Fan Backlash on Kentucky Speedway

LB51

Heat on Kentucky Speedway

(Concord, NC) The Kentucky Speedway, LLC is causing a growing fan backlash at the Coca Cola 600 by threatening NASCAR's power to determine which tracks host Nextel Cup races. The owners of the Kentucky Speedway,which currently hosts NASCAR Busch and Craftsmen series races, are suing NASCAR in order to change the way Nextel Cup races are awarded.

This weekend marks the beginning of a campaign to encourage NASCAR to reject the goals of the Speedway lawsuit and sever all business relationshipswith the track and its key investors' businesses until the suit is withdrawn.

Fans are signing petitions to demand that NASCAR cut off the KentuckySpeedway and laundry-giant Cintas Corporation, the official supplier of NASCAR uniforms and a sponsor of drivers and tracks.

Richard Farmer, Chairman of the Cintas Corporation, is part-owner of the Kentucky Speedway."NASCAR is unique because everyone, the fans, drivers, sponsors and track owners win. This lawsuit could ruin the NASCAR family forever," said ValeriePurdue, longtime fan.

The lawsuit was filed in July of last year against NASCAR and the International Speedway Corporation. If it is successful it will require thatNASCAR open races to a competitive bidding process between tracks. The suit is also seeking $1.2 billion in damages from NASCAR.

Fans will be distributing information over the weekend and at future NEXTEL Cup events that detail the following ways for fans to voice their opposition to the lawsuit.

Signing petitions throughout the weekend at various events and at the Lowe's Speedway"

Sending text messages to NASCAR saying no suit with their name and then dialing 56658"

Visiting a newly established website, www.thetracksuit.info<http://www.thetracksuit.info/>

posted by lance1360homer at 5:11 PM

This could mean problems!

Cintas and/or Ky. Speedway etc..., do not need "$1.2 billion" in damages for God's sakes. What's that all about? All the lost races they couldn't get in the past?

I can see them suing simply for the right to bid on the races possibly, but to purposely try to put the industry in financial ruin? WTH?

There's something I'm unaware of.

Furthermore I cannot understand the huge risk Farmer is taking by suing possibly his most high profile client!!!!

Again, what am I missing here?

1. Who are these "fans" and what do they care? Furthermore, are they truly fans or NASCAR operatives planting seeds of propaganda for PR support?

1a. How could this lawsuit "ruin the France family". One man of this family was rumored to be buying an NFL team for Pete's sake. Secondly, how does this fan know this? Is the "family" the operatives in the stands planting propaganda seeds for PR support?

2. I don't think the 1.2 billion is like a check or anything. I'm guessing it's covering renovation costs at Kentucky to actually host an event -- right now, they aren't even close.

Ahh, this just gets fishier and fishier...