Dillon for Deltha?

HoosierCat

Found this little tidbit on sportsline.com...

Champ Baileys arrival in Denver has opened the doors for Delta ONeals departure. SportsLine.com has learned that the Broncos have given ONeals agent permission to seek a trade and his agent, in turn, sent a fax to personnel directors throughout the NFL today.

Not just a straight swap as that doesn't improve our situation. If they throw in the 2nd round pick they got from the redskins as well, then maybe.

Don't know about that....a CB would definately help our situation a great deal, especially one with the potential of O'neal...A straight swap or even through in a late round pick to boot....

But it doesn't help the OVERALL situation. Sure, the secondary gets an upgrade but we then lose a Pro-Bowl calibre running back. We are simply swapping one problem for another. Who do you bring in to replace Dillon? Or do we start Rudi, leaving us in need of finding a backup RB with no extra means of doing so?

The answers here lie in an assessment of which position we can fill better thru FA or the draft. FA corners are disappearing fast and the draft will see a first round run on corners, all of whom have question marks hanging over them. FA Rb's aren't a fantastic bunch to choose from and there are too few top RB's in this year's draft; the good ones will go VERY early, when we want to be focussing on our D.

If the prancing ponies want Dillon then it shall cost them AT LEAST O'Neal and a 2nd round pick. Ideally I want another pick next year too. And that's the bottom line, cos Stone Cold said so.

But it doesn't help the OVERALL situation. Sure, the secondary gets an upgrade but we then lose a Pro-Bowl calibre running back. We are simply swapping one problem for another. Who do you bring in to replace Dillon? Or do we start Rudi, leaving us in need of finding a backup RB with no extra means of doing so?

Getting a former pro bowl corner with lots of playing time left for a player (Dillon) who, if we don't manage to squeeze out a 3rd or 4th round pick for, will be released, doesn't improve our overall situation? C'mon! Dillon's disgruntled act has killed the trade market for him; as Pasqurelli over at espn.com noted in his chat yesterday, no one is interested in him. Getting a player and second for him is pure fantasy. Heck, getting a second rounder is probably fantasy. As for Rudi, he's already the de facto starter, and the Bengals will likely look for a new backup around rounds 3 or 4.

The bigger issue is whether the Broncos would be interested. Any RB Shanahan plugs into his system seems to become a 1,000+ yard rusher, which is one reason they didn't go to the mat with Portis.

I think the Broncos would wet themselves with excitement if they thought they could pick up Corey.

Leaving aside our personal likes/dislikes for Corey, consider this: Terrell Owens was snapped up by the Ravens, and both the Eagles and the Falcons were interested. Who behaved more like an a**h*** this year, Corey or TO?

Days ago when the Ravens' RB controversy broke, many of you were disquieted at the thought of trading Dillon to them as he is too good a back for us to be facing twice a year. All I'm saying is if we trade Corey, get a good deal for him. If no-one wants to make a respectable offer then keep him and let Marvin work his magic. Other teams are watching this situation whether we believe that or not and if Corey is forced out by a disgruntled fan base and we get a poor deal for him, we will all be mighty shamefaced if he comes back to haunt us later on, which I personally believe he would.

Maybe it's an english perspective, but I got the impression that he was incredibly frustrated rather than wanting out.

I think the Broncos would wet themselves with excitement if they thought they could pick up Corey.

The Broncos (and every other team in the league, for that matter) have had the opportunity to pick up Dillon for some time now. Yet no one with stained pants has appeared knocking at the door. IMHO, if any deal happens, it'll either come on draft day (for a third or fourth rounder) or after the draft, when someone will offer up a conditional pick in 2005.

Leaving aside our personal likes/dislikes for Corey, consider this: Terrell Owens was snapped up by the Ravens, and both the Eagles and the Falcons were interested. Who behaved more like an a**h*** this year, Corey or TO?

I think I'd have to go with Corey there. TO didn't wander into the locker room screaming for a trade or throw his uniform in the stands after the last game. On top of that, TO spent last season healthy, while Dillon was on and off the bench. A player plus a second round pick for a 30-year-old RB coming off a year in which he was often sidelined by injury? C'mon.

Days ago when the Ravens' RB controversy broke, many of you were disquieted at the thought of trading Dillon to them as he is too good a back for us to be facing twice a year.

Wouldn't worry me too much. CD is boom-or-bust, 200 yards one day and 20 the next. Frankly, that'd be an improvement (from the Bengals point of view) over Jamal Lewis, who's on all the time.

All I'm saying is if we trade Corey, get a good deal for him. If no-one wants to make a respectable offer then keep him and let Marvin work his magic. Other teams are watching this situation whether we believe that or not and if Corey is forced out by a disgruntled fan base and we get a poor deal for him, we will all be mighty shamefaced if he comes back to haunt us later on, which I personally believe he would.

Corey isn't being forced out by a disgruntled fan base, he's being forced out by a combination of poor performance, poor attitude, injury, and the emergence of Rudi Johnson. I don't know what magic you believe Marvin Lewis can work, but when you insult your own o-line by blaming your poor performance on them (while they see to be doing fine for the other RB on the team), I think the bridge is burnt. As for a respectable offer, what's wrong of a trade of a former pro bowl RB for a former pro bowl CB? We need the latter, and Rudi's emergence makes Dillon expendable. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

There is no way Corey is going to remain a Bengal. It's over.

Deltha at this point would be good value. We can add one

OG and suddenly Rudi gets even better. There is no way we can put a rookie center with Palmer.

We do know that D J Williams will not be a Bengals pick and

Randy Starks is looking better all the time. Frankly, I don't rule out Will Smith. If it must be a corner let it be Deangelo Hall.

Tommie Harris would be great but he won't be there.

We were 30th against the rush...this can't go on......

Just a note: the Denver Post says Denver is looking for a "high pick" in return for O'Neal, while the Rocky Mountain News pegs the price at a "first-day" selection. Which is about the best that we could expect for CD, IMHO. Hey, Mikey, pick up the damn phone!

Dillon for Deltha ain't gonna happen... We need somebody that can cover, and the 1 year that o'neil went to the pro bowl, it was because of a high interception total, mostly off of other peoples' tips etc.. just like Ronde Barber hasn't been back to the pro-bowl in 2 years, since he had that nfl leading 10 , mostly off of tips etc.....

Dillon for Deltha means Mike is choking his chicken too hard again... cause that deal don't make sense... We give up a running back with proven skills, and get a Corner on the s**t list, because he couldn't cover a floor mat in a phone booth..?

No thanks.. I'm waiting on the next elevator to the crazy floor..!

You may be waitin' for that lift for a while. Assuming that the Broncos were even willing to entertain the offer, O'Neal beats nothing, and nothing is what we're staring at so far.

Besides, with Toast gone, we have a hole at CBWS (corner backs who suck). Get on the phone, Mikey! :P

We give up a running back with proven skills, and get a Corner on the s**t list, because he couldn't cover a floor mat in a phone booth..?

No thanks.. I'm waiting on the next elevator to the crazy floor..!

Great funny lines matched with reason! :lol: Do you come up with this stuff yourself? You're crackin' me up!! :D