6/12 Chat with Joe Reedy

TJJackson

I edited the transcript to filter out random comments, and to get the answers to immediately follow the questions - so the chronological order is off, but it's easier to read

Some good stuff here

--------------------Chat with Bengals writer Joe Reedy (06/12/2009)--------------------------------

11:59 Cincinnati.com: Good afternoon everyone. Joe Reedy is here to answer questions.

11:59 Joe Reedy: Good afternoon folks. Lets talk OTAs and minicamp next week along with anything else on your mind

11:59 [Comment From Rocco]

Is Kevin Huber that good that the Bengals will not have any competition for him at camp?

12:00 Joe Reedy: there is the possibility that they might sign another punter before training camp for another leg, but right now he's that good that he is the punter. You don't draft punters in the fifth round and then cut him

12:00 [Comment From bdizz]

How much of a veteran impact will Tank and Roy Williams really have?

12:01 Joe Reedy: Just from a veteran presence a big one. Zimmer has been impressed with Johnson's quickness while Williams is still working his way along. He didn't have a good practice yesterday and was beat on a couple plays, including the Daniel Coats route down the middle

12:01 [Comment From whaaaaaaa]

Is this new attitude for real, or just hype?

12:02 Joe Reedy: Not hype. Anytime a veteran (Johnson) and a young player (Rivers) are sharing film time together, it's a good sign. There's a lot more optimism, but then again it's only June. We'llsee though when Hard Knocks arrives

12:02 [Comment From Rocco]

At center...Kyle Cook or the "rook"?

12:03 Joe Reedy: Kyle Cook has been having a good couple weeks at OTAs. He's decisive on the line making calls and has made the job his own. Probably some competition from Santucci and Luigs, but right now he's not backing down. One thing he does need to work on is snaps out of the shotgun, a little low right now.

12:03 [Comment From TJ Jackson/Bengalszone]

Tell me about my favorite draft pick - Bernard Scott.

12:04 Joe Reedy: Fast, shifty, can get in space quickly. If he can block, and we won't see that until Training Camp, he will get playing time.

12:04 [Comment From JJ]

Will Chase Coffman play this year? Maybe start by week 8?

12:05 Joe Reedy: He'll play. I don't know if he will start because Utecht might make a run at that Chase;s biggest thing right now is seeing how he blocks since he didn't have to do that at Mizzou.

12:05 [Comment From Andy]

Joe- With Cedric Benson's inability to run through or around defenders, Brian Leonard's being white and slow and Kenny Watson being a practice squad, at best, running back, where will the Bengals rushing attack come from?

12:07 Joe Reedy: Watson will get released if he doesn't make the roster. Benson as starter and Scott and Leonard right now sharing carries. A lot of what the backs do too depends on how well this offensive line meshes.

12:07 [Comment From VaScot]

When do you think that the Bengals will focus on football and not all the distractions like Hard Knocks, Chads tattoo's, Chad and Chad?

12:08 Joe Reedy: They've been focusing on football. You could say that I as the beat writer might be spending a little more time the past 10 days focusing on #85. Hard Knocks might be a distraction the first couple days, but by Day 3 they won't recognize the cameras. As Roy Williams said: "You're worrying about fatigue after two a days and not cameras."

12:08 [Comment From jason]

why do the bengals (and many other teams) wait so long to sign their draft picks?

12:09 Joe Reedy: To see how the market and other teams slot players in terms of salaries. The one good thing about this year though is that teams are starting to sign their lower-round picks early. The Bengals will probably come to terms with some of them by July 4.

12:09 [Comment From Jason]

Will they move Coles to the slot in order to get Henry on the field now that Chad will resume his role at #1 WR?

12:10 Joe Reedy: All the receivers will be interchangeable this year since all three have played inside and outside, so you'll see them moved around plenty to create matchup problems.

12:10 [Comment From jason]

it seems we have an over abundance of wr with chad back, henry, coles, caldwell, simpson, chatman, etc.... who makes the team?

12:11 Joe Reedy: And also Freddie Brown and Quan Cosby. First five you mentioned with Chatman, Cosby and Brown fighting for that sixth spot. If Cosby and Brown don't make the team, I can see them going to the practice squad this year.

12:11 [Comment From TJ Jackson/Bengalszone]

I had thought that Andrew Crummie would be in the mix at C - what are they doing with him at the OTAs thus far?

12:12 Joe Reedy: He's at guard. The good thing about Crummie and Santucci is that they can also play guard, which bolsters their chance of making the roster.

12:12 [Comment From whaaaaaaa]

Goofy quetsion. Don't know where else to get the answer: Why do some players have different jerseys during the game? Some have white up to the name bar, some don't.

12:13 Joe Reedy: Whaaa -- That's a new one. I might have to check with the uniform police guy (and hard to believe but one does exist at games) to see what is up with that.

12:13 Cincinnati.com: Never heard that one either ...

12:15 [Comment From Joe in Anderson]

Isn't David Fulcher the uniform police for Bengals home games?

12:15 [Comment From TJ Jackson/Bengalszone]

(The 'uniform police' for the Bengals - some of you just might have heard this name before - David Fulcher)

12:12 [Comment From Joe in Anderson]

What was Chad's true motivation to show up for OTAs?

12:14 Joe Reedy: To get work in with the new offense for at least three practices before minicamp. Plus I think he realized it was time to come back and mend some fences after not talking to anyone on the team for four months.

12:13 [Comment From jason]

if they only keep 3 running backs, are dede dorsey and james johnson gone?

12:15 Joe Reedy: I would think so, but Dorsey might stick around if they decide to keep four. Biggest question will be how many fullbacks they keep

12:14 [Comment From Rocco]

Odom MUST have a big year...how's he lookin'? Double digit sack year is what we should expect...

12:16 Joe Reedy: Odom has gained over 30 pounds and has his quickness back. That should help to prevent injuries like he had last year. Should have more than the 3 sacks he had last year.

12:15 [Comment From cthami2]

What role will Jerome Simpson play this year? Everything I read includes Chad, Cole, Henry, and Caldwell. Will he even see the field?

12:17 Joe Reedy: Simpson should see the field a lot more this year, but he's still having problems adjusting what he learns in the classroom and taking it on to the field. When he can get over that, you should see him in four-receiver sets.

12:16 [Comment From redsfaninchicag0]

Joe - any concern Benson reverts back to his gloomy days in chicago?

12:18 Joe Reedy: There is a slight concern about that with Benson, but we'll have to see how things go after four weeks. If there's a bad start, who knows how everyone on the roster is going to react

12:16 [Comment From Jeff]

Who do you expect will be returning kickoffs and punts this year?

12:18 Joe Reedy: Kickoffs -- Caldwell; Punts -- Either Chatman, Cosby or Tom Nelson

12:17 [Comment From TFAcoach]

How good do you think the Linebackers will be this year??

12:20 Joe Reedy: Should be talented. The Maualuga-Jeanty battle at SAM during training camp will be fun to watch. Rivers is hungrier after last year and had six good games before the Ward hit. Jones looks refreshed and Jeanty is not giving up ground. Plus you also have Brandon Johnson vying for time.

12:18 [Comment From whaaaaaaa]

Who seems hungrier so far, offense or defense?

12:20 Joe Reedy: Offense so far. New playbook and faces, plus Carson, Chad and Benson feel like they have a lot to prove.

12:20 [Comment From mikejay]

what are your predictions (wins & losses) for the bengals this year. i am optimistic at 11-5

12:21 Joe Reedy: If they start 3-2, then I think 10-6 or 9-7. Anything worse after five games and its -9 or worse.

12:21 Joe Reedy: I meant 7-9 or worse, sorry

12:21 [Comment From VaScot]

The Bengals addressed the defense and with Zimmer at coach and healthy players they will probably be a top 10 or maybe even top 5 this year. However, I'm really concerned about the offensive line with all the rookies and players without an NFL snap. How do you think the offensive line will perform this year going against some of the top defenses in the league?

12:23 Joe Reedy: They should be better than last year. Even at Center, Cook is a big and physical body who shouldn't be pancaked like Ghiaciuc was the past couple years. Smith is adjusting at RT, which should support Benson and the run game. Plus Whitworth has played LT before and Williams is also a leader. In short, we won't really know until the first couple preseason games for an accurate gage.

12:23 Joe Reedy: The one thing with offensive and defensive lines -- everyone is in shorts at the moment. Hitting starts July 31 at Georgetown.

12:23 [Comment From cthami2]

Speaking of fullbacks, is Jeremi Johnson still around and, if so, is he really our best option at that position?

12:24 Joe Reedy: Jeremi is trying to get his weight down. With the additions of Vakapuna and Pressley, if Jeremi is not in shape, he'll be gone early. The two signees are old style physical fullbacks which is fun to watch.

12:24 [Comment From Steve]

Any updates on draft pick signings. Alot of teams are already signing guys.

12:25 Joe Reedy: Steve -- Probably some of them by July 4. With Sanchez signing this week, I think a partial ballpark has been set in respect to signing Andre Smith.

12:25 [Comment From Mike]

Is Rey M. capable of playing MLB in the NFL ? If so, wouldn't it better to let him play his normal position and let Dhani, who is good at all 3 LB positions, move ?

12:26 Joe Reedy: Dhani is the leader of the defense, so to me he remains the guy at MLB. With Rey's speed, he can play the outside, so see what he can do

12:25 [Comment From cthami2]

How has Michael Johnson looked in the OTA's?

12:27 Joe Reedy: Johnson has looked very good on the line and some outside linebacker. The guy is tall and athletic and has showed alot by being able to shift between the two spots, which is not easy to do in a 4-3.

12:26 [Comment From Cliff]

Are we to believe the reports about Chris Henry changing his ways? Thanks.

12:28 Joe Reedy: Cliff -- I do, plus this is the most work he has had in the offseason. This receiving corps does have the potential to be better than the '05 group, and everyone remembers how exciting that group was.

12:27 [Comment From DJ]

Who are the two starting safeties at this point?

12:29 Joe Reedy: Right now I still have Ndukwe and Crocker at safety

12:28 [Comment From whodey09]

Joe, Do you see confidence in the veterans this year? Do they seem to feel good about this years team? Carson, Whitworth,Ocho,Roy Williams, Tank, Coles

12:30 Joe Reedy: There's a lot of confidence but also its a bunch of veterans who still have a lot to prove too which is motivation.

12:29 [Comment From berney]

which draft pick is the biggest surprise so far

12:30 Joe Reedy: Freddie Brown with Bernard Scott and Michael Johnson a close second.

12:29 [Comment From Mike H.]

Do you think the drop in attendance will force Mike Brown to hire a General Manager?

12:32 Joe Reedy: Mike -- If attendance drops which in turn brings blackouts which in turn brings a drop in revenue, that only makes Mike Brown more determined. I've always said, first true test of if we see a blackout is that game against Houston. First two home games will sell out.

12:30 [Comment From Guest]

Do you think that when the Bengals get the lead in a game Bratkowski gets tentative

12:32 Joe Reedy: All offensive coordinators get tentative with a lead, just some a lot earlier and more than others

12:31 [Comment From ManInFairfield]

Carson Palmer made a statement on bengals.com that all fantasy football players should pick up Cedric Benson for their team. Is there any legitamacy to this, has Cedric looked really hungry and focused or is this just Carson trying to make his teammate look good?

12:35 Joe Reedy: Fairfield -- Knowing fantasy points, Benson is going to get a lot of carries and yards and is the first running option for a TD, that means points for fantasy players. Heck, Jamal Lewis provided a steady stream of points last year to owners for an awful team in Cleveland.

12:32 [Comment From SH]

Bengals look good on paper--do you see us making a run at the AFC North title?

12:33 Joe Reedy: Pittsburgh and Baltimore are still the teams to beat. Let's see after that first run in the division. My outlook is that at this time of the year, anything is possible.

12:32 [Comment From Mike H.]

Is it difficult covering a sports team surrounded by so much pessimism?

12:36 Joe Reedy: Mike -- It beats covering politics and homicides. With anything these days, there's a lot of pessimism. To me its like any other job, it has its good points and bad points and most days I'm the pinata. Only difference with my job is that what I do is seen by a lot more people.

12:35 [Comment From Rocco]

I saw Shane Graham and Roy Williams on the Diamondback roller coaster at KI....was that team outing?

12:37 Joe Reedy: I think KI invited players, but not sure about it being a team outing since there was a practice earlier that day.

12:35 [Comment From Tony S]

Who do you think will be a right tackle for the first game.

12:38 Joe Reedy: Tony -- Bobbie Williams

12:38 Joe Reedy: Tony, sorry I meant Andre Smith (if a potential holdout lasts less than 20 days). If its more, then probably Collins.

12:37 [Comment From Sara]

Do you think Marvin will play Ocho or sit him for last years antics?

12:39 Joe Reedy: Sara -- He'll play. The good thing is this week Chad went on his own and apologized to all the coaches for the antics. As Bratkowski said, it's a new slate.

12:40 [Comment From Mike]

How much different does the offense really look ? We've heard this story before about the offensive playbook changing after a disappointing season ? Is it more run oriented, more pass-oriented ? I hope it's a lot less predictable.

12:41 Joe Reedy: Looks a little more run oriented with some wrinkles in the passing game thrown in as far as getting most of the top receivers on the field. Some of the gadget plays were run yesterday

12:41 [Comment From berney]

how many minutes into game 1 before they call their first timeout?

12:42 Joe Reedy: Nine minutes. It won't be like the 2002 opener, Berney

12:42 [Comment From Ryan Coslett]

Do you think Mike Zimmer has had any sort of personal impact on Marvin and his coaching techniques?

12:43 Joe Reedy: Ryan -- I would have a better idea on that during the preseason. Maybe the one thing now is that Marvin can concentrate on other things a lot more and has delegated more to Zim.

12:42 [Comment From Sean Whitford]

hey Joe, What are your thoughts on the Greg Ellis? Sirius NFL says he would be a great fit...your thoughts?

12:44 Joe Reedy: Sean -- With what the Bengals have in terms of young talent on the line and at linebacker, where can you possibly fit him in? Plus he isn't coming here for the minimum. If Michael Johnson was struggling during OTAs, maybe. But right now I don't see a place you can put him.

12:45 Joe Reedy: If they're going to make another veteran more, I would say try and bring in another offensive lineman.

12:45 [Comment From Cos]

Why aren't they giving Maualuga a chance to play mike?

12:46 Joe Reedy: He's playing MIKE in nickel but Jones is still getting the reps in base. They want to see Maualuga at SAM because of his quickness and they seem him as a run stopper with the backs that are in this division.

12:46 [Comment From SH]

Is Ochocinco a Bengal next year?

12:46 Joe Reedy: Yes

12:46 [Comment From Mike K]

Do you see the Bengals picking up another Center before the season starts?

12:47 Joe Reedy: Mike -- It depends all on who is released in the preseason. In terms of a veteran leader and guy who can teach the young centers, I've always been a fan of Hank Fraley

12:47 [Comment From Ryan Coslett]

What has been the general players' reaction to the Hard Knocks taping?

12:48 Joe Reedy: They're taking it in stride. Tank and Roy have been through it before so they're telling all the young players about what to expect.

12:48 [Comment From kevin]

yes the Bengals are probably more talented than last year, but do they have the combined mental toughness and/or mentally tough leader to seriously compete for anything?

12:49 Joe Reedy: With the offseason pickups, along with departures of a couple people, it's a lot more mentally tough than the group of the past couple seasons.

12:49 [Comment From PATCH466]

is Marvin White still in the mix and to be counted on at safety?

12:50 Joe Reedy: Marvin made a couple nice plays the past couple weeks. He should be in the mix on nickel packages, but right now probably not as a starter.

12:49 [Comment From Mike K]

Is Marvin Lewis a Bengal nest year?

12:50 Joe Reedy: Mike -- It all depends on the record.

12:50 [Comment From Steve]

In terms of a 'winning attitude', what have the Steelers done that the Bengals have not?

12:51 Joe Reedy: Steve -- 30 years of tradition and only three head coaches.

12:50 [Comment From CincyJerk]

I've heard that some of the players have lost a lot of respect for Marvin Lewis over the past couple of years. Do you see that and will it show this year?

12:52 Joe Reedy: Cincy -- Haven't seen that yet. But remember it's June. It's still sunshine and lollipops. Let's see how this thing is going in September and who still is on the ship.

12:51 [Comment From Kippers]

Last year Willie, Rudie and Deltha got cut. Who do you think the suprise or veterans cuts might be this year ?

12:53 Joe Reedy: Kippers -- Too early to tell. One thing about offseason this year is that almost all the players are healthy for once and now all the starters are working out.

12:52 [Comment From Marc]

Hey Joe, good work, I was wondering if you can elaborate on what the differences will be with the offense this year? Is it just new plays, or a new approach? More/Less no huddle?

12:54 Joe Reedy: Marc -- Back to a little more run oriented with new plays. In terms of the passing game, more screens and short routes. A little quicker out of the huddle

12:54 [Comment From Ryan Coslett]

Does Chris Henry have the determination to become an All-Pro receiver?

12:55 Joe Reedy: He does and has the athletic ability. The thing is with Chad and Coles, how much will he be out there to turn voter's heads?

12:55 [Comment From Joe in Anderson]

Comment: Is it possible for an offensive line to be worse than the Bengals last year? Is it possible for an offensive line not to be better with Ghiaciuc?

12:56 Joe Reedy: Joe -- I watched Browns expansion teams with worse lines, plus Houston's 2002 line was awful, so hard to believe but there can be worse. They'll be better.

12:55 [Comment From 513Dave]

Is there an agreement that some questions can't be asked of players, whether it be kind of an unspoken rule or not? Sometimes it seems that the real hard questions are glossed over

12:57 Joe Reedy: Dave -- It all depends on the player's moods and also establishing a rapport with them. Some talk more than others and some are a lot more guarded.

12:56 [Comment From Ryan Coslett]

Who's been the most pleasant surprise in OTAs?

12:57 Joe Reedy: Scott and Johnson

12:57 [Comment From Chad]

Can you give us an update on Andre Smith, a lot of talk about Rey and MIchael Johnson but not too much about Andre. Does he look like the 6th pick in the draft? Does he look like a difference maker on the line? I know it is hard to tell without pads.

12:59 Joe Reedy: He's fitting into the line and doing a good job of adjusting to right tackle. When the QB is not noticing you, that's a good sign. Williams and Whitworth are helping him and I think he is a little bit ahead of where they thought he would be.

12:59 [Comment From Sean Whitford]

What are the thoughts on Quan Cosby? Will he make this team? Im a huge Longhorn fan so I know this guy can play...ask Ohio State.

1:00 Joe Reedy: He's vying for 52nd or 53rd spot. If he emerges as the man at punt returner, he makes it. If not, he goes to practice squad for this year and hope no one makes a claim on him

1:00 [Comment From rob]

how many running backs do you think the bengals will keep next year?

1:00 Joe Reedy: four -- Benson, Leonard, Dorsey and Scott.

1:01 [Comment From Gdouble]

Joe, do you think the media is jealous and resentful of Chad because they were unable to convince most fans , Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown that Chad is not a cancer?

1:03 Joe Reedy: I don't think so. He's a fun guy to cover but the last couple years he has struggled on the field. He's a guy with a lot of pride who is outspoken.

1:01 [Comment From SH]

Going into 09--where is the weakest link, position-wise, on both Offense and Defense?

1:04 Joe Reedy: Offense -- Tie between RB and OL; Defense -- D-line still concerns me a little

1:03 [Comment From Kevin Indianapolis]

Do you see the Bengals using a lot of 5 receiver sets? I mean with chad, coles, caldwell, henry, and simpson or a TE, how could be we stopped?

1:04 Joe Reedy: Haven't seen much of the five sets this year yet. But they are working on it.

1:04 [Comment From Ron]

With all the starters back and healthy, is Brat on the hotseat to win or be gone moreso that other years?

1:05 Joe Reedy: I would think so with Brat and for that matter a lot of the assistants.

1:04 [Comment From TJ Jackson/Bengalszone]

bernard scott has been the biggest surprise of the OTAs? seriously?

1:06 Joe Reedy: TJ -- I had not seen any film on Bernard Scott. For a sixth-round pick to come in and show the speed he has and the work ethic. Yes, he's surprised me.

1:05 [Comment From Godzilla]

Will Rivers lay the smack on Ward this year?

---------------edit by TJ: the above question was not answered, which did not surprise me, hehe)-----------

1:06 [Comment From downtown]

Will they cut little Palmer this year, or do they keep him to keep his brother happy? Any time Jordan has been on the field he has looked awful.

1:08 Joe Reedy: Downtown -- He's looked decent to me. JT O'Sullivan is still holding on to the ball too long before releasing it.

1:06 [Comment From Joe in Loveland]

Silly to think this far ahead, but next year we need to draft the following in 1-3: #1 CB, #2 RB, #3 OL ... thoughts?

1:08 Joe Reedy: Joe -- It's a long, long way to next year's draft. I'm still trying to figure out the pieces to this year's roster.

1:07 [Comment From rob]

are the bengals lining michael johnson up primarily at outside linebacker or defensive end

1:09 Joe Reedy: Rob -- Johnson at DE

1:07 [Comment From Tim]

If the offense falters early (which I think is likely when you think about the unproven o-line) does the defense have enough to carry this team like the ravens did back in 2000?

1:10 Joe Reedy: Tim -- Probably not. That was the real extreme of offense vs. defense

1:08 [Comment From Joe in Anderson]

Wouldn't you love to see Sam Wyche as offensive coordinator with the talent this team has?

1:10 Joe Reedy: Interesting point on Wyche. My memories of him though are more as HC than OC

1:09 [Comment From Joe in Anderson]

Think Tom Nelson makes the team? If he does will he be anything more than a special teams player?

1:11 Joe Reedy: For Nelson, main priority would be special teams then getting in on defense

1:10 [Comment From rob]

do u think running back james johnson will make the roster?

1:11 Joe Reedy: With James Johnson, probably not. odds are pretty long

1:11 [Comment From JM]

Does Carson look back to be back at 100%? Also how does he fill about the new O line?

1:12 Joe Reedy: He's at 100 percent and likes the direction the line is taking. I think it helps that you have an established leader like Whitworth at LT

1:12 [Comment From Greg - Fishers, IN]

Will Pat Sims have a break out season this year?

1:12 Joe Reedy: If he beats out Tank Johnson for the starting spot at DT, I would think so.

1:12 [Comment From downtown]

If Thornton decided to come back, do you see a spot for him on this team?

1:13 Joe Reedy: If he could play DE and DT, there could be a spot, but I think John is pretty set on the next phase of his life at the moment.

1:14 Cincinnati.com: Thanks again everyone for coming on. Joe, want to add anything?

1:15 Joe Reedy: Thanks for the time guys. We'll do one more before training camp. Plus we are working on getting a chat with Marvin Lewis before training camp too, probably the week of July 20.

1:15 Cincinnati.com: Check out Joe's revamped blog. If you have any questions/comments about it, please email nhurm@enquirer.com. Thanks.

Nice read for the most part.

x2.

O'Sullivan holding on to the ball is worrisome. Hopefully, he isn't a less-mobile Fitz.

Freddie Brown looking good is interesting, but I don't see how me makes the team. The only way would be if Scott or a DB who dresses on gameday can return punts, then maybe Brown can be our new Kevin Walter or Kelly Washington. Chatman will compete, but if you consider Simpson, would the Bengals dress 6 WRs on gameday with two (Henry and Simpson) that don't play on any of the ST units? That considered, if Scott or Caldwell can't return punts, our PR is probably not on the roster yet. Hall is too valuable at CB, especially if you consider our lack of depth at the CB positon and Joseph's injury history.

I still think Scott is the steal of the draft, even at 25. Michael Johnson could end up taking some snaps from Geathers. He played a lot of strong-side DE in college. MJ is automatically the best natural pash-rushing DE we've had since Alfred Williams.

I'm very surprised to hear that White is back and making plays. If Roy doesn't beat our Ndukwe to start, it's a very good chance he doesn't make the team. Roy would be up against Hebert, and Kyties is very valuable to STs, while being able to play either safety spot in a pinch. Since Darrin Simmons has been here, we've kept at least one player that was a ST standout, despite their ability from scrimmage (ala Reggie Myles, Marcus Wilkins, Andre Frazier, etc.). As I've mentioned before, last year, Hebert quietly had one of the 2-3 most productive seasons on ST's in the last 30 years.

Would anybody be surprised to see Pressley beat out both Jeremi Johnsoni and Fui as the starting FB? From most accounts, we're only keeping one. I would give Jeremi the edge, if he's even in decent shape, with one of the other two (or maybe even both with the expanded rosters) going to the PS. The trade for Leonard probably diminished Fui's chances of making the team some, but I've yet to hear any real positives on Leonard so far.

I have to agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with not knowing how Freddie Brown makes this team. Heck we still had two other WR's from last years draft that were sitting on the practice squad. It's a mighty deep WR corps once again with this team and the talent going down the depth chart is there in case of an injury or two. I can't say as I'm upset one little bit...

Unless Brown is a special teams MONSTER, I'd bet the farm he's no where close to making the roster...

I edited the transcript to filter out random comments, and to get the answers to immediately follow the questions - so the chronological order is off, but it's easier to read....

Nice job, Sweetie. I stumbled over the unedited version a couple of days ago and despite the meaty stuff contained I gave up reading about half way through.

Two things jumped out. First, the bit about Andre Smith being consistently ahead of their projections. I assume no further explanation is required. Second, the passing note about how Odom has looked so far after adding 30 lbs. Frankly, we don't say much about Odom around here but I think his performance this season will be critical if the Bengals hope to be a contender.

I edited the transcript to filter out random comments, and to get the answers to immediately follow the questions - so the chronological order is off, but it's easier to read....

Nice job, Sweetie. I stumbled over the unedited version a couple of days ago and despite the meaty stuff contained I gave up reading about half way through.

Two things jumped out. First, the bit about Andre Smith being consistently ahead of their projections. I assume no further explanation is required. Second, the passing note about how Odom has looked so far after adding 30 lbs. Frankly, we don't say much about Odom around here but I think his performance this season will be critical if the Bengals hope to be a contender.

I could not agree more on the Odom statement. I've been very happy to hear he's bulked up AND added back to his speed, which is not an easy combo to achieve. We'll see, obviously, but the reports are reason to at least be cautiously optimistic.

The o-line giving Carson protection as well as getting the running game to respectable have to be the priority for the offense, but on the defensive side of things, having Odom produce at the level they expect him to (sacks) may be the single most important thing for the defense. You can include Geathers in that as well. The pass rush as a whole in other words...

One things that is rarely mentioned is Odom's weight gain. I'm not saying the dreaded "S" word yet, but 30 pounds of muscle since December is noteworthy, especially if he hasn't lost any speed or quickness.

Would anybody be surprised to see Pressley beat out both Jeremi Johnsoni and Fui as the starting FB

I wouldn't mind keeping both Fui & Pressley being that Fui has plenty of experience running the ball....but if I had to keep one I'd go with Pressley being that he seems to be the strongest lead blocker.

but I've yet to hear any real positives on Leonard so far.

Well they have talked that he seems to be stealing Kenny Watsons job & outside injury doesn't seem like watson makes the team this year....

One things that is rarely mentioned is Odom's weight gain. I'm not saying the dreaded "S" word yet, but 30 pounds of muscle since December is noteworthy, especially if he hasn't lost any speed or quickness.

Hey, this is the NFL. So what if he picked up 30 pounds, gained some speed and needs a bigger helmet (Barry Bonds size?) ?

The o-line giving Carson protection has to be the priority for the offense,

A little late for that now. But "we will go to war with what we have." ;)

That said, I like Reedy. Rides both sides of the fence. Non-committal. And always ends whatever he says with an optimistic slant. Sort of the Anti-Daugherty. He'll be popular here. :lol:

It crossed my mind too, but from what I've read Odom isn't claiming he's added 30 pounds of lean muscle. Rather, he's stated he gained 30 pounds of weight, including bulk weight, to better compete against bigger players, to reduce the risk of injury, and to better gain control and hold the edge....ala the departed Justin Smith role.

Frankly, I've got mixed feelings about the weight gain, but I'm in no position to judge how it was accomplished. All I can do is voice my opinion that no defensive player on this teams roster has the potential to transform things to the degree Odom can.