TJ's Bengals-only mock v1

TJJackson

Please keep in mind that this is my "initial" read, having not even looked at OLs, LBs, or WRs much yet. I'll probably build a second "track" later where I take a defensive player in 1 and pick up the TE in later rounds.

I am of the opinion that Marvin wants to fill needs rather than just take BPA, but if the BPA is much higher rated on his board over the best "need" player, he will go with the BPA.

I also think he values all attributes one looks for in great players, but the following are at a premium: athleticism, speed, character, work ethic; and to a somewhat lesser extent versatility. Finally, an absolute necessity: durablility. A player on IR consumes money and is a waste of practice snaps, no matter how dominating he is when healthy. He (and I) will not mind "reaching" for a player when it is clear that player might indeed go one round later, but prior to the next Bengals pick.

That said, here's what I have so far, and this will probably change a lot as we learn more from the combine and pro workouts. I did not select a DT early because I found troubling issues with each of the top rated ones, and think the Bengals will be better off finding an experienced DT in FA.

Round 1

-------------

TE Vernon Davis 6'3 253 4.49 Marylnd - Freakish athlete, decent blocker, great receiver, versatile

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.p...=Vernon%20Davis

Round 2

-------------

S Pat Watkins 6'4 204 4.50 Fla Sta - Great Athleticism/size/hands, good speed, smart, leader

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.p...y=Pat%20Watkins

Round 3

-------------

DE Victor Adeyanju 6'6 275 4.61 Indiana - Leader, top intangibles, athletic, great size/speed ratio

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.p...ctor%20Adeyanju

Round 4

-------------

S Will Blackmon 6'0 202 4.52 Bostn C - Good size, athletic, supports run, team player, top KR/PR

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showprospect...Will%20Blackmon

I would probably grouse a bit over the Bengals' again not even trying for an impact DT...but not much. You may be being a bit overoptomistic on Adeyanju being there in the 3rd, tho. (And Davis in the first, he seems to be emerging as the No. 1 TE prospect, at least for now.)

Good Mock. I would rather go Defense round 1, with Ko Simpson or Darnell Bing, but TE could be a very good posibility. I don't think Vernon Davis fits into our offense as much as Mercedes or Pope does, but hey I would take him. In Round 2, if Donte Whitner is there, I would rather take him. But I would be satisfied with Pat Watkins, he is a great player. As I said, good Mock

Davis is a great player, and a physical freak, no doubt about that. However, he is not a very good fit. We need a bigger, balanced TE who can block well and provide a threat in the redzone. Leonard Pope seems to be the #1 fit. Marcedes Lewis who recently showed he was a balanced TE, also fits and would be a great find in the 2nd, but likely won't fall that far. Tim Day may be the most balanced TE and would be a good fit, he may be there in the 3rd.

Pat Watkins is a reach in the 2nd. We may be able to get him in the 3rd. He is a little too skinny and a bit inconsitent. Still he has good potential and could be targetted in the 3rd.

Pretty good though. Grade: B

Thanks for the responses.

Re: Reach for Watkins. As I said in the opening post, I am not afraid (nor is Marvin) of reaching a bit for a player that is a good fit if the liklihood of him lasting to the next pick is minimal. Watkins is imho just such a player.

Re Vernon Davis: no doubt there is a good chance he'll go earlier, same as Pollack might have gone in the top 5, based on what we heard in the months following last year's draft. I think (and hope) he will slip because of concerns over his size. To those worried about his blocking, I think if you do some more research you'll discover that he is underrated as a blocker, and that in addition to being freakishly fast and athletic, he is also as strong as the typical offensive lineman. I should add here that many posters here feel TE (or offense overall) is not a need here, but my response is that when either Chad or TJ have been out of the game, or offense has sufferred mightily. I feel you can't have enough weapons, because you never know where or when the next injury might happen, and if you can strongly upgrade a position with one pick, you should do so. Vernon Davis would be just that - and he potentially replaces a fullback as well, please take a look at his versatility. I am however looking long and hard at the other TEs, albeit not necessarily at 24.

Also, I haven't found much support for Pope as a blocker, only as a possession style receiving TE. Anyone care to point me in the direction of some info on Pope as a good blocker?

Re: Adeyanju. I like this guy a lot, but many draft scouts have this guy rated a lot lower (4-6th) on lack of experience, production, or both. I think he's worth a late 3, though, which is what we have.

Re: lack of a DT I too would like to see a DT taken high, but then I run into the following 1) there are a number of proven DTs, second tier guys who would instantly upgrade the position without commanding huge FA dollars, out there right now. 2) Each of the top 10 DTs in the draft has some serious questions, and will probably not provide an impact in 2006 anyway 3) Shawn Smith really came on at the end of 2005. 4) Try as I might, I cannot ignore the very brief but suprisingly good quality performances of Askew (gasp!) and Fanene. There's part of me that wants Askew gone, but then he provided that hint of quality. It's a problem, but at least it's a good problem. 4) in sum, I think our immediate DT issue is best resolved by bringing in a solidly good run stopping DT in FA, and between Askew and Shawn Smith I think we'll have one more good DT, and then JT or BR (one will be released to free the spot and salary for the FA DT) will be capable in backup duty. Failing that, a rotation of all 4 to keep them fresh and maximally effective might work.

All that said, if we had to take a DT at 24, I'd probably prefer Gabe Watson at this point on the strength of his senior bowl showing. Pat Kirwan's thoughts on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9191903) basically summarize my own thinking here: "Watson came to Mobile with a reputation as an underachiever and a guy with a "boom or bust" label. That label still exists, but his effort and performance in the live drills early in the week flashed the top end of what he could be at the pro level. It will be crucial for him in the interview process to convince teams that money, fame and all the other distractions of pro football aren't going to have him slip back into his old habits. Big men who can be disruptive inside on the defensive line are very hard to find, and although the yellow caution flag is out on Watson, the motor was running in Mobile."

Re: Ko Simpson. I have concerns over his speed, age, and lack of experience, as well as the fact that the experience he does have came against lesser competition. I'm not saying he isn't capable of becoming a great player, not at all, but to me he's too risky to take in r1. In the unlikely (some would say impossible) even that he sticks around to our R2 pick and we didn't take a S in R1, he'd be an excellent value pick (you might say steal?) at that point, imho

I think Kiwi immediately makes our end rotation much better....agree about his poor senior bowl. big whoop. he or Hali would do well for us.

Watkins is a puzzle. Sometimes he steps up and make the hit, sometimes he shies...won;t work in the NFL unless your name begins with Deion and ends with Sanders. I wish he was more physical.

Davis will go by 12...too much need up there and he is, IMHO, the best TE in the draft. I WISH he would fall, as he would make this O very very scary with him in stripes. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

I'd be happy with any of the top DT's except Wroten...no additional bagage needed coming to PBS....He'd be our "Chong" to henry's "Cheech"... Here, as we see at CB, the fall-off from the top DT"s to the R3/4 guys is not dramatic. I think a guy like Babatunde Oshinowo, DT, Stanford or Anthony Montgomery, DT, Minnesota could come in and compete to start.

I think Ko may slip out of r1 from his combine impression in addition to the issues you mention.

*shrug* someone always slips

If I went through this board and enumerated all the players that someone says will not make it to pick 24, I will bet big money that the number of players on that list exceeds 24....said another way, someone will fall further than expected. Sometimes more than 1. They always do.

and it's a good bet that one of those still remaining is a likely starter for the Bengals at TE or somewhere on the defensive side of the ball.