The Cincinnati Bengals vs. The Chiefs

BZBot

WELBOURN RETURNS WE'RE DOOMED!

in 6 weeks ;)

WELBOURN WANTS BACK IN

Lost to date in the confirmation that former Chiefs tackle John Welbourn will be suspended six games for violating the NFL's steroids policy (we reported on rumors of a suspension on July 18) is the obvious reality that, although Welbourn claimed that he was retiring, he really hadn't retired.

If he had retired, there would be no reason to announce a six-game suspension.

But now that Welbourn has successfully avoided training camp and the preseason, in which he would have been contractually required to participate notwithstanding the looming six-game suspension, Welbourn is trying to un-retire.

So after the six-game suspension, the Chiefs will have to decide whether to bring him back, or whether to cut him.

There's still talk that, despite the looming suspension, Welbourn walked away in June because the team wouldn't give him a raise. We've also heard rumblings that after Welbourn "retired" he was bad-mouthing the organization to tackle Willie Roaf, at a time when Roaf was going back and forth regarding the question of whether he would retire, too.

The challenge for Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson, as we see it, will be to set aside the past and ask himself whether Welbourn can help to improve an offensive line that could be in shambles with the loss of both starting tackles from the 2005 season.

Frankly, the fact that Kyle Turley a/k/a Crazy Joe Davola is now the starting left tackle after two years on the shelf with chronic back trouble tells us that it's time for the Chiefs to smoke the peace pipe with Welbourn.

We all believe that the Bengals defense will be much improved this year for reasons we've stated for the last several months. I believe this is a valid assumption to make.

The Chiefs on the other hand might actually be worse. I was doing a bit of reading, and just don't see how they could be better. Here's why:

1) Herm Edwards brings the Cover-2 scheme. Last year the Chiefs finished 7th in run defense. The Cover-2 should hurt this somewhat because the safeties and MLB will be dropping into coverage rather than rushing the line to stop the run. They won't give up many really big gains... but they won't stop RB's at the line either. The Cover-2 is traditionally a "bend but don't break" philosophy, so they won't give up the big play... but you can move the ball.

2) The Cover 2 relies on very good play from the safeties, as each is responsible for half of the field. KC's safeties are good in run support, but they are piss poor in coverage. The scheme doesn't match their personnel.

3) Their D-Linemen are very under-sized (315, 286, 270, and 265). An under-sized D-line is common in the Cover-2, because blitzing is rare. The D-Line is soley responsible for the pass rush, so quickness is emphasized, and this usually means being under-sized (probably why they drafted Tamba Hali). But KC ranked 27th in the league in sacks last year, and I don't believe the addition of Hali was enough to improve the pass-rush dramatically (especially against Cincy, since Hali will be in over his head vs. Big Willie in his first NFL game).

4) KC was 30th in passing defense last year. Herm Edwards will tone down the offense with his coaching style, and this will cause teams to throw the ball less. Their defense should look much better statistically... but stats aren't everything. The D will be on the field less... but will continue to lack great talent. Large O-Lines (like ours) should be able to bully their D-line in run blocking. KC has speedy LB's, so teams won't run wild on them... but will manage to get 3-4 yards consistently, and poor safety play will allow teams to throw the ball when necessary.

I really think that KC is going to take a step back this year... and it should start this week when we bully their defense all day long. They will run Larry Johnson all day long to keep Palmer on the sidelines, but as long as we keep them out of the endzone, we should be able to move the ball on them... both on the ground and through the air.

If this were in Cincy, I think it would be very one-sided. I'm in the minority and think it will probably stay fairly low scoring as both teams focus on the running game. Because of this, and KC's home field advantage, I think it will be a close game, but the better team will win... and we're the better team.

I really think that KC is going to take a step back this year... .

This is why I feel bad for herm most writers I hear say its g reat gig a 10-6 almost playoff team when really its a crap gig for a new coach it had 1-2 years max as contenders before they lost all their Oline but the offense is old the defense is old KC will be entering rebuilding stages :P

if I was herm i'd try and trade everyone not larry johnson and stock up picks lol

You're sig is sweet as hell dog! Is that adobe?

No that's vintage Rover D :cheers:

As for Cover 2, one reason to expect lesser production from Chad and Housh -- if it's Housh -- because the split field coverage of the safeties gives less window for deeper balls. Underneath stuff, the quick outs and the like will still be there but there's some question as to how much Cover 2 it will. Maybe Marv was just trying to get at some goats but on the NFLN he said he expected the KC corners to play man, which seemed an odd thing to say given the Cover 2 expectation. No doubt Herm has turned Ty Law loose in man before, so maybe he'll roll the dice with Law in man against Housh or Henry so he can bring Sammy Knight up into the box more. We'll see soon.

Either Housh or Henry should be able to take Law, but it's still hard to count Law out. He's damn good. If it is Henry, I can already hear Randy Cross gobbledly gooking about how if you want to start on an NFL team, just go out and get arrested 3 or 4 times in the offseason. If Henry starts or plays a lot, it's not blame for the Bengals. The league allows Henry to play so if there's any beef about Henry playing, it's on the league's plate.

You're sig is sweet as hell dog! Is that adobe?

No that's vintage Rover D :cheers:

As for Cover 2, one reason to expect lesser production from Chad and Housh -- if it's Housh -- because the split field coverage of the safeties gives less window for deeper balls. Underneath stuff, the quick outs and the like will still be there but there's some question as to how much Cover 2 it will. Maybe Marv was just trying to get at some goats but on the NFLN he said he expected the KC corners to play man, which seemed an odd thing to say given the Cover 2 expectation. No doubt Herm has turned Ty Law loose in man before, so maybe he'll roll the dice with Law in man against Housh or Henry so he can bring Sammy Knight up into the box more. We'll see soon.

Either Housh or Henry should be able to take Law, but it's still hard to count Law out. He's damn good. If it is Henry, I can already hear Randy Cross gobbledly gooking about how if you want to start on an NFL team, just go out and get arrested 3 or 4 times in the offseason. If Henry starts or plays a lot, it's not blame for the Bengals. The league allows Henry to play so if there's any beef about Henry playing, it's on the league's plate.

The Cover 2 still allows corners and LB's to play man to man. The onlyreal staple is that the safeties are playing deep, each covering half of the field... so with KC's corner's being their strong point, I would expect them to play man.

You're right about the teh Cover 2's ability to slow down the big plays of the WR's. However... unless they do the Tampa 2, and really... even if they do, Housh will still be able to find ways to get open in the middle of the field (assuming he plays).

The strength of the Cover 2 is to slow down guys like Chad who excel in streaking down the sideline. Possession receivers can usually still have solid games. And I'll argue that Chad will have his chances too given the safety situation. Chad's never worried about doublt coverage before, and when we're in 3 WR sets, there will be too much talent on the field for their defense to handle.

This system probably sets up well for Brat who likes to set up the run with the pass. We'll do a lot of quick slants, and get a couple first downs, and KC will be forced to drop more guys into coverage, leaving their under-sized line to get pushed around in the running game.

They are going to get masacared, the Cheifs are not that good. Trent green is going to have a long year, with that O line in shambles. Yeah they ran on us last year and TEs killed us.

This year they are going to realize what type of D , marvin is building here. This D is not the one they faced last year.

They are going to get masacared, the Cheifs are not that good. Trent green is going to have a long year, with that O line in shambles. Yeah they ran on us last year and TEs killed us.

This year they are going to realize what type of D , marvin is building here. This D is not the one they faced last year.

They didnt get a true chance to face our offense. 1 drive and 3 pts.....we would have scored a lot more!

What's up Omaha ?? Good to see you're still around...

As for the game Sunday, I'm just looking forward to seeing what this defense is all about. Put me in the camp of sporting major wood with a dominant defensive performance !!!

WHODEY !!!

whats up army?

man i am salivating over here waiting to watch this game. see how the bengals run d with adams and jackson(as well as williams back) look against a good chiefs running game.

see if the chiefs pass d is as bad as it has been.

what a matchup. this game may be the game of the week.

I Posted this over at the Coalition, but i want to hear the Bengal fans opinions so ill post it again over here. No disrespect towards the Bengals because i think you guys are a great team, you guys just dont seem to be giving any credit at all towards the Chiefs passing game or the whole offense at all....

Last year:

Rushing yards/Gm: Chiefs(4th NFL, Cincy:11th)

Passing yards/Gm: Bengals(6th NFL, Cincy:5th)

Total yards: Chiefs(1st NFL)

Avg yd/play : Chiefs (led the NFL)

Avg yd/PASS: Chiefs, (3rd in NFL, Cincy:7TH)

1st downs : Chiefs

Time of possession: Chiefs(3rd NFL, Cincy:10th)

Point Differential: Chiefs (9th NFL), Cincy: 10th)

Pts/Game: Bengals (Chiefs: 6th, Bengals:4th)

3rd down efficiency: Bengals, (Chiefs:4th, Bengals:3rd)

TDs: Bengals by TWO

The Chiefs had alot harder of a schedule and 6 games Without Willie Roaf. Only 17 TDs last year for Trent as well and 2 for Tony G, and we still have better numbers than the Bengals O. Just because offenses like the Colts and Bengals have these superstar WRs that make 80 yard TD catches and we dont, we get overlooked by the media. We run for most of our TDs, whats wrong with that? 6 pts is 6 pts. We still were 6th in passing yards and Trent has thrown for 4000 yds 3 yrs in a row. Weve had the most passing yards and pass TDs since 2001 besides the Colts and Manning. Our WRs have been underated especially Kennison, and Green is a phenomenal QB. Im so sick of the media ignoring what the Chiefs have done on offense since 01. Its amazing. They broke a record for 1st downs in a season and that goes ignored.

Granted, Roaf and T Rich are gone. T Rich can be replaced because its just the FB role, and Ronnie Cruz is a good young FB. Roaf is the hardest but not impossible. We got screwed when he all of a sudden got hurt last year, not alot of time to prepare, we had alot of young Olinemen...now we get Turley to replace Roaf, a veteran who can play LT, dont worry about his weight. The Chiefs were 3-3 without Roaf, LJ actually ran BETTER without Roaf, more yards per carry. Also, Roaf gave up alot of sacks when he was in there, more than usual. He can be replaced. We'll be fine at O Line. Good luck stopping the Chiefs, the best offense since 2002.

Good luck stopping the Chiefs, the best offense since 2002.

Not trying to turn anything into smack here, just saying besides what your offense has done for the past 3 seasons, your defense hasn't been there to balance that. Sounds a lot like the Bengals as well. Herm Edwards, his play calling, and coaching style will result in your offense taking a step in the opposite direction. The Bengals offense has been awesome as well, but we get bashed for our defense. The Chiefs are no different. Good luck this weekend and hope for an injury free game !!!

WHODEY !!!

I Posted this over at the Coalition, but i want to hear the Bengal fans opinions so ill post it again over here. No disrespect towards the Bengals because i think you guys are a great team, you guys just dont seem to be giving any credit at all towards the Chiefs passing game or the whole offense at all....

Last year:

Rushing yards/Gm: Chiefs(4th NFL, Cincy:11th)

Passing yards/Gm: Bengals(6th NFL, Cincy:5th)

Total yards: Chiefs(1st NFL)

Avg yd/play : Chiefs (led the NFL)

Avg yd/PASS: Chiefs, (3rd in NFL, Cincy:7TH)

1st downs : Chiefs

Time of possession: Chiefs(3rd NFL, Cincy:10th)

Point Differential: Chiefs (9th NFL), Cincy: 10th)

Pts/Game: Bengals (Chiefs: 6th, Bengals:4th)

3rd down efficiency: Bengals, (Chiefs:4th, Bengals:3rd)

TDs: Bengals by TWO

The Chiefs had alot harder of a schedule and 6 games Without Willie Roaf. Only 17 TDs last year for Trent as well and 2 for Tony G, and we still have better numbers than the Bengals O. Just because offenses like the Colts and Bengals have these superstar WRs that make 80 yard TD catches and we dont, we get overlooked by the media. We run for most of our TDs, whats wrong with that? 6 pts is 6 pts. We still were 6th in passing yards and Trent has thrown for 4000 yds 3 yrs in a row. Weve had the most passing yards and pass TDs since 2001 besides the Colts and Manning. Our WRs have been underated especially Kennison, and Green is a phenomenal QB. Im so sick of the media ignoring what the Chiefs have done on offense since 01. Its amazing. They broke a record for 1st downs in a season and that goes ignored.

Granted, Roaf and T Rich are gone. T Rich can be replaced because its just the FB role, and Ronnie Cruz is a good young FB. Roaf is the hardest but not impossible. We got screwed when he all of a sudden got hurt last year, not alot of time to prepare, we had alot of young Olinemen...now we get Turley to replace Roaf, a veteran who can play LT, dont worry about his weight. The Chiefs were 3-3 without Roaf, LJ actually ran BETTER without Roaf, more yards per carry. Also, Roaf gave up alot of sacks when he was in there, more than usual. He can be replaced. We'll be fine at O Line. Good luck stopping the Chiefs, the best offense since 2002.

the chiefs gave up more sacks without roaf in there. downplaying the loss of roaf is foolish. we all know lj cant pass block

The Bengals and the Chiefs had the same problem last year. Powerful offenses, and defenses that couldn't handle playing with the lead. There were a lot of shoot outs, and a ton of yards given up. This is part of having an offense that can get out to an early lead without equal talent on defense.

The two teams dealt with the problem this off-season very differently. KC lost their coach, so they brought in a defensive minded coach, and a new O-Coordinator. Their offense will never put the defense in a bad situation, so the defense will appear better... but at the expense of the Offense. KC lost a lot of parts... not the least of which the coaching, and they will not be the same.

The Bengals addressed their issues with Sam Adams and Dexter Jackson (and getting Madieu back). There is better and deeper talent on the field... and most importantly, we're returning all our offensive starters, coaches and scheme. We're going to be the same offense, with a better defense.

The Chiefs have had one of the better offenses in the league for the past few years... but it all changes with the Herm Edwards era. Ask any Jets fan about play calling and clock management. It's not going to be a shoot-out tomorrow, because Herm Edwards won't allow it to be... and therefore the Bengals Offense should be the better of the two this year.

If we were playing the Vermeil Chiefs I'd be a bit more concerned. We could still lose... certainly stranger things have happened. The Chiefs will still be a decent team, but the Herm Edwards coaching style doesn't match that roster. It was a bad hire in my opinion.