Madieu's status in '06?

NYBengalfan

Hobson's Choice: Return of Madieu is coming attraction

February 15, 2006

What is the status on Madieu Williams for next season? I hear a lot of talk about getting a safety through the draft or free agency, but If Madieu is healthy, he gives us an "all pro" caliber safety.

Jason, Mason, Ohio

JASON: As one Bengals’ insider said recently, “Having Madieu back is like having an extra first-round pick,” and Marvin Lewis has already said he expects Williams back for the spring camps. His return, obviously, paints the secondary with a different brush when looking at free agency and the draft.

There has been no indication from the Bengals that they expect complications from the shoulder surgery that ended Williams’ season after just four games. If he’s the same guy that played as a rookie two years ago, then he’s their best defensive player as a safety who can go get and catch the ball as well as make a sure tackle on a blitz or in the box.

And, don’t forget, he’s also their best nickel cornerback. That is going to make them better on third down, which got to be a big problem down the stretch. His presence should also help the other sore Achilles’ heel from late in the year, the long pass plays.

Given that Williams is a do-it-all defensive back, it would make you think that allows the Bengals to pursue more of an in-the-box safety that can really support the running game.

Obviously Lewis isn’t looking for a fourth linebacker (Tank Williams?) because he’s always talking about how both his safeties have to be able to run, cover, and be interchangeable. But if a guy like the Steelers’ Chris Hope is more of a center-field type, then is that what they really need back there? It would seem they need the big tackler, and wouldn’t that be a guy more like the Rams’ Adam Archuleta?

The biggest question in free agency might not be which safety they pursue, but what kind. Lewis is always mindful of the pass, but will they give up some coverage to be stouter in the AFC Stout?

By the time free agency and the draft clears with Williams in toe, you figure a guy like veteran safety Kim Herring and his $1.2 million salary are going to be in a roster fight and a young practice squad safety like the promising Herana-Daze Jones is probably going to be pushing a veteran like Anthony Mitchell if Mitchell does the expected and re-signs.

The return of Williams certainly has the juices flowing. Put him in there with the two kids who are no longer rookies (linebackers Odell Thurman and David Pollack) for the first time and that’s a ton of athleticism.

:sure: Madieu got hurt twice in early in both seasons, but from what I saw, I loved every bit of it! I think that he is a good safety and should not let him go. maybe if we pick up someone like an Archuletta, Hope or Dexter Jackson it would be a great pair of safeties. I think if that all happens we can focus on the D line in the draft.

Will be a welcome sight to have him back after watching KK get burned up and down the field all year, especially in the postseason.

I. Ohalete was the one who was always getting burned KK did fine for being what he is a backup and also made quite abit of plays what plays....I would even be fine with KK starting if they diden't wanna rush our rookie safety :P aslong as madieu is in with him

I hear people talk about KK and how he did so great considering he was brought in to start off the bench and how he doesn't get paid for what he has done or comes very cheap. All of that may be the case, but I still don't like his a$$ and won't shed a single tear to see him go. Give me a rookie to start with Madieu and I'll be fine, he can't be that much worse. Maybe Indiana Jones will come around for depth this year, who knows. Don't even get me started on OhIsuckalote, because that was just pathetic...

WHODEY !!!

Will be a welcome sight to have him back after watching KK get burned up and down the field all year, especially in the postseason.

I. Ohalete was the one who was always getting burned KK did fine for being what he is a backup and also made quite abit of plays what plays....I would even be fine with KK starting if they diden't wanna rush our rookie safety :P aslong as madieu is in with him

I totally agree Ohalete was the one missing tackles and getting burned all the time. I myself like KK alot, I met him at Georgetown last year and he's a really nice guy. I think he does a pretty good job

I hear people talk about KK and how he did so great considering he was brought in to start off the bench and how he doesn't get paid for what he has done or comes very cheap. All of that may be the case, but I still don't like his a$$ and won't shed a single tear to see him go. Give me a rookie to start with Madieu and I'll be fine, he can't be that much worse. Maybe Indiana Jones will come around for depth this year, who knows. Don't even get me started on OhIsuckalote, because that was just pathetic...

WHODEY !!!

You are freaking BLIND dude, if you call what KK did getting burnt all the time and not playing well, I feel sorry for all the guys who are going to be shot because you THOUGHT they were the enemy and can't tell s**t from shinola. KK Played damned well, and is always around the ball. He's probably the best third string safety in the league.

WHODEY !!!

You are freaking BLIND dude, if you call what KK did getting burnt all the time and not playing well, I feel sorry for all the guys who are going to be shot because you THOUGHT they were the enemy and can't tell s**t from shinola. KK Played damned well, and is always around the ball. He's probably the best third string safety in the league.

Wow, thanks for your opinion... I'll tell you what, go back and reread my post... All I said was I won't be unhappy to see him leave and never cared for him as a player. Some players, regardless of what they do, won't be liked by some fans. KK is mine. You like him as a player, GREAT !!! Be satisfied with what he gives you on the field. I would prefer more. Don't try to stir sh*t up from the Military standpoint either, I don't make fun of janitors !!! :D

WHODEY !!!

WHODEY !!!

Sorry, but you deserved to be called a Moron for making that military remark

MORON :sure:

There I said it.

WHODEY !!!

Wow, thanks for your opinion... I'll tell you what, go back and reread my post... All I said was I won't be unhappy to see him leave and never cared for him as a player. Some players, regardless of what they do, won't be liked by some fans. KK is mine. You like him as a player, GREAT !!! Be satisfied with what he gives you on the field. I would prefer more. Don't try to stir sh*t up from the Military standpoint either, I don't make fun of janitors !!! :D

WHODEY !!!

First of all, I'm not making fun of the military. I have great respect for those that serve. However, I do think that anyone who can't tell that it wasn't KK making the mistakes but Ohalete not only needs glasses, but might be disqualified from service, hopefully before there is a problem with friendly fire.

You say you aren't satisfied with what he gives us on the field, I'd love to hear an explanation for that one. He's ended up starting two seasons in a row, and has played as well as can be expected from a backup. You know not everyone on the freaking team is a first string player. The salary cap prevents that in case you missed it. He has outplayed and greatly exceeded any expectations we can have for a 3rd string player. Heck, he's greatly exceeded expectations for a 2nd string player.

First of all, I'm not making fun of the military. I have great respect for those that serve. However, I do think that anyone who can't tell that it wasn't KK making the mistakes but Ohalete not only needs glasses, but might be disqualified from service, hopefully before there is a problem with friendly fire.

So KK had a flawless season and every single error in the secondary was Ohalete's fault (considering your recent statements about Tory James as well)? C'mon man, both safeties had their issues. Ohalete was one of the worst safeties in the league this year, but KK was by no means leaps and bounds better.

You say you aren't satisfied with what he gives us on the field, I'd love to hear an explanation for that one. He's ended up starting two seasons in a row, and has played as well as can be expected from a backup. You know not everyone on the freaking team is a first string player. The salary cap prevents that in case you missed it. He has outplayed and greatly exceeded any expectations we can have for a 3rd string player. Heck, he's greatly exceeded expectations for a 2nd string player.

I'd agree he played well as a backup, but nobody here is denying that. They want to see an improvement over KK, and Kim Herring too. That would explain all the buzz surrounding grabbing a new safety in the draft or free agency.

i will be happy when madieu is back in the line up . as for kk i was real high on him the first season he was here . last season he was getting burned way more than he should have been. he is not that good of a player average at best . i still don't know why they won't give landon a shot at ss . the colts game dallas clark burned kk kewain and ohaleta in the first half. they moved landon on him early in the 3rd quarter after he burn or backups again . and he did not catch another pass the rest of the game with landon on him . landon should be our ss he is the exact same size as ohalete and is faster and better in coverage.

I never said KK had a flawless season. However, he plays his role and goes far beyond it. Where are your complaints to get rid of guys like Marcus Wilkens, Keiwan Ratliff, Anthony Mitchell, Rashad Bauman, Greg Brooks, Stacy Andrews, Scott Kooistra, and Craig Krenzel? They didn't perform perfectly on the field and certainly aren't starting material either. They only reason you are complaining about KK is because for the second year he was asked to step up above what his role on the team is and start all season due to injuries at his position.

OK, you aren't hearing me on this one...

I NEVER SAID KK IS THE ONLY PROBLEM... I stated I wouldn't mind seeing him go. Many of the others you have stated would be more than welcome to see the door as well. Ohisuckalote is the biggest mistake the Bengals ever put in stripes. WE AGREE ON THAT... Most of the other guys also were not starters week in and week out and never will be. You said it yourself, KK was asked to step up above what his role on the team is. My problem is he didn't step up enough. If it is your opinion that he did step up enough and you are satified, then we will agree to disagree on that one. I don't deny he did the best he could, but his best just isn't good enough in a starters role. Just like Kitna's best got us to 8-8. I say the same to him, buh-bye... If KK stepped up "enough" safety wouldn't be looked at so strongly in the draft. Hell some have us taking two safties in order to have some backup... Once again, we need an upgrade...

WHODEY !!!

WHODEY !!!

Pimpin' Double K....I like it!

KK is underrated...Never thought he was that bad....

But dang TNBT, easy on the shootin' the enemy stuff! It's only football!

I'm one of those saying we need two safeties in free agency and the draft, but it's not because of KK. KK is well worth his money. Is he worth the money a player who played as much as he has the last two seasons would normally make? Hell no. But I want him on this team, at his salary because he is an overachiever.

He's not a strong safety either, and that is our area of need. Madieu and KK can handle free safety, but we have NOONE at strong.

I'm one of those saying we need two safeties in free agency and the draft, but it's not because of KK. KK is well worth his money. Is he worth the money a player who played as much as he has the last two seasons would normally make? Hell no. But I want him on this team, at his salary because he is an overachiever.

He's not a strong safety either, and that is our area of need. Madieu and KK can handle free safety, but we have NOONE at strong.

Yeah, people need to think about the fact we have Madieu back there....could, say, Hope and Madieu be back there together

Just need to remember whether we need SS or a FS.....people really want players that may not fit the needs and scheme....

OK, I'm cool with that statement, but think it's because of our saftey situation as a whole (which includes KK). His salary is definitely team friendly, but I don't care if he makes $2.00 or $2,000,000.00 a year, do you make this team better is the question. I know you obviously love the guy, but my opinion is that the less he's on the field (unless Madieu needs a breather) the better.

WHODEY !!!