Interesting Topic

Bobcat Bengal

From Pat Kirwan of NFL.com

Backing away from the Bengals?

Because the Bengals missed on signing cornerback Troy Vincent and Sapp, the boo birds are out again wondering if the Bengals are still the team with a stigma in the NFL. I don't believe that for a minute. Remember, the Chiefs, who are perceived as a very successful franchise, also had interest in Vincent and Sapp and missed on both. No one has them under a microscope. Lots of teams make a run at free agents and miss out.

Kevin Hardy wasn't afraid to sign with Cincy in 2003.

Last year, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had no trouble signing defensive tackle John Thornton, linebacker Kevin Hardy, defensive end Duane Clemons or cornerback Tory James. This year, they have already signed safety Kim Herring, linebacker Nate Webster and retained safety Rogers Beckett even though he toured many NFL facilities. They matched the big offer Jacksonville made for their young kicker, Shayne Graham. When you consider the fact that six teams have signed no one yet and in some cases lost a number of players, the Bengals are doing just fine.

Players want to play for Lewis, that's a fact when you listen to veterans talk about him. He is patient and always under control. He has limits in what he will pay to acquire players and he's smart enough to not overpay; there was once a perception that if the Bengals wanted someone they had to overpay, but those days are gone.

Keep in mind, they still have Jon Kitna and Corey Dillon under contract. Between now and the draft, they could parlay them into extra picks or new veterans. Also, in speaking with a few coaches on the staff, they feel they have a better grasp on the draft talent pool after coaching the Senior Bowl this year. If they add to their picks at Nos. 17, 49, 80 and 113, they can make some real progress on draft day. If they pick up a player like guard Ruben Brown or defensive end Kenny Holmes and a June 1 cut or two along the way, it will be hard for the old critics to say people don't want to play for the Bengals.

Look for the Bengals to still pick up a few quality players between now and July 1. They are using more of the Patriots model of simply spending wisely, rather than the Redskins model of simply spending.

Look for the Bengals to still pick up a few quality players between now and July 1. They are using more of the Patriots model of simply spending wisely, rather than the Redskins model of simply spending.

Does anyone else see Marvin's hand here or not? Mikies stinginess aside I think there's alot of truth to this article, and I'm liking it! Suddenly I'm glad the Raiders made "Kitared" happy by taking Sapp from us! :rolleyes:

Good post Squirrelly.

Players want to play for Lewis, that's a fact when you listen to veterans talk about him. He is patient and always under control. He has limits in what he will pay to acquire players and he's smart enough to not overpay; there was once a perception that if the Bengals wanted someone they had to overpay, but those days are gone.

How does he know this? All he knows is players review after a season, how many say the same thing that haven't played under Marvin; you know, players we need to sign in the future. I'm not sure either why he thinks "Marvin is smart enough not to overpay". Mike Brown still owns the team and Mike Brown's wallet is still closed.

I think the most important aspect of the Bengals he misses, is that we are a very young team. This team has a tremendous foundation for the future.

I saw this article and thought it was a good one. Of course it made a point that I'd thought in several instances over the last few years. It reveals 2 basic truths when it comes to the Bengals, the media, and the public opinion ( that is generated by the media ) of those not living in the city or following the team closely.

The Bengals and most any other team can do the exact same thing in dealing with players whether they're fa's ... rookies .. or just their own team memebers, and the media will applaud the other team and slam the Bengals. Truth #1 .... there are Bengals bashers. You've heard it and so have I; let this team be less than perfect and out it comes ..... Same old B_ngles ( I'll not use that word again ever) and then the chorus that consists of other fans comes in and carries the tune. Truth #2 is that we have developed the image of a loser and gotten the rep over a period of time that goes back to before a lot of fans can remember. The other line you hear a lot is .... yeah my Dad said they used to be pretty good a long time ago.

Fact is, we're making progress in the direction of losing that image. First was the hiring of Lewis, then the .500 season against some pretty stiff competition, and now we actually have a writer outside of Cincinnati going out of his way to stand up for us and give the facts of the situation instead of striking up the chorus. Just like Lewis fixing the team, it won't get done overnight, the team won't lose its bad rep. General opinion of us is going to be slow to change and it will have to be earned ..... the hard way.

Shying away from the Bengals???

Yep. I would say so. At least Free Agents who are looking to sign haven't ever taken the Bungles seriously. I think since the offseason's free agent signs were (once again) mediocre, I think we as fans have to re-evaluate who's really in charge of the Bengals.

Answer: It's the bald, fat old guy sitting BEHIND the desk, not in front.

I'm not sure either why he thinks "Marvin is smart enough not to overpay". Mike Brown still owns the team and Mike Brown's wallet is still closed.

I think the most important aspect of the Bengals he misses, is that we are a very young team. This team has a tremendous foundation for the future.

Are you nuts? Mike Brown isn't opening his purse strings? Explain this idiocy? How much did he match for Shayne Graham after he proved he was a top notch kicker? A FORTUNE.

Marvin is calling the shots and it was his call not to pay Sapp as much as BROWN was going to offer him, not the reverse. This is from Marvin Lewis, as quoted in an interview after Oakland "stole" Sapp.

Look at the people Marvin HAS brought in. Herring, Webster, last years

incredible draft choices. He has a plan, and that plan includes a Superbowl Ring for Cincinnati.