Bratkowski to the Saints?

BlainThePain

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

BRATKOWSKI TO SAINTS?

We're hearing preliminary rumblings connecting Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski to the head coaching job with the Saints.

Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis will look closely at Bratkowski, we're told. Loomis was the cap guy in Seattle when Bratkowski worked there as the receivers coach.

And familiarity could be all that Loomis has to go on. He's not a football guy, but a glorified bean counter. He doesn't know what to look for in a head coach, and there's no manual that he can buy or video he can rent to help him decide between Bratkowski or any other candidate.

Of course, the bigger question is whether Bratkowski or anyone else will be interested in the job. The potential arrival of Matt Leinart as the new quarterback could be a drawing card for a coach with an offensive background. However, lingering uncertainty regarding the long-term location and viability of the franchise likely will diminish the attraction.

He is the coordinator to one of the best offenses in the league, so he naturally will get looked at. I doubt he will end up going anywhere, because I doubt he will put up a better resume than the other options for the position, even in this case with the Saints.

I think I'd dismiss any rumor of Brat being named a head coach in the NFL...with the exception of the Saints job. It's more than likely that team is going to have trouble attracting qualified candidates, and I imagine the next coach the Saints hire will simply be a caretaker hired to be fired at a later date. That will keep the proven NFL head coaches away, as well as most of the top coordinators, but may not deter a coordinator or college head coach who lacks experience.

That said, Brat doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will imake a good first impression in an interview for a head coaching job. His monotone delivery and deadpan facial expressions are hardly the fiery image that most teams are looking for.

HOF...The reason I see Brat not getting a HC job is because he calls terrible games, not his demeanor.

There are planty of guys who don't get all riled up and are succesful: Dungy, Dennis Green, Saban, Holmgren, etc... Most teams are looking for the next Dungy as opposed to the next Cowher or Parcells.

He may make some short lists based on stats but I find it tough to believe he lands a spot once he gets scrutinized and evaluated on the merit of his abilities. Let's not forget this team started to get scary once Carson started to audible and call what seems to be his own plays.

Brat will get a long look by teams I'm sure with how well this offense has done since he's been here with or without Carson. The guy has basically developed his own system and terminology etc.., and had much success with it.

Honestly if I'm the Bengals, and desperately need continuity for a few years, I offer him a raise to stay like Washington did - just not nearly as much $ obviously.

With as bad as this defense is here - they need to keep what they got on offense and not take steps back.

Finally, I can't see why any prominent assistant or coaching candidate would want the Saints job - what a mess that franchise is - the owner is a horrible person to work for - total a$$ - and they don't even know where they'll play next year yet. It's one of those situations that an up-and-comer type should avoid if they don't want to ruin their career and future there.

Who in their right mind would want to head coach the Saints anyway?

HOF...The reason I see Brat not getting a HC job is because he calls terrible games, not his demeanor.

I don't think so. The Bengals have had a top-five ranked offense for most of the season. Not sure how that's calling "terrible games". Maybe bad situational calls (a third down here, fourth down there), but I hardly think he's called terrible games.

The saints job is only one of 32 head coaching jobs available...it'll be a hot commodity...

don't see brat there though....I see more of a disiplinarian type....Donnie Henderson is a name that is going around....has a rep as a hard-ass with the jets D...

If some tean takes him they are ignorant. Do you remeber how long it took him to get his offense installed. That O is way to complicated for most QBs let alone Wrs. He has been here for years and the players have been in the same O. However rember all those years of crapy offenses we had to suffer through for these guys to be at this point. For the love of god he was the one that wanted Akili and warrik. What ever team takes this guy isnt doing their homework.

I hope he stays. If he leaves, the offense will back slide next year.

I don't see that anymore. I think Carson has a good handle on the offense now. He almost runs it all himself now with the no huddle and all the audibles he calls. It would still be big losing him, but I don't think it will have that big of an effect on them.

I don't see that anymore. I think Carson has a good handle on the offense now. He almost runs it all himself now with the no huddle and all the audibles he calls. It would still be big losing him, but I don't think it will have that big of an effect on them.

You're right ultimately - but it's too soon for turnover here right now IMO. Zampese and <gasp> Alexander are both o-coordinator hopefuls, but they need to be groomed and I don't see Alexander as being good at much of anything - just a Brown family favorite hanging onto his job via his 3 high round draft picks, a vet FA and an old wily veteran center who didn't need much motivation or coaching up.

In fact I wish the Saints would hire freakin' Alexander, or someone, he's been here forever and no one else wants him - not even a college - that should tell us something about how overrated he is. Players rarely speak highly of him - and they used to flat out make fun of him after they left here in their circles.

Any ways, I'd like to see Palmer and Brat stay together for at least 2 more years, and for someone like Zampese to be groomed for the position.

There are planty of guys who don't get all riled up and are succesful: Dungy, Dennis Green, Saban, Holmgren, etc... Most teams are looking for the next Dungy as opposed to the next Cowher or Parcells.

I've had issues with Brat's playcalling from time to time...usually when he abandons the running game, but that type of criticism comes with the territory. So let's just say that I'm not one of his more vocal critics and for the most part have few problems with the way he calls a game.

As for his demeanor, he reminds me less of Tony Dungy and more of Buster Keaton. (Dated reference.)

You're right ultimately - but it's too soon for turnover here right now IMO. Zampese and <gasp> Alexander are both o-coordinator hopefuls, but they need to be groomed and I don't see Alexander as being good at much of anything - just a Brown family favorite hanging onto his job via his 3 high round draft picks, a vet FA and an old wily veteran center who didn't need much motivation or coaching up.

In fact I wish the Saints would hire freakin' Alexander, or someone, he's been here forever and no one else wants him - not even a college - that should tell us something about how overrated he is. Players rarely speak highly of him - and they used to flat out make fun of him after they left here in their circles.

Any ways, I'd like to see Palmer and Brat stay together for at least 2 more years, and for someone like Zampese to be groomed for the position.

Wasn't Alexander going to Buffalo before ML offered him the Assistant Head Coach tag? I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. He should have let him go to Buffalo with the rest of our rejects. Is it really any wonder why Buffalo sucks? Except of course when they play the Bengals.

I don't see Brat going anywhere, except for possibly New Orleans. I can't see any self respecting coach taking that job. Brat is considered a good coordinator because of the number of high draft picks the Bengals used on his offense. I'm with you, for continuity purposes, it would be nice to keep him one more year. But I wouldn't lose much sleep if he left. Who know, maybe Norv Turner will finally realize that he will never be a Head Coach...

hahaha...buster keaton and the deadpan glazed look....you nailed it. one look at brat's file photo on bengals.com is all it takes.

bk-cfobk.jpg

and

Bratkowski_Bob.jpg

There are worse things than to see him go. When the talent wasn;t quite there he really struggled with the playcalling, and i agree that his poor calls have been limited but I attribute this to Palmers ability rather than brats.

Shrug. This doesn't bother me one way or another. However, I think anyone would be crazy to take the Saints job.

I already here leinart is planning to pull a Eli if the Saints try and get him.

I'm one of the guys who's wanted ken Zampese to be OC, anyways. It's not that I have a problem with Brat, other than what Kirk said, some of his situational play calling. I think Zampese can take this thing to the next level

Oh Lord, I hope not. He already has so much good will from so many football fans accross the country just as Eli did... He doesn't need to go and tarnish it like that.

The Saints have had a lot of talent for a long time now. Nothing has come of that for whatever reason, but with a franchise quarterback like Leinart, they could rise into contention very quickly (a la Manning and the long-time bad Colts and Palmer and the long-time bad Bengals).

Forget that, if I was Leinart or anyone for that matter I wouldn't want to go to the Saints. The NFL treated them very poorly this year and they'll still be traveling all over the place next year. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go to the Saints. Just like us regular people, it's nice to have a little stability at work and he would get none of that in New Orleans

Oh Lord, I hope not. He already has so much good will from so many football fans accross the country just as Eli did... He doesn't need to go and tarnish it like that.

I think a lot of people don't blame Eli. I don't. I'm sure he's glad he did what he did, and isn't where Philip Rivers is right now, living in purgatory for the Chargers and no chance to play football.

Elway's image isn't tarnished because he did the same. In 5 years, no one will care that Eli did it.

I kind of understand, I think, where Eli is coming from. You're talking about the QB position, where the difference between success and failure is the system and coaching staff responsible for your professional development. A good RB will shine, more or less, in most systems, but a bad staff can ruin a good QB. Ask David Carr. The rules make it so that you have no way to choose your employer, and the team that gets to choose you (Chargers) has a knack for screwing up negotiations with rookies and has a QB situation where they haven't given up on the last guy yet (Brees). Also, Marty isn't the nurturing type, evidenced by the fact he was trying to toss Brees aside before he really got a fair chance. That's a bad situation, Eli knew it, and he did what he had to do to protect himself.

So I don't blame Eli a bit for making it known he wouldn't go to the Chargers when there was a good chance it would seriously jeopardize his career. And Leinart might be smart to do the same, the Saints are an absolute wreck right now. Depends who comes in to coach, I expect.