Official "Pimp Your Favorite Player"

I like to see:

Round 1 -- Either Vernon Davis TE or Ko Simpson S (hoping one of them is still available when we pick)

Round 2 -- Darnell Bing S (or Donte Whitner) or Max Jean-Gilles OG -- can't guess about the big slides

Round 3 -- John Jolly DT

This assumes that each is the best "player available" at the time of the Bengals draft.

Yo! I would like Johnny Jolly, but not that early.... He'll be there later on.

You may be right :sure:

I used the "Great Blue North" list of top 200 players and John Jolly was the one I liked best in the third round -- and I liked him on tape.

Either way, by the time you get to the third round, who knows who will be there -- it was just a WAG. :D

It's all WAGs :lol: Except if IIRC there Pap you had Pollack in the 1st from early on and you hit that nail on the head :cheers:

It'll be interesting to see where Vernon Davis winds up in this draft. He's not the giant that Pope and Lewis are, nor is he the kind of weight teams would look for in a TE to run block consistently. But he's a freak of a receiver with straighline speed, great hands, and quick in routes. Plus he's strong as an ox for his size. I think he's a Top 10 pick because he's one of those types of offensive threats who can reel of big chunks of yards whenever he catches the ball. The only question mark I see is whether he can block effectively enough in the run game to stay in all downs and keep teams exposed when he does run routes. If he fell to 24, I'd be all for the Bengals taking him.

I got a good dose of Jolly watching the Shrine Game. I can see why teams will like him because he does penetrate well with some good quickness for his size and does look able to decently shed blocks. But on the whole, I'm more partial to a DT for the Bengals who's going to relentlessly bullrush on the pass and be steadfast in the gap on run D at the left DT spot. I liked what I saw of Jolly to a degree but would hope the Bengals lay off of him unless he falls to the 5th. And even then I liked Steve Fifita and LeKevin Smith somewhat more at that spot for what it looked like they can bring to a rotation with Shaun Smith.

Yes -- I liked Pollack early on, because of his playmaking ability. I am proudest that my desire to get two of the three Georgia players came true.

I like Vernon Davis' competitiveness -- and if I were picking he would be gone by 24. I hope he slips to us at 24.

If Davis doesn't slide to us, I would be very happy to have Ko Simpson -- he can and does make plays - my main criteria for a 1st round selection.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disputing KO makes plays, Pap. My only beef is that he's a free safety, and I have a hard time rolling with that in the 1st. I liked Thomas Davis last year when the wash came out but not just for a strong safety.

2 players that are getting at me again are Claude Wroten now that he's had his drug charges dropped and Thomas Howard from UTEP. I still like Demetrius Williams a lot at WR, but I just heard Mike Mayock on the NFLN say he had Williams at #2 behind Santonio Holmes even though most teams didn't. If the Bengals got a legit shot at Williams in the 2nd, I'd be inclined to put a defensive player on my list in the 1st and either Wroten or Howard might fit well.

No disputing KO makes plays, Pap. My only beef is that he's a free safety, and I have a hard time rolling with that in the 1st. I liked Thomas Davis last year when the wash came out but not just for a strong safety.

2 players that are getting at me again are Claude Wroten now that he's had his drug charges dropped and Thomas Howard from UTEP. I still like Demetrius Williams a lot at WR, but I just heard Mike Mayock on the NFLN say he had Williams at #2 behind Santonio Holmes even though most teams didn't. If the Bengals got a legit shot at Williams in the 2nd, I'd be inclined to put a defensive player on my list in the 1st and either Wroten or Howard might fit well.

I hear your concern about Ko Simpson being more of a FS. But, I not convinced that Marvin sees much difference between FS and SS.

I base my selection of Ko (and other SSs) on the players they have put into SS, so far. None have been small LBs -- they are more FS-like. Ko has the size and speed -- and something we don't have now -- play making on the ball AND TACKLING.

I like Wroten's play -- but believe the Bengals will shy away from him until later rounds (even though the charges were dropped).

IMO Thomas Howard is a good athlete, but does not seem to have good ball awareness or make plays like I would expect for his ability. I've watched and he seems lost at times.

Here's the my old argument -- I believe the Bengals will take the best PLAYER, not the best athlete. :D

I'm using the draft discussion to take my mind off my fear that Carson may not make it back to his old form. :(

Thanks for your feedback :sure::cheers:

I like Howard. I think he'd be a reach at 24 and we are pretty solid in talent and depth at LB...no sense tying up r1 money on a guy who might not make an impact.

Wroten (pronounced "rotten") will probably get grabbed late r1 early r2...from the DT pool, I like Watson (size) or Orien Harris better if we took a DT @ 24.

I hear your concern about Ko Simpson being more of a FS. But, I not convinced that Marvin sees much difference between FS and SS.

I base my selection of Ko (and other SSs) on the players they have put into SS, so far. None have been small LBs -- they are more FS-like. Ko has the size and speed -- and something we don't have now -- play making on the ball AND TACKLING.

This more than anything makes the strongest case for the Bengals to draft KO in round 1. There's no reason to think that Marvin has changed his mind about interchangeable safeties, even though the larger SS type in Ohalete played in an emergency situation. KO would start and contribute right away.

But there are also 4 other players with similar skills who I think the Bengals should at least take long looks at before pulling the trigger on KO or any safety in the 1st round.

2nd rounders: Donte Whitner and Daniel Bullocks. Whitner should add the dimension of nickel back because his short area quickness is tremendous. You can plug in all the good things you had to say about KO and just change the name to "Bullocks" -- same style player and athlete whose challenge going into the combine is whether he can vie with KO over who gets picked first.

3rd rounders: Dwayne Slay. There's one immediate drop off -- speed. Slay would be less interchangeable but still has shown decent FS coverage skill deep. Coming to the ball at the point of attack, he's an assassin. The other is Pat Watkins, who has made a strong case that he should be drafted in the 2nd. Probably not the ballhawking skills of the KO, Bullocks, or Whitner order, but he's an interchangeable safety whose frame can be built out to really make him a force coming into the box.

This more than anything makes the strongest case for the Bengals to draft KO in round 1. There's no reason to think that Marvin has changed his mind about interchangeable safeties, even though the larger SS type in Ohalete played in an emergency situation. KO would start and contribute right away.

But there are also 4 other players with similar skills who I think the Bengals should at least take long looks at before pulling the trigger on KO or any safety in the 1st round.

2nd rounders: Donte Whitner and Daniel Bullocks. Whitner should add the dimension of nickel back because his short area quickness is tremendous. You can plug in all the good things you had to say about KO and just change the name to "Bullocks" -- same style player and athlete whose challenge going into the combine is whether he can vie with KO over who gets picked first.

3rd rounders: Dwayne Slay. There's one immediate drop off -- speed. Slay would be less interchangeable but still has shown decent FS coverage skill deep. Coming to the ball at the point of attack, he's an assassin. The other is Pat Watkins, who has made a strong case that he should be drafted in the 2nd. Probably not the ballhawking skills of the KO, Bullocks, or Whitner order, but he's an interchangeable safety whose frame can be built out to really make him a force coming into the box.

I, too, like Whitner and Bullock and would be happy to have either one in the second round (especially if we got Vernon Davis in the first) B):D

What round do you see Pat Watkins, Jason Allen (injury?) and Darnell Bing going?

Each has something to offer and some limitations.

What round do you see Pat Watkins, Jason Allen (injury?) and Darnell Bing going?

Each has something to offer and some limitations.

There's going to be a run on safeties in the draft and who goes where will boil down to the most pressing team needs and free agency acquisitions.

The Falcons and Dolphins look like they have the greatest need at safety at both positions. The Titans, Rams, Ravens, and Vikes will prioritize SS and the Cardinals, Cowboys, and Steelers will look at FS. Other teams like the Bills, Raiders, Broncos, Saints and Seahawks will be looking to upgrade or backup with youth. Of course the Bengals are in this mix too.

The main free agents are Lance Schulters, Tank Williams, Adam Archuleta, Chris Hope, Marlon McCree, and Corey Chavous and they will fill the needs of some of those teams.

Much of the rest will come from the draft. I'd say Bing goes in the 2nd and Watkins in the 3rd. I'm not sure if Jason Allen will participate in the combine but from what I remember he had a serious hip injury of the type that Bo Jackson and Roosevelt Colvin had and that could drop him into the 4th, especially with the talent available at safety and the lesser likelihood that Allen can hang at corner in the NFL.

Marvin has gone on record saying that he does not like to draft for need. If Bobby Carpenter is still there, he will be our man.

Pollack + Thurman + Carpenter = Super Bowl!

I could see us trading down to the bottom of round one and grabbing Carpenter later, but I doubt Marvin would take him at 24. Then again, all these prognostications change by the minute, so what would I know?

Marvin has gone on record saying that he does not like to draft for need. If Bobby Carpenter is still there, he will be our man.

Pollack + Thurman + Carpenter = Super Bowl!

I could see us trading down to the bottom of round one and grabbing Carpenter later, but I doubt Marvin would take him at 24. Then again, all these prognostications change by the minute, so what would I know?

Personally, I would be surprised if he made it past New England at no. 21. Their linebackers are all getting up there in age and you know they love players in Carpenter's mold. I would even consider swapping picks with KC in exchange for a 2nd day pick. AJ Hawk is projected as a top 5 pick and to be honest, I am not 100% sure that Carpenter will not be as good or better than AJ in the pros. IMO the draft 'experts' think that the ankle will be a concern to teams, but somebody is going to nab him earlier than predicted.

Manny Lawson out of NC State is also someone I like alot. 6'6, 245lb DE as a pass rusher and plays special teams. Here's some info I found on him:

Manny Lawson DE 6’6 245 North Carolina St.

Manny Lawson is one of the truly elite athletes in college football. Not only has he found time to play both end and linebacker, he’s also a track standout having competed in the long jump and hurdles during his time at NC St. As a linebacker in 2002, Lawson had 35 tackles, with one of them coming for loss. As a part time starter in 2003, he improved on all his numbers. He totaled 53 tackles, seven for loss, with three sacks. Lawson made the switch to DE in 2004, and became a full time starter for the first time in his career. On the year, he finished with 50 tackles, 12 for loss, and seven sacks.

Lawson is an absolute freak of an athlete. He has excellent agility, closing speed, and jumping ability. Pound for pound, he may also be the strongest player in the draft. There is not a single physical trait he lacks. On the football field, he is an emerging talent. He did not make too many plays early on, but once he moved to defensive end, he started to show his pass rushing ability. His upside is tremendous, and he could be a standout pass rusher at the next level. Lawson is also a standout special teamer.

With all his athletic gifts, he is prone to relying on them too often. A major part of that is due to his inexperience on the defensive line. As an end, he lacks the bulk to be a player against the run. Lawson carries the tweener tag, but that has not been a negative lately. Still, he may only fit for certain teams.

Manny Lawson has tremendous upside. As a pass rusher, he has as much pure talent as anyone in the draft. He is listed here as a defensive end, but he has the ability to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. Lawson is a guy that should rise up the charts as the draft approaches because of his awesome physical ability. He will really tear up the combines and individual workouts. Do not be surprised to see him crack the first round, but the second is the safe bet.

He may not be "the answer", but I really like his upside and motor. In other words, food for thought...

WHODEY !!!