Titans Sign Kerry Collins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2564189

In a move that could shake up the team's depth chart before the start of the season, the Tennessee Titans on Monday afternoon signed veteran free-agent quarterback Kerry Collins.

ESPN.com previously reported in the "Tip Sheet" last Friday that the Titans, who had a brief flirtation with Collins earlier in the offseason but backed off signing him at the time, had rekindled their interest, and that a few other teams were considering him as well. The Tennessean of Nashville reported Sunday night on its Web site that discussions between the Titans and Collins accelerated over the weekend.

Collins will challenge incumebent Billy Volek for the starting job, coach Jeff Fisher all but conceded, once he is able to assimilate the offense. Collins had indicated in the offseason, when there was much speculation about his future, that he would probably only resume his career if there was a team willing to provide him a chance for playing time.

At one point in the offseason, Collins considered retirement.

"Billy's got some competition," Fisher acknowledged Monday evening. "I've spoken with Billy. [He's] not too awfully pleased with it, but that's life in the NFL."

It is unusual for a team to bring in a potential starting quarterback so close to the start of the season, but the Tennessee offense has struggled under the stewardship of current starter Billy Volek, and it is obvious that first-round draft choice Vince Young is not ready yet to assume the No. 1 job. Volek has been a backup his entire six-year career, but moved to the top of the depth chart when the Titans traded Steve McNair to the Baltimore Ravens.

Ironically, the Ravens were a team that considered signing Collins before they acquired McNair, who has supplanted Kyle Boller as their starter.

Regarded as one of the NFL's top backup quarterbacks, Volek, 30, is 3-7 in 10 career starts. In his starts, the former Fresno State standout has four games of 250-plus passing yards and in 2004 posted consecutive 400-yard outings. But there have been rumors for much of training camp that Volek was struggling and that some members of the coaching staff were not sold on him as the starter.

Tennessee is Carolina Panthers in 1995 and played three seasons there before he was released in 1998 after apprising the team that his heart was no longer in the game. In addition to the Panthers, he has played with New Orleans (1998), the New York Giants (1999-2003) and Oakland (2004-2005).

The former Penn State star led Carolina to an NFC championship game berth in 1996 and piloted the Giants to Super Bowl XXXV in 2000. He has appeared in 152 games, and started 145 of them, completing 2,826 of 5,082 passes for 33,637 yards, with 173 touchdown passes and 166 interceptions. Collins has thrown for over 3,000 yards in each of the last six seasons.

Collins is 66-79 record as a starter.

I don't know if I would be so worried if I were Volek. I think they got Collins in there to 1.) push Volek to give them his all and 2.) add "a little" veteran insight/experience on the sidelines.

The Titans are going to take reps away from Volek and give them to Kerry Collins. I would not be surprised to see Volek cut next week, which would be a mistake. I think the Titans are sending the wrong message to someone who has proven that he should be the starter this season if not next. He has a good record and passer rating in relief for Air McNair. This smells of Bud Adams meddling with the team. :fartnew:

Yeah, if Bud Adams has been as involved with personnel decisions lately as has been rumored, then he needs to friggin' stop. He's running that team into the ground. Vince Young isn't going to do anything there, and neither is Kerry Collins.

Billy Volek deserves a shot, and Leinart was on the board.

The Titans are going to take reps away from Volek and give them to Kerry Collins. I would not be surprised to see Volek cut next week, which would be a mistake. I think the Titans are sending the wrong message to someone who has proven that he should be the starter this season if not next. He has a good record and passer rating in relief for Air McNair. This smells of Bud Adams meddling with the team. :fartnew:

Diden't they extend volek? noway he gets cut anyways he'll be traded