Chad Has Worn Me Out

BZBot

But really, shula has a point, IMO. WR is not all important. It's the offensive system employed by the Bengals that makes them vital. With solid line play on both sides of the ball, a consistent running game, an average QB can manage enough games to get a team to the post season, even having God awful recievers can't prevent that. Just look at the Titans and VY.

We have one of the better QBs playing today. Give him enough support from the running game and O'line and solid, dependable (not game breakers necessarily) receivers (including a friggin TE) and we'd get to the playoffs most years.

Unfotunately we are hamstrung by our offensive mindset. It's all on Carson and the receivers. Even with healthy RBs. Rudi got most of his carries and yards a couple of years back in the second half of games IIRC.

The alternative to that is to have absolutely no passing game, a strong running game and a solid D. See the Jags.

*sigh* We are truly screwed.

JMO.

But really, shula has a point, IMO. WR is not all important. It's the offensive system employed by the Bengals that makes them vital. With solid line play on both sides of the ball, a consistent running game, an average QB can manage enough games to get a team to the post season, even having God awful recievers can't prevent that.

Let me just point out a couple things. One, we don't have solid line play on either side of the ball. Two, we don't have a consistent running game. While we are at it, we don't have a reliable LB corps, or an all-around TE, either.

Yet, we are going to toss a multi-time Pro Bowl WR overboard because we can allegedly easily replace him (Pro Bowl WRs grow on trees? Someone should have told Belichick and Kraft, they could have saved lots of FA dough last year) or, even better, because he isn't that important? Meanwhile, while we are replacing him -- and still looking for a consistent alternative at No. 3 should Henry fail to pay a parking ticket -- what are we doing about that o-line and d-line and TE and RB and LB?

What makes anyone think that a Bengals team that, over the past five years, has not been able to fix the d-line, has not been able to draft well at RB, has not been able to build a top-shelf LB corps, has not been able to find a complete TE, has not been able to keep up with losses on the o-line without using first and second round picks, has not been able to develop depth at WR...is this year going to be able to address all that --- and replace a Pro Bowl wideout to boot?

Bottom line: I agree, pidge: we are truly screwed.

But really, shula has a point, IMO. WR is not all important. It's the offensive system employed by the Bengals that makes them vital. With solid line play on both sides of the ball, a consistent running game, an average QB can manage enough games to get a team to the post season, even having God awful recievers can't prevent that.

Let me just point out a couple things. One, we don't have solid line play on either side of the ball. Two, we don't have a consistent running game. While we are at it, we don't have a reliable LB corps, or an all-around TE, either.

Yet, we are going to toss a multi-time Pro Bowl WR overboard because we can allegedly easily replace him (Pro Bowl WRs grow on trees? Someone should have told Belichick and Kraft, they could have saved lots of FA dough last year) or, even better, because he isn't that important? Meanwhile, while we are replacing him -- and still looking for a consistent alternative at No. 3 should Henry fail to pay a parking ticket -- what are we doing about that o-line and d-line and TE and RB and LB?

What makes anyone think that a Bengals team that, over the past five years, has not been able to fix the d-line, has not been able to draft well at RB, has not been able to build a top-shelf LB corps, has not been able to find a complete TE, has not been able to keep up with losses on the o-line without using first and second round picks, has not been able to develop depth at WR...is this year going to be able to address all that --- and replace a Pro Bowl wideout to boot?

Bottom line: I agree, pidge: we are truly screwed.

Well quite. Keeping fail with some very talented players or completely blow this thing up. Not necessarily player wise but the entire philossophy of the franchise. Not that I want to become one of "those people" that blame cancer and Barry Manilow's career on SoP but with the way the NFL is set up, it's all reward and no risk for him (and a number of other owners) as things stand, no need to change things - at least that how it seems in my more self-pitying moments.

Frustrating.

Still, we could have William Clay Ford or today's Al Davis so it's not completely hopeless.

Drop Chad, get a couple of extra draft picks, and get Manningham on the first day.

Or...keep Chad, and have this all come up again next year.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll take my chances with the unproven commodity over a yearly offseason Ocho Cinco soap opera.

in the blink of an eye we're back to being a s**tty chaotic mess...

True dat. But in fairness to Chad, he's just the icing on the proverbial cake. The defensive front seven, the offensive line and the RB position are all train wrecks. The defensive secondary is in flux, with Deltha, Dexter and Madieu all potential departures. The TE position remains filed under "second banana." Even at wideout, we still got nutin' beyond Chad, TJ and Henry -- and now Chad has gone into malcontent mode, TJ is coming into a contract year and Henry...well, we all know that.

I don't think the team is doomed, but it needs a lot of things to break its way this offseason, and we haven't exactly been the luckiest franchise in the NFL lately.

I'm not worried about it. If Chad sits he doesn't play, therefore no spotlight. The Bengals also don't have to pay him. He's signed through 2011 so he really only has the options of playing or retiring. He is in the wrong sport, with the wrong team, and at the wrong point in his career to play games. The Bengals hold ALL the cards.

I do think the Bengals may try to trade Henry though. Marvin was quite upset about him after he came back and he was not part of the offense. Marvin said he wasn't putting in the time needed to play and hinted he was complaining about his salary. He would be a great candidate to trade to someone like Buffalo for a 4th round pick. He would be worth the gamble for them. He's cheap for another season and it wouldn't cost them much. In return the Bengals get an early 4th round pick and probably a good player. They get rid of a constant headache and inconsistant player and avoid figuring out what to do with him when his contract is up.

I look for the Bengals to draft a defensive linmen in the 1st round and possibly go WR in the 2nd or 3rd. What was our strength is now a mess. Thank God for TJ. The rest of the draft will be defense with possible mid to late round runners on another WR, RB, or project offensive lineman. Those could depend on trading Henry.