Newbies Bengal Mock Draft.

WretchedOne

Don't take this seriously, I'm just having fun. Feedback would be appreciated though.

Offseason Player Moves:

1. Move M. Williams to CB. He was originally drafted as a CB. Tory needs to be replaced. Williams will save us from breaking the bank on a FA CB. As well as save us from having to draft and develop a rookie CB to start right away. With a full offseason to practice at the position Williams won't lose a step. I believe that a rookie Saftey can contribute more than a rookie CB.

2. Tab Perry to saftey, he's good enough to COMPETE for a starting job. Our secondary coaches are above average and if Tab dedicated his time, his could be ready by August. Let him play a lot in pre-season.

Trade:

1. Trade to the Lions - Tory James for Dan Wilkinson. We get that 320+ DT a lot of us want and we dont have to draft one early. Wilkinson can instantly start and will instantly improve our D -line. Wilkinson wants to atone for his sins (while being on a SB contending team, of course) and loves Marvin as well.

2006 Draft:

I do my mocks from a "Marvin Lewis" perspective. Who would Marvin/Bengals pick? I don't fall for that media "hype" bulls**t of us needing a TE or a DT in the first, a Saftey is concern #1. Marvin is known for "reaching" and "surprising", I try to do my mock just like that.

Round 1: Ko Simpson - FS - South Carolina. 6-1 201.

rt525aa5.jpg

All around solid player. Tackles well, covers well and supports the run well. Very M. Williams like but with more athleticism. ML like this type of player more than a Bing type player who's pass defense is very questionalbe, not good for someone asked to switch between FS and SS regularly.

Round 2: Eric Henderson - DE - Georgia Tech. 6-3 265.

ericHenderson_ACC.jpg

Is a very intelligent player who has received academic accolades throughout college. Is a BEAST against the run, one of the Bengals weak spots. Very thick and strong, has amazing hand and footwork. Is able to shed blockers quickly,extemely hard worker. 59.5 TFL, 25 sacks, 176 Careeer Tackles, 7 FFs and 8 PDs. Justin Smith is not coming back after 06, this is his replacement. Good pass rush potential.

Round 3: Gerrick McPhearson - CB - Maryland. 5-10 194.

1-lg.jpg

You'd say he's short, not so short with a 42 inch vertical jump. 6.73 in 60 meter dash, 4.21 - 40. 365 Bench and 515 squat. Instantly upgrades depth at CB and a potential down the road starter with work. Father played DB for the N.E. Patriots.

Round 4: Anthony Montgomery - DT - Minnesota. 6-5 315.

Montgomery%20Anthony%20058.jpg

This picture shows what happens when AM is blocked 1 on 1.

Most underrated DT in the draft. Big, strong and VERY athletic and versitle. Has played DE, TE, DB, QB, LB, and DT throughout football career. Has played basketball and baseball. 2 gap monster who NEEDS to be double teamed. Many college offenses had to game plan around AM, he makes that big of an impact during the game. Imagine having a DT..ON OUR TEAM, that offense had to gameplan around.

Round 5: Erik Gill - TE - Pittsburgh 6-5 275.

1205pittgill-b.jpg

He won't have to gain weight to take on NFL players, He's huge already. He's the kind of TE we NEED, not the kind many want. Very "Heath Miller" like, in that he'll just run you over. Does have some speed, caught an 80 yard TD pass in game vs. S. Florida. Run blocking skills are not a question, AT ALL. Very mean TE who will be perfect for us by snagging 30-40 balls a season.

Round 6: Mike Epsy - WR/PR - Mississippi. 6-0 195.

22145_256.jpg

Marvin is always looking at WRs and he takes another on in this draft. He won't be high on the depth chart but will provide an instant upgrade over Ratliff in Punt Return. Espy is a N & S runner (NO DANCING RATLIFF!) who is very physical and not afraid to take the hit.

Round 7: Domata Peko - DT - Michigan State. 6-2 320.

domata_peko.jpg

LOOK AT THAT HAIR!!!!! TROY P. OF THE D-LINE!!!!

The Anti-Askew. He is from the same College as Mathias but is the complete opposite as a player. Might be the most intense player in the whole draft. Has an unstoppalbe motor, he never quits no matter what the score is and he is always hustling. He could be a PS player OR could be dressing on gameday, biggest upside of any DT in the draft. Get Peko to rub off on Askew and motivate him.

FA pick-ups:

QB & Saftey

Moving Madieu to corner just possibly seals up one spot, but opening another hole. Madieu is our FS, peroid.

Why Tab at safety? Why not Kiewan Ratliff, or the above mentioned Tory James. I think those are more intelligent options.

Isn't Big daddy an FA? If not, I thought they said that he would probably be released when we played Detroit. Don't have to trade for a guy we might be able to solely negoiate with anyways.

What?

Mongomery is a VERY late round pick at best and has been up and down his enitre career. The knock on him is that against top competition he disappears.

Eric Henderson is huge stretch into the 3rd round, let alone the 2nd.

DT will be a 1st/2nd round pick and DE is not a huge need, although I believe that we will draft one in the 5th or 6th round.

When Williams was drafted he was listed as a CB...go check it out on NFL.com

Thraser - You need to do some homework on Montgomery. He's actually probably the best DT in this draft.

See, AM gets double teamed - A LOT, he's a space eater and thats his job. AM has put up 40+ TT seasons all three years as a starter, all while being double teamed. He's actually shown the MOST consistancy of any DT in this draft.

All other DTs TT numbers are all over the place season to season, not AMs, he's held nice and steady for 3 years.

You should check out what a lot of OSU guys said about AM, talking about how they had to account for AM on EVERY play. How they didn't take chances even running the ball towards AM. How Mangold and the OG had to double team him most of the game.

AM is a DT that you have to gameplan around, we need that kind of DT on this team. AM also plays A TON of minutes, he'll play almost every defensive snap of a game. He's got stamina...unlike Gate Watson

He's 6-5 315. He's as strong as an ox. He's extremely athletic and versitle...just like Marvin likes. He's played basketball and baseball as well as played the DE, DT, TE, QB, LB, AND DB positions in football.

You mistake "disappearing" for "being double teamed the whole game"

You need to read this:

http://www.thefootballgenius.com/draft/tfg...Montgomery.html

Eric Henderson is run stopping DE, and we have/had A LOT of problems with RBs taking it outside on us. Henderson is solution for that problem. He's got amazing hands to shed blocks, he's extremely intelligent, and he's just a thick, burly, strong dude to have along the D-line. He may not get a lot of sacks, but he'll create A LOT of pressure and hopefully those turn into INTS.

Also don't forget Justin Smith is a FA after 06. Better get his replacement while there is a ton of talent at hand. Henderson is perfect guy to replace him. Henderson is not a rouge while Smith tends to play his own game sometimes and not stay in his gap. Justin Smith will not be on this team in 07.

I also disagree that DT is a 1st/2nd round need for us. We still have Shaun Smith, Mathias Askew, JT, and BR, so we're not deathly in need, like we are at saftey. Our DT problems can be solved with one good FA pickup and some DTs on day 2...AM, Domato Peko, Johnny Jolly, Barry Cofield, Gerald Anderson. You get one good FA, then that FA and Shaun Smith are starters...problem solved, you've still got some depth at the position as well with Askew, JT, BR, and 2 more late round draft picks.

And thanks to those who like my mocks, I really like screwing around with all the possibilities and I like to post mocks. I got ripped for this exact same mock on another board. I'll keep posting more if you like them.

When Williams was drafted he was listed as a CB...go check it out on NFL.com

Maryland Media Guide for Madieu Williams:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/school...002mg-89-94.pdf

That's funny, NFL.com MUST be right. Maryland Media guide lists him as a Free Safety. Marv drafted him and the Bengals roster lists him as a 'S' that must be a misspelling for Cornerback.

Hm.

Since Marv has his own ideas about where people play, I would tend to trust my eyes, oh, and what marv says. Pollack was drafted as a DE, according to NFL.com too.

Thraser - You need to do some homework on Montgomery. He's actually probably the best DT in this draft.

See, AM gets double teamed - A LOT, he's a space eater and thats his job. AM has put up 40+ TT seasons all three years as a starter, all while being double teamed. He's actually shown the MOST consistancy of any DT in this draft.

BTW, it is TASHER...

I went to IU, I am quite familiar with Mr. Montgomery. And, yes he gets double teamed by schools that their OL is undersized, cause they HAVE to. Granted the B10 portion on the sched is pretty stellar but the rest is suspect, Minny's sched:

Tulsa

Colorado State

Florida Atlantic

Purdue scored 35

Penn State scored 44

Michigan

Wisconsin scored 38

Ohio State scored 45

Indiana

Michigan State

Iowa scored 52

Virginia scored 34

but now, that defense with the BEST DT in the COUNTRY just gave up in excess of 35 points in every B10 tilt.

Hm. Okay, so EVERYBODY double teams him. Well, I would too, if that is the only guy that can hurt me. Only problem is that OTHER DTs get DOUBLE TEAMED TOO! AND, they SHED the blockers and still cause HAVOC!

If this is the BEST DT in the COUNTRY, EVERYBODY would be salivating over him right now. Now, I am not saying that he is not good. He is most certainly under-rated, I agree. But not 2nd or 1st round underrated based on his performance. Now had he gone to Miami, UM, Ohio St would the case be different? I don't know. But look a Ngata, Oregon sure does not get much better pub than Minny, so how does Ngata show up as the best? Just wondering...

All other DTs TT numbers are all over the place season to season, not AMs, he's held nice and steady for 3 years.

You should check out what a lot of OSU guys said about AM, talking about how they had to account for AM on EVERY play. How they didn't take chances even running the ball towards AM. How Mangold and the OG had to double team him most of the game.

AM is a DT that you have to gameplan around, we need that kind of DT on this team. AM also plays A TON of minutes, he'll play almost every defensive snap of a game. He's got stamina...unlike Gate Watson

He's 6-5 315. He's as strong as an ox. He's extremely athletic and versitle...just like Marvin likes. He's played basketball and baseball as well as played the DE, DT, TE, QB, LB, AND DB positions in football.

You mistake "disappearing" for "being double teamed the whole game"

I don't mistake it, I simply state what I see...

... or DON'T see.

I don't particularly like Watson, especially for his effort (or lack thereof), I do like Monty, but not before the 5th in all probability.

Read it, don't agree, and as the analysis is all over the place, I will reserve my right to do so. As an illustration, Mike Mayock and Pat Kirwan were each stating different opinions of wathcing the exact same practice and tape at the Senior Bowl. Kirwan was making the case that Cutler is the BEST QB in the draft. Mayock did not agree. Gee, these are some of the best minds in the whole analysis business, and they can't agree?

Hm...

we all know that DJ Shockley is the very best QB in the draft, but I digress.

Eric Henderson is run stopping DE, and we have/had A LOT of problems with RBs taking it outside on us. Henderson is solution for that problem. He's got amazing hands to shed blocks, he's extremely intelligent, and he's just a thick, burly, strong dude to have along the D-line. He may not get a lot of sacks, but he'll create A LOT of pressure and hopefully those turn into INTS.

Problem with all the RBs going to the edge is called contain and proper assignements and fits. NFL Playbook broke down a nice segment on the Bengals when Parker scored in Cincy showing how Thurman especially missed his assignment and gap which got the rest of the defense out of position and allowed Parker to score. Not the fault of the DE, who did his job. But I digress further...

Also don't forget Justin Smith is a FA after 06. Better get his replacement while there is a ton of talent at hand. Henderson is perfect guy to replace him. Henderson is not a rouge while Smith tends to play his own game sometimes and not stay in his gap. Justin Smith will not be on this team in 07.

I also disagree that DT is a 1st/2nd round need for us. We still have Shaun Smith, Mathias Askew, JT, and BR, so we're not deathly in need, like we are at saftey. Our DT problems can be solved with one good FA pickup and some DTs on day 2...AM, Domato Peko, Johnny Jolly, Barry Cofield, Gerald Anderson. You get one good FA, then that FA and Shaun Smith are starters...problem solved, you've still got some depth at the position as well with Askew, JT, BR, and 2 more late round draft picks.

I agree that we are going after a DE in this draft, just not in the 1st or 2nd round.

You may very well be correct that Smith and Askew are the answers at DT for us. that is the subject of some VERY hot debate on this board. Marv may surprise us all with his knowledge and understanding of player development and motivation. Reports have it that Askew is Very Very angry, hot, irrate at his playing situation last year. so maybe Marv has lit it under his butt so to speak. We could also sign an FA whcih would change the whole complexity of our needs and the draft.

And thanks to those who like my mocks, I really like screwing around with all the possibilities and I like to post mocks. I got ripped for this exact same mock on another board. I'll keep posting more if you like them.

Seems to me that you posted this on an open forum. You might want to check the definition of the word forum.

My reply was not a rip. It was simply a reply that disagreed with your point of view. Neither did my comments question your competence, research, or attack you in any manner. I think I simply said that Monty is a reach that early and we have more pressing needs to fill in contrast to how you project the draft.

You even state in your post that you want feedback. Is that ONLY IN THE CASE THAT THE FEEDBACK IS POSITIVE?

You are on the wrong board, if so.

That is all.

I didn't mean to start any "beef", just normal human disagreement. We're both entitled to our opinions.

My feeling on AM is that he didn't have help from other players around him, The overall Gopher D is horrible, but you can have a good player on a horrible team.

Ngata had other good players around him. Ngata is good, but having other good players on your team also helps your stock. Had the Oregan D sucked but Ngata was still good, he would most likely not be as highly touted as he is.

Same with Watson, Same with Bunkley, They've all had talent around them and that makes them look better. They're good, but the talent around them elevates them even more.

Same thing with bad players, if you're playing with bad players but you're halfway decent, those bad players are going to drag you and your stock down.

Yeah, you can do your specific job and be good at it, but if the other 10 players can't do their specific job, you're gonna look like crap.

You put AM on a "Big School" football team and he's a 1st rounder. Easily.

I don't believe I said anything about wanting only "positive" responses. I said that I had posted that same mock on another MB and got ripped, rather intersting considering those who looked at it here liked it for the most part. That was my point.

I encourage disagreement, you learn more that way. I just don't want to get into some childish disagreement over somethig idiotic. We can have a disagreement about AM but as long no one acts like an ignorant idiot then I'm cool.