Nextel drivers in Busch race

Larry

What do you all think? Should the Nextel drivers be allowed to race? Maybe only certain number of races... Maybe only rookies of Nextel.

I know it is to draw fans, but it seems to me it would like sending Palmer down to arena league just so a team could win the big game.

Also, how about the money. Hard for the regular busch teams to compete with a bank roll and resourses of the big boys?

I think an easy way to keep Cup stars from abusing the Busch series would be to not let a driver that has won a cup race in the past or current season to race in Busch.

This still allows for some big names to draw a crowd and let the younger cup drivers continue to build thier name and confidence.

They need to limit how many can race in each race. Maybe only allow 5-8. I also look at it like this. These young guys who want to someday make it in Cup get to practice and show respect to those guys in Busch. If they can't do anything with them in Busch how are they going to be able to do anything with them in Cup?

First of all, the Cup drivers doing this is well within the confines of the rules.

This is my take.

If NASCAR truly wants to make the Busch series stand out on it's own, first thing they should do is seperate the races. No more Busch and Cup dates at the same track. Keep them seperate.

I don't think limiting the number of races a Cup driver can race is realistic. First of all, there are seven drivers driving both series full time. Do you limit them?

And let's bring up the subject of sponsership dollars. The Busch series is getting a lot of benefits.

Honestly, I think the only problem exists in terms of points and pay outs. Give the Busch series order priority over the Cup Series. If the top six are cup drivers at the end of a race and the seventh is a Busch series driver, then give the Busch series driver first place points and money. That way you keep the Cup in the Busch series, but reward the Busch series drivers for running amongst themselves. PLUS, if you limit the Cup series incentives -- ie, payouts -- then you'll help reduce the owners decision of running Busch series races.

Maybe you could change the Busch series setup to where they drive differently (ie, using Hooiser tires or something)

I say adjust slightly to benefit the Busch series drivers and the setups eventually forcing owners to decide it's just not worth it.

good post kirkendall, I like the idea of giving points and payout to the busch series. Not sure about the tires. That seems a little much, but how about capping the amount of money / practice time. On the practice time, make the Cup drivers go through inspections last. And as far as guys that run both full schedules, they should be exempt from that. But only if they run the entire schedule.

good post kirkendall, I like the idea of giving points and payout to the busch series. Not sure about the tires. That seems a little much, but how about capping the amount of money / practice time. On the practice time, make the Cup drivers go through inspections last. And as far as guys that run both full schedules, they should be exempt from that. But only if they run the entire schedule.

My point with the tires is to make the cars drive differently. So the Cup drivers aren't using the Busch series race as a testing session. Tires is probably a bad example, but other than spoilers, greenhouse and maybe decklids with limited gear ratios (I think) there's no much difference on these cars.

I will admit though, the Busch series races, with a lot of cup drivers is a blast to watch.

In the end though, I think NASCAR will do all in their power to make sure Cup drivers enter Busch series races. There's a lot of $$$ there, and a lot of entertainment. Plus, most of the tracks ran are at ISC tracks so NASCAR benefits twice...

I love NASCAR. :cheers:

Looks like there's "discussion" to make Busch cars different models than the Cup cars.

One possible way: Change the Busch Series cars from sedans to the manufacturers’ “pony” cars—the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Toyota Solara.

Sound farfetched? It isn’t.

“It’s under discussion with NASCAR,” said John Fernandez, director of Dodge’s racing operation. “It isn’t to what I’d consider the serious stage, but it is under discussion.”

Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing Technology, said, “We’ve discussed it. And I’d like to see it. We need to do something about the Busch Series.”

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60417030/1111

First of all, the Cup drivers doing this is well within the confines of the rules.

This is my take.

If NASCAR truly wants to make the Busch series stand out on it's own, first thing they should do is seperate the races. No more Busch and Cup dates at the same track. Keep them seperate.

I don't think limiting the number of races a Cup driver can race is realistic. First of all, there are seven drivers driving both series full time. Do you limit them?

And let's bring up the subject of sponsership dollars. The Busch series is getting a lot of benefits.

Honestly, I think the only problem exists in terms of points and pay outs. Give the Busch series order priority over the Cup Series. If the top six are cup drivers at the end of a race and the seventh is a Busch series driver, then give the Busch series driver first place points and money. That way you keep the Cup in the Busch series, but reward the Busch series drivers for running amongst themselves. PLUS, if you limit the Cup series incentives -- ie, payouts -- then you'll help reduce the owners decision of running Busch series races.

Maybe you could change the Busch series setup to where they drive differently (ie, using Hooiser tires or something)

I say adjust slightly to benefit the Busch series drivers and the setups eventually forcing owners to decide it's just not worth it.

I think the Busch whackers need to stay in their own lane. The only reason they run the Busch Series is for testing purposes only in preparation for the Nextel Cup event. Yes, NASCAR schedules the events to coincide with Nextel Cup because of the promotional aspect of it. But that needs to change. If the Busch Series is to survive as it is intended, a proving ground for the next Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewert, it needs to stand on its own. It is unfair for the Busch Series drivers that has the ability to win a Busch race only to finish 7th behind the 6 Nextel Cup drivers that used the race to test their equipment.

Yes, the rules allow for this. But NASCAR has always changed to the rules as it see's fit and it should make changes immediately to allow the Busch drivers only to compete in their own series.

The Busch Series should be treated as MLB treats the AAA, AA and single A baseball Leagues. A place to prepare a driver for the next step. Once a driver is promoted to Nextel Cup, he/she should not be allowed back into the Busch Series unless they are released indefinably from their Nextel Cup team. Yes, I know the Minor Leagues are used as rehab for injured players, but the Nextel Cup teams will use this loophole to send their driver for testing purposes after having a wreck in a race the previous week. I believe they would scheme to fake an injury to justify entering the driver into the next Busch race.

The Busch Series was created to give aspiring drivers a chance to show their stuff and it needs to stay that way. The Nextel Cup drivers should not be allowed to enter any Busch Series event.

If you listen to analysts and experts, most will note, while it's not fair for the teams and drivers that only run Busch, the series overall is more popular than ever. For example, this weekend, you have Biffle, Kenseth, Kurt and Kyle Busch, Ken Schrader, Casey Mears, Mark Martin, J.J. Yeley, Denny Hamlin, Scott Riggs, Edwards, McMurray, Harvick, Sorenson, Sadler, Sorenson, Bowyer, and Waltrip.

Those names alone will encourage more seats sold at the track, more advertising dollars spent for the race rising race winnings (for Busch only drivers too!) and more exposure.

And not all drivers went through the Busch series. In fact, Kurt Busch was in his first Busch race two weeks ago and Tony Stewart won his first Busch race in 2005. Both are the past champions.

I see you're point, but taking the cup drivers out of the Busch series entirely, I believe, overall, hurts the series (therefore indirectly hurting the drivers and teams).