Penn State

Stripes

This is all speculation of course, but after last nights classic duel between Penn State and Florida State, I am convinced that the Buckeyes were the best team in the Big Ten this season. Yes, Penn State obviously won the head to head matchup, and that was a great accomplishment for them, they played the better game. Still, as the season has progressed for both teams, I do not think another game would go the same way if such a game were to be played. The Buckeyes are suddenly dominant on offense, and the defense didn't get any worse. Add that to the fact that Penn State didn't play especially well last night.

The Ohio State offense was "suddenly dominant" against a bad Michigan team and a bad Notre Dame defense.

I also find your definition of playing well to be a little off. Penn State played a great game last night. They shut down a pretty good Florida State passing offense, and they ran into trouble against a great Florida State defense. Why is it, that when two teams play great defensive football. it is called sloppy? But when two team are caught in a shootout where the there is horrible defensive play, it is called great offense? Last night's game, aside from the stupid penalties on the part of Florida State, was my definition of a great football game. Call me old fashioned for preferring defense to offense, but that's how I am.

I would agree, it was a great game. I am sure it'll make that "Instant Classic" show on ESPN Classic. I am also one that prefers strong defense, and I wouldn't call either team's perfomance "sloppy" in last night's game (except those missed field goals). My only point is that I believe Ohio State is playing much better football than they were when they faced Penn State, and for that reason alone, perhaps there could be a different outcome. In the end it doesn't really matter, I like both teams, and it was good to see them both represent the Big Ten properly in their big BCS Bowl games.

I guess my def and you def of a "great passing game" is different Rover(especially with a freshman QB). I know your a fan, but FSU wasn't that good, and they played a great game defensively last night. Any 4 loss conference winner/BCS bowl game recipient is sad, plain and simple

Two words on why the Bucks aren't in the title game right now

Troy Smith

I know hindsight is 20/20, but if he plays against OK St in last years bowl game, goes through Spring ball and the #1 guy and starts the opening game and the Texas game and I honestly believe we'd be smelling roses right now

No way texas could beat the team that played Notre Dame last night

All I learned watching the OSU/ND game was that ND was WAY OVER RATED and not nearly quick enough to compete with any of the top programs. I doubt they could have beteen ANY BCS team. :huh: Their getting a BCS slot was awarded soley because of their vast alumni base (IMHO).

Any body know how many ND guys are in the Harris poll?

All I learned watching the OSU/ND game was that ND was WAY OVER RATED and not nearly quick enough to compete with any of the top programs. I doubt they could have beteen ANY BCS team. :huh: Their getting a BCS slot was awarded soley because of their vast alumni base (IMHO).

Notre Dame played USC very well, and I didn't see any alumni on the field. Maybe OSU was just that good. Notre Dame could have beaten Georgia and Florida State. These teams would not have the offensive weapons to compete. Georgia could make it close, but FSU would not.

Notre Dame played USC very well, and I didn't see any alumni on the field. Maybe OSU was just that good. Notre Dame could have beaten Georgia and Florida State. These teams would not have the offensive weapons to compete. Georgia could make it close, but FSU would not.

So what if ND played USC very well, so did Fresno state. :blink: IMHO FSU and any of the other BCS teams along with LSU would have beaten the dome heads. BUT that is why they bother playing the game. It's like Lou Holtz said, ND cannot consistently recruit the athletes you need to win a national championship; much less to field a national championship caliber team. B)

I don't know.... Given the success they had this season, I bet a lot of players will look more into playing for Notre Dame. They already would have to love the history behind the program, and if Weiss and crew can sell the idea that the school is headed to that sort of dominance once again, then the athletes will follow.

I don't know.... Given the success they had this season, I bet a lot of players will look more into playing for Notre Dame. They already would have to love the history behind the program, and if Weiss and crew can sell the idea that the school is headed to that sort of dominance once again, then the athletes will follow.

There's only one problem with your scenario, the athletes have to qualify academically and ND has very high standards.

To get back to prominence ND has to foster the Catholic communities so, like in years past, every football playing catholic boy yearns to play for ND.

BTW I love your sigs :sure:

i believe that you can only say who the better team is by the way the team played that day.......if a team isnt ready to play....they arent ready to play.....paterno had his boys ready to play against the buckeyes and the buckeyes werent therefore in my opinion...no matter how they played against the irish.....penn state was the better team...on that day

the buckeyes were the best team in the nation at the end of the year . if troy smith does not get himself suspended then we would have beat Texas and Penn st . troy did not get to practice with the team while he was suspended. so the offense did not get its grove until after the Penn st game. that is my true feeling about osu . hopefully troy keeps his act together. but regardless of what i think we will never know who the best teams are until they put in a playoff system . down with the Bull Crap System