How We Can Save Our Off-Season...

Bengals44

Well many of us are a bit dissappointed w/ the off-season results of our beloved Bengals, but all hope is not lost... So far the'hawks have still yet to sign Bobby Taylor... Certainly we have to believe we are still trying to get him... If we got Taylor and re-signed Beckett, life would look much better in an instant... Toss in dumping Dillion for that 3rd rd. pick and we are suddenly set up well for the draftl... We absolutely must get another CB and S and if we solve those needs prior to the draft, we can get Wilfolk (wishfull thinking) or Randy Starks in the first rd. - if neither is avail. we can trade down and fill many needs in the first three rounds... DT's are deep enough in this draft to get help in the second round in that area... We could get a DT and maybe Jake Peavy © and still have at least three picks left prior to ending the third round... That would leave OG as the last very obvious hole to fill, w/ maybe DE and MLB to follow... Things can turn around for us real quick - lets not judge this off-season until after the draft...

Well I just read that Taylor signed w/ the 'hawks - my theory just got stabbed in the back...

Our season ultimately lies within the draft....and maybe some waiver pickups.....Coach Lewis himself stated that you can't build a team with FA, you build with what you recieve in the draft....That being said, I think we can address all of our needs with some well thought out picks, with a smidgen of luck....Getting a pick for CD will help out tremendously as well....I used to think we could get a 2nd but that is out of the window now <_<

Getting a 2nd for Corey Dillon is still very much an option.

As it stands now---the deal that CD was referring to that his agent had got was a 3rd this year, and a 5th next.

If the Raiders are already willing to give up a 2 picks for Dillon and the 3rd this year is the # 67th overall....I have no doubt that someone like Dallas # 52, Denver # 41 & 54, and N.E. # 57 could steal CD away from them simply by offering a 2nd. --

---I seriously doubt that Bowlen and Shanahan are gonna let Oakland get Corey without them trying to run some type of interference.NO way the Broncos lose Portis , and then have to face the guy that ran for 278 yards against them twice a year.

--But that's just my take.

Well, the first thing the Bengals could do to get back on track would be to quit mucking around with logos and go resign Rogers Beckett. Bengals.com today says it looks like they're finally moving in that direction. However, Beckett's talked to at least three other clubs, so if anyone offers 50 cents more than us I'm not sure we'll pursue. <_<

A guard to replace Goof would be nice. I'd rather have a vet there with Palmer starting. I've heard mixed reviews about the guy they're chasing, Bobbie Williams, tho.

As for the June 2 cuts, there's always less there than meet the eye every year, and in any event we won't be the only team bidding. We should know by then where the biggest hole(s) lie, but whether they'll put up to fill it (them) I don't know. From what's gone on so far this year, I doubt it. :(

We will be lucky to get a conditional third in 05 for CD.

We have a offer sheet for Beckett & he wants to be here.

Safties are Herring 6'3 Beckett 6'3 both hit.

CB D.Weathersby HAS to come to play. You can be sure we'll get Gamble or Hall in the draft.

CB T.James, Weathesby and say Gamble CB is a must in the draft no more get the best player for this year anyway.

We need to sign B.Williams to another vet. on the OL.

Plus our 2nd & 3rd picks. We'll be just fine

The ONLY WAY to save the offseason now is to have an A+ rating in the Draft. This also means NOT drafting Gamble in the 1st round.

If you watched last year, Gamble had an absolutely TERRIBLE year at OSU. The loss at Wisconsin was partly HIS FAULT (he got burnt by a backup QB and a mediocre WR on a 5-yard out and up pattern that Gamble looked totally lost on). He looked like crap all year long...and forget about him returning punts too--Tressel replaced his sorry-ass after THE FUMBLE. Gamble is a PROJECT. The Bungles need someone they can plug into a starting role NOW!!!

Drafting a Defensive Tackle or Offensive Guard with the 17th pick in the 1st round is the smart choice.

But of course, we're talking about a Brown Family Draft here. I'm thinking they will pick Gamble. :(

Yeah, Carey at 17 just isn't a good value..Trading down, because all of the other top options are gone makes the most sense.

* I'm still holding out that one of the top 4 ( my new top 4 ) will be there at 17.

1. Harris 2. Udeze 3. Wilfork 4. Will Smith de ohio st--which is who I'm leaning on.

*USC's pro-day is today- so we'll see if Udeze can do what Smith did last week in his phenom pro-day.

* Hall will not be there, and I'm not sold on Drafting Dunta Robinson at # 17. -Will Smith is my candidate if I had to choose between the 2 of them.

* --Randy Starks, poor pro-day has him falling , and he could fall out of the 1st round. I doubt that it'll happen, especially with Colts,KC,Seattle,Dallas,GB-all needing defensive line help.,but trading down to grab him is an option as well.

My guess is the Bengals pick up a safety and guard before the draft. We could pick up the geezers in Marion and Ruben Brown. I believe we have developing lineman so long term is not necessary. We have to address the Dillon situation before or during the draft. The first pick is a big question mark. I used to think it was going to be a CB but actually Gamble and Hall are running up the board and may not be there. The best D-line will probably be gone as well. It may come down to Dunta Robinson or Starks. Personally I would go with whats toughest to pick up on the street and that seems to CB. But really it all depends on what's left when it gets to our pick. Vilma would be nice to have as well.

* I'm still holding out that one of the top 4 ( my new top 4 ) will be there at 17.

1. Harris 2. Udeze 3. Wilfork 4. Will Smith de ohio st--which is who I'm leaning on.

*USC's pro-day is today- so we'll see if Udeze can do what Smith did last week in his phenom pro-day.

* Hall will not be there, and I'm not sold on Drafting Dunta Robinson at # 17. -Will Smith is my candidate if I had to choose between the 2 of them.

* --Randy Starks, poor pro-day has him falling , and he could fall out of the 1st round. I doubt that it'll happen, especially with Colts,KC,Seattle,Dallas,GB-all needing defensive line help.,but trading down to grab him is an option as well.

Forget Harris, Udeze, Wilfork & Hall. They'll be gone. Smith we have a shot at, IMHO.

If they draft a CB at 17 I honestly don't care who as long as it ISN'T Gamble.

If Starks is there at 17 I take him. I don't give a sheot about his pro day, but about his play. We might be able to slide down but frankly I'd rather shore up then interior and be accused of reaching than gamble and miss out.

Jungle: No Vilma. Take Rod Davis in the second...

(JoiseyCat: official Rod Davis in '04 Pimp)

Here Joisey, You might like this....

1.http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Randy Starks*

2.http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Marcus Tubbs

3.http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Darnell Dockett

4.http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Rod Davis

Thought I'd give you a list of the " supposed " other d-lineman that could go in round one.

And a little background on Rod Davis.

Thanks for the links. Dockett and Tubbs have both long been seen as round 2 guys, and I'd be OK with taking either in the second. (Personally, in the second the DT I'm fondest of Igor Olshansky; how can you not like a DT named Igor? :lol:)

Heck, if they went d-line in both the first and second rounds I'd be happy. Who could complain if we came away with something like Smith in the first and a solid DT in the second? As for CB, if they don't take one in the first, skip the position on day 1 and take a flyer on a sleeper or two on day 2. I've had my fill of second-round corners, and I think they'll go o-line in the 3rd.

Gotta love that Davis, huh? Great guy on and off the field.

I think Gamble would be a great pick at seventeen. In the Wisconsin game yes he was burned on the play but Lee Evans had been quite up until that point. With Weathersby and Gamble you are looking at basically 2 first round corners in the last 2 years Similar to Baltimore in 97,98 when the got McCallister and Starks. Herring has played with young corners before and I believe will make these young corners play well.

I think Gamble would be a great pick at seventeen. In the Wisconsin game yes he was burned on the play but Lee Evans had been quite up until that point. With Weathersby and Gamble you are looking at basically 2 first round corners in the last 2 years Similar to Baltimore in 97,98 when the got McCallister and Starks. Herring has played with young corners before and I believe will make these young corners play well.

But Gamble is at least a year, and probably 2 from being able to start in this league...He has to be "rebuilt" to be a shutdown corner...In fact I've heard that he's starting to slip down the draft boards because of that....He is not worth the 17th pick...He'll be a project pick for a team that has the depth, we need the 1st round pick to come in and produce.