Max jeane Gillies 2nd rounder

turningpoint

Would you guys be pissed if the bengals did something like this?

IMO Stienbach is asking for $6million a year or else they would of extended him already...they offered Bobbie Williams 3.8million a year and he took it, obviously stienbach is asking for more, so the bengals offered him at least $4million a season.

IMO we won't pay stienbach $4.5+million a season to play gaurd...and IMO i'd rather us just draft Max jean gillies who IMO will be a better Gaurd then Stienbach.

Just my 2 cents.

It may seem like a wasted 2nd round draft pick, But honestly if we get a CB or S in the 1st round what exactly do you guys really want in the 2nd rd? a DT, We could do another year with a DT and could find better next year. TE? Gimmie the best protecting Carson over a TE anyday.

Also Levi isn't going anywhere we can just Franchise tag his ass for the next 10 years if we have to, since we can still use the trasition tag at the same time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if Marvin drafted an o-lineman that high. Center was a question mark last year and he waited until the 4th round to get Ghiaciuc. I think he'll go for a CB and a TE first. Maybe a S or a DT too.

Unless the guys he wants aren't there and a G or T is there.

Isn't Levi going to be more expensive, too? If you can't keep 'em both, sign Steinbach and draft a T.

I'd be surprised if Marvin drafted an o-lineman that high. Center was a question mark last year and he waited until the 4th round to get Ghiaciuc. I think he'll go for a CB and a TE first. Maybe a S or a DT too.

Isn't Levi going to be more expensive, too? If you can't keep 'em both, sign Steinbach and draft a T.

That would be crazy to let Levi go, he's the best young LT in the NFL, paying him $7-8million a season would almost be cheap.

Franchise LT are almost impossible to come across especially one as good as Levi.

Gaurds can be found.....hell IDK maybe kieft will turn out to be the guy.

Levi is worth hella moneybecause he'll the top left tackle in a year or 2 Steinbach is a guard me thinks he wants hutison deal but he should know hes not gonna get one

I know Levi is great, but he'll be very expensive to re-sign. I'm too cynical to think Mike Brown won't let him go for that reason alone. Heck, the whole thread is based on the premise that they'll let Steinbach walk for financial reasons. If Steinbach's too expensive to keep, how can we really expect to keep Levi?

Wilkerson may be the solution to losing Steinbach. He only signed a 2 year deal, but I think the Bengals get exclusive rights in year 3. You don't become a RFA until after 3 years. And his time on IR might stretch that time out, too.

I know Levi is great, but he'll be very expensive to re-sign. I'm too cynical to think Mike Brown won't let him go for that reason alone. Heck, the whole thread is based on the premise that they'll let Steinbach walk for financial reasons. If Steinbach's too expensive to keep, how can we really expect to keep Levi?

Wilkerson may be the solution to losing Steinbach. He only signed a 2 year deal, but I think the Bengals get exclusive rights in year 3. You don't become a RFA until after 3 years. And his time on IR might stretch that time out, too.

Levi is one of the best Tackles in the game and still young. That is one of the most impotant positions in the game. Levi gets paid, and a lot. If they let him go I'd be pissed. It's a lot harder masking a LT than a G. Yet I think they sign them both. There is plenty of cap, and the front loading of cap money points to the Bengals signing the whole line outside of Center. Williams just happened to be the easiest.

Marvin makes a point of taking care of his own before picking up free agents. My guess is he takes care of both Steinbach and Levi one way or the other. Maybe if we were to drop a player or two (Thorton and/or Simmons) we can sqeeze them both in this year.

lol o the irony in this post....drop his OWN to take care of his own.

Max Jean would be great.

Don't assume that would mean Steinbach leaving.MJ at LG,and Steinbach moves to RT.Bye bye big Willie.

If big willie doesn't reitre a bengal something is wrong.

Probably.

But the Bengals have an excellent line,and if you've been watching FA,they're commanding a premium.The Bengals may not be able to afford them all,and if push comes to shove,you keep the talented youth over the aging vet.

Having stated that,I hope big Willie retires a Bengal.

We do not need to spend a first day pick on the OHogs. Im sorry but a guard is not worth 4.5 mill/year. Steiny is good, real good. But not worth that much cash. Levi and Willie are more important and worth more. Having said that I want ALL of them extended. If we cant do that we have quality backups that can pick up at the guard position.

:bengal:

Steinabch is a very important piece of the offensive line, and I do want him back - badly. THose who label him as a guard had best beware...he is backup at center and at tackle, which came into play last year if you review the taps. His versatility makes him very nearly as valuable as Levi, frankly

That said, in the era of the salary cap, there is no - "at any price" anymore. If Chad's price went too high, I'd (very very) sadly wave goodbye to him as well.

So...make him an offer. A larger one than Bobbie's. Not much larger, but larger. Particularly in the guarenteed money. As he is younger than Bobbie, make it for a longer term.

If it comes down to the end of the season and both are unsigned....sadly, Levi is the higher priority, as he protects Carson from the top pass rushers. Levi gets the tag, and Steinbach will probably be a loss.

On that basis alone, since Levi will get tagged, I'd say you want to work on Steinbach's contract next.

we will sign levi if he will agree to sign for at least 7 years. signing a player to a deal like that makes them expensive now but cheap towards the end due to the cap raising. i want Willie and Steinbach as much as all of us but we can't break the bank. We can get a guard in the first round next year that could step in and start even if we picked at the bottom of the round. Signing Levi is a must though.

For the record, Steinbach and Levi will earn $1.255 million this year. Combined. Signing them long-term would probably cost at least $9 million a year. Putting the transitional or franchise tag on Levi would probably cost $7-8 million for a 1-year deal.

Where is this money going to come from?

I'd find out what top 5 guards(not tackles :P guards are payed and offer that too eric which shoulden't be too bad sense hutch is the only $$$$ arse

Nope. From NFL.com:

But all offensive linemen have one tag price, which is a hefty $6.9 million -- which is okay when you are protecting a premier tackle, but when it is your guard or center, it is close to $2 million too high for what they would get paid if the tag was split.

Essentially this means you can tag either Steinbach or Levi for the same amount. If you figure Levi gets tagged for $6.9 million (using 2006 numbers) and you pay Steinbach $3.5 million, not counting signing bonuses, then you're up to $10.5 million. Also keep in mind that the tag only gets you a 1-year deal. If Levi doesn't sign a long-term deal, he's a free agent after that year or gets tagged again for a 20% raise ($8.28 million).