Curnutte Slams Mikey

HoosierCat

Wow. Curnutte seems p*ssed. Think the Cincy media was salivating at the prospect of having Sapp to quote? :lol: Anyhow, he really hammers Mikey, beating on the front office in just about every answer.

In response to who's to blame for losing Sapp...

Many fans are blaming Bengals president Mike Brown for the botched Sapp deal. Who knows except the people inside the room?

Through 13 consecutive non-winning seasons, Brown is the constant. He, ultimately, is responsible for what happens. Just about everything crosses his desk.

In response to the inability to sign a corner...

The difference between now and then is Lewis. He has given the Bengals credibility, but one can't escape the feeling that the rug is pulled financially from beneath his feet from time to time.

In response to whether the raiders can still afford CD...

A: Don't worry too much about the Raiders' ability to take on Dillon's salary, should he end up there in a trade.

For all of their faults, the Raiders don't use the salary cap as an excuse not to try to win at all costs by aggressively pursuing players that they think can help.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2004/03/24/ben1email.html

EXACTLY!! I've heard all the talk about building a team from the draft and being fiscally responsible and all that. I tell ya folks, I would gladly give up a year of salary cap hell for a legit chance at a championship. Seems like NFL teams all take their turns of salary cap hell such as Tennessee and Tampa Bay this year. But where did it get them in the prior years? PLAYOFFS! Only really takes one year to clean the slate and start over again. Pay these guys huge signing bonuses with long term contracts to get them in the door, a few years (or couple) later, hell arrives. As the rest of the NFL rotates through this cycle, we continue to hold fast to tradition. I could argue both ways but wanted to throw this out there.

I hear ya, chrish. Tho I see Mikey more as Gollum, hunched over and clutching his wallet. "My Precious...my Precious...Marvin wants you but he can't haves you, oh, no, no, no, my Precious..." :lol:

I just found this interesting because Curnutte has been pretty supportive of things since Marvin came to town -- even echoing R.W. Hobson's excuses from time to time -- and this is the first real wack I've seen him take. I think it's a sign that the honeymoon period for Marvin & Co. has finally come to an end.

EXACTLY!! I've heard all the talk about building a team from the draft and being fiscally responsible and all that. I tell ya folks, I would gladly give up a year of salary cap hell for a legit chance at a championship.

I think you can do it without going into salary cap hell; the key is not to sign everything in sight like DC, but to pick your shots -- and when you have someone targeted, you have to be prepared to go to the mat for them. Until the Bengals learn to play the game by the same rules as everyone else, March is always going to be a rough month for Bengal fans.

I just get this feeling that Mike was feeling left out and has decided to get more hands-on this year. I hope someday soon that he will step down and turn it over to his daughter and get out of the day-to-day. I have alot more respect for her and Troy than for him. They seem to have a sense of reality while MB seems to be stuck in some kind of Groundhog Day time warp.

Anyone who thinks 4 year for 4 million isn't stepping up to the plate is sick in the head. I don't want Sapp for 7 years like the Radiersa did. He is only going to be productive for at the most 3 years. He is already 31 y/o. How many more good years do you thnk hes got.

Anyone who thinks 4 year for 4 million isn't stepping up to the plate is sick in the head.  I don't want Sapp for 7 years like the Radiersa did.  He is only going to be productive for at the most 3 years.  He is already 31 y/o.  How many more good years do you thnk hes got.

First, the Raiders will only keep him for two years -- maybe three if he's still killin' QBs. But after two seasons they can cut him and actually free up cap space, because the remainder of his signing bonus will be far smaller than his salary. The 7-year, $36 million bit is just fluff; It's a 2-year, $9.8 million deal. Anything beyond that is at Al Davis' discretion.

Second, as I've said before, FA isn't about making fair offers. The only players who get "fair" offers are ones with no leverage. Anybody with a big name or playing a key position gets overpaid. The question is, how does a team approach free agency? Some teams spend like drunken sailors; I don't advocate that. Others ID the player or players they want, and then do whatever it takes to get them (like the Raiders did with Sapp). And then there are teams like the Bengals, who tell FAs, we want you, but this is all we're willing to pay you. Is it any wonder we lose out so often?

(Glad everyone liked the Gollumn bit :))