Our holes on Defense are filling up.

ntpou

I don't know about yous but after the signings of Webster, Herring, and possibly Vincent. Our secondary is no longer a weakness. LB are looking soild. We still have the draft to go which we'll proably go for a DL in the 1st. Also B.Marion is still out there. Where do you think our hole is now.

1. OG

2. DL

ok in a nutshell...

1. backup running back with the eventual trade of Dillon.(possibly starter)

2. Tight End....This area will continue to be a weakness because it's a Tight End by Committee... Palmer who has been likened to Troy Aikman will probably need a good 3rd option in our base offense, and Schobel has trouble getting open.and most teams know what we're going to do depending on who's on the field.

3. right offensive guard/center-/backup tackle.---we need to replace Goff, Draft a Center for the future..and better our depth behind Levi Jones and W.Anderson. We were exposed when Levi went down, and Big Willy is no spring chicken anymore !

4. Linebacker Depth.... Riall Johnson ,Dwayne Levels,Adrian Ross should expect some serious camp competition, and if a linebacker is drafted, expect one or more of these guys to be released.

5. Defensive Tackle. ....The only guy here worthy of a roster spot is John Thornton...Just like Oliver Gibson, I expect Tony Williams to be a casualty. Glen Steeles' roster spot could be filled by last years' 6th round pick, Langston Moore (south Carolina-practice squad)...he's got decent size at 6-1 304lbs...and could replace him in goal line situations and as a wave d-lineman.The draft will most assuredly bring in a 'big-nasty'.

6. Defensive End....Justin Smith's play against the run last year was better, but Duane Clemons is 32, and we don't have an eventual replacement on this roster. Last years' 7th round pick Elton Patterson will be given a chance to earn a spot in a rotation.

7. Punter....Kyle Richardson has been too inconsistent like every Bengal punter since Lee Johnson. A replacement must be found... (maybe someone should call Travis Dorsche and see what he's up to..?)

ya i want to put leyva or kooistra in at gaurd to block for palmer...are u frickin crazy?!? :blink:

We need a gaurd - now. Either by FA or by the draft in say the 2nd round. Our D-Line should be mended with our first pick, cuz i see us getting either taylor or vincent at CB and that will be fine for the time being. ;)

ya i want to put leyva or kooistra in at gaurd to block for palmer...are u frickin crazy?!? :blink:

We need a gaurd - now. Either by FA or by the draft in say the 2nd round. Our D-Line should be mended with our first pick, cuz i see us getting either taylor or vincent at CB and that will be fine for the time being. ;)

Without addressing the defensive line in the first and second round of the draft, you won't have to worry about ANYBODY blocking for Palmer. Our offense won't be getting the ball very often! We'll be watching replay after replay of the last game with Cleveland where they kept the ball from our offense and ran roughshod all over our defensive line! The defensive line of Cincy COULDN'T stop the run, and they COULDN'T put consistant pressure on the other teams QB.

I'd much rather deal with the shortcomings of the past offensive line than the past defensive line. Like the title of this thread states "Our holes on defense are filling up." But they're not filled YET!! :)

What's wrong with either? The times they came in during the season, they played as tackles not guards. The two positions are vastly different. Give one or the other an open competition and they'll be ok. Anderson will take either under his wing and the best lineman in all of football will show him the light. If we can pick up a guard in the FA, fine, that's cool with me. But don't draft one until your defense is at least comfortable. We have too many more problems on defense than offense.

We have too many more problems on defense than offense.

I can understand people wanting a kick ass offensive line. I do too! But without a defense to get the ball for the offense we're just pissin' in the wind!

We have too many more problems on defense than offense.

I can understand people wanting a kick ass offensive line. I do too! But without a defense to get the ball for the offense we're just pissin' in the wind!

I.E, Kansas City. What did they prove? They could move the ball at will, but didn't get past the first round because of their D. Sad.

Nothing is more frustrating than watching another teams offense run roughshod all over your defense! Ol' Boobie Clark here will vouch for me when I say I screamed myself hoarse during the season finale with Cleveland when he and I watched it together in Phoenix! It totally killed what should have been a blast! :angry:

I believe i stated get a DL in round 1, a OG in round 2, and then do defense the rest of the draft is my vote. I know we need more help on defense, but if we only address defense, our offense will be our issues will have role reversals and we'd be like baltimore :unsure:

I believe i stated get a DL in round 1, a OG in round 2, and then do defense the rest of the draft is my vote. I know we need more help on defense, but if we only address defense, our offense will be our issues will have role reversals and we'd be like baltimore :unsure:

I see your point jditty, but I don't think our offensive weaknesses are near as bad as the Ravens. They have no decent QB (We have TWO, IMHO!) in either Boller (please) or Wright (a.k.a. Mr. Inconsistantcy) and only one viable reciever. (Heap, and he's good!)

I still see the Bengals on top of the division come next fall, with both a formidable defense AND offense! Marvin knows his s**t. Trust him. I do!

To add on Billys point, I don't think we've lost anything other than Goff and O'Dwyer (two very average OL) that warrents any kind of offensive presence in the draft. Anyway, Lewis said the first day would be defense only.

Nothing is more frustrating than watching another teams offense run roughshod all over your defense! Ol' Boobie Clark here will vouch for me when I say I screamed myself hoarse during the season finale with Cleveland when he and I watched it together in Phoenix! It totally killed what should have been a blast! 

I wondered why Boobie hasn't been around lately.

I wondered why Boobie hasn't been around lately.

Oh he'll be back, don't worry. He just doesn't go in for all of this hypothetical draft/free agent guessing game that pervades forums such as this one this time of year. He's chomping at the bit for football to start, same as all of us. B)

Actually Marvin said : that he would pick the best available player regardless of position....

If we lose out on Harris,Udeze,and Wilfork, then I suggest we trade down a couple of spots to get Starks.

If we want a linebacker.. I'm betting that D.J.Williams becomes either a Bear,Bucc, or a 49er.... and 17 is too high for John Vilma.

The only value there at 17 if the top lb,dl are gone would be 1 of the top 2 corners in Hall , and Gamble.. Even then I'd be willing to trade down !