Carnutte on The Herd

kurgan74

A few minutes ago, Mark Carnutte was asked by Colin on which direction he thought the Bengals would go in the draft. Carnutte's response was that after speaking with Marvin Lewis this week that he thought the Bengals would likely go either Safety, TE, or possibly a CB in the first round. He made no mention of a Defensive Tackle or Defensive End as a possible first round choice.

My feeling is that if the Bengals do go that route, they should trade down a few slots and pick up a mid to late 2nd round pick. Defensive tackle is deep in this year's draft, but the top 5 or 6 will likely be off the board by the time the Bengals make their 2nd round pick. :bengal:

Haven't I been saything this for a while now??

A CB...no DT...

We're definately looking at a DE, we're losing 2 DEs this offeason and there is no way we go into 2006 with 3 DEs. We're drafting one, or Marvin is going after Darren Howard.

1: Joseph/Marshall - CBs.

2. Tim Day - he's perfect for our place in the 2nd. Lewis, Bryd, David, Pope are all gone by the time we pick.

3. Dawan Landry SS/FS.

4. Montavious Stanley - DT

I'd be okay with getting Darren Howard. He's a risk... but a risk worth taking. If we did that, my preference would be getting a CB with the 1st round pick. SS is the bigger need... but you can get quality later in the draft. CB is the more difficult position, so you definetly want to use the higher pick for that.

Madieu was a late 2nd round pick, and is one of the best in the league, so a good starting SS will be available to us in the 2nd round.

DT's usually take a lot of time to mature into good NFL players... and are very hard to evaluate. I don't want to use a 1st round pick on one... so I'm glad to hear that DT wasn't big in Marvin's mind for the first round.

If we could get a decent FA DT, get Howard, and draft CB and SS in our first two rounds, our defense is set... but that is asking a lot.