ball. Pitching wasn't bad ....... and Freel and La Rue combined for a double play that should make the highlight reels. Jimmenez was like 3 for 4 or 3 for 5 ........ can't recall exactly. So he's picking up where he left off. Last but not least, thought Miley did a really good job. If Lindner and Allen stay in their offices and keep thier noses out of it, these young guys may just do pretty good.

Even tho they lost, I was optimistic about what I saw ... Except for the blunder by Dunn ( it was way worse than an error ) the Reds played pretty good ball. Pitching wasn't bad ....... and Freel and La Rue combined for a double play that should make the highlight reels. Jimmenez was like 3 for 4 or 3 for 5 ........ can't recall exactly. So he's picking up where he left off. Last but not least, thought Miley did a really good job. If Lindner and Allen stay in their offices and keep thier noses out of it, these young guys may just do pretty good.

Im glad youre optimistic, and I did enjoy that double play. But cmon, Lidle is not a good pitcher. And the bottom of the lineup killed up yesterday. Larue, Freel and Castro didnt excite me too much and it only seemed like Casey even remembered to get pumped up. Im sure hoping this is a good year, but yesterday set the tone Im afraid. So, here is my first plea, after only one game....

SNAP OUT OF IT YOU FREAKIN LOSERS!

I was happy with the Reds performance. First of all we were down by 4, came within one (5-4) against Kerry Wood. Secondly, we played good small ball, something we've always had problems with. Thirdly, Lidle I thought pitched well. Other than a Patterson home run and Alou's double, he was solid. He had good control, and the balls that were hit hard against him were just pitches that didn't drop the way they should. A lot of good pitchers have this problem early in the season, i.e. Pedro every year.

The Dunn error sucked, because Casey got a single the bottom of the inning and if Dunn caught it, we'd be down only by one. If anything killed us yesterday, it was communication on defense and some poor play.

Overall, for what this team is branded as league-wide and the expectations of being losers, I think the Reds were both encouraging and entertaining to watch.

However, and I know he's "hurt" but GIVE ME A BREAK!

Man...I just feel the same ol' depression creepin' up on me again this baseball season. :(

Billy, I really don't think so. Think about it for a sec, you're not -- well all of us are not -- expecting much of anything. I think 70 wins is definately there, I think 80 wins is definately within our grasps, and I think 2nd place is 1999 all over again.

I'm actually feeling more positive about this season than I have in years, only because our team foundation is really looking strong and no one, and I mean NO ONE, is expecting much. We have quality pitching prospects, we drafted a lot of pitching and we have a good farm system of bats.

If we aren't successful this year, then 2 years or so; watch up, the Reds will be back!

Side note - the process would speed up big time if Linder sells the team.