Is anyone going to discuss the game itself?

Paul Robinson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a few classy pitt fans showed up today.

Nice post by the way...

Yep, I have to agree. I am VERY HARD on Steeler fans in general, but these guys have stood up to show me some 'normal fans' do exist in that bunch. Thanks guys! ... you have renewed my hope. I just wish I could meet one like you guys in person. That hasn't happened yet in this city. Maybe if I give it another 15 years ;-)

I just don't see the Bengals stopping the run well enough to get the Steelers out of their comfort zone.

So you're saying you either forgot about or simply didn't see the last game between these two teams? The Bengals did that very thing...in Pittsburgh no less!?! The much maligned Cincinnati defense held the Steelers to a mere 93 yards of total rushing. In other words, I'd say that's about 128 yards out away from the from the 221 total rushing yard "comfort zone" they established in week 7.

For whatever reason, the Cincinnati defensive line now seems to match up well against Pittsburgh front four. Even in the hostile enviornment imposed by Hienz field. Add in the confidence boost of the defensive squad actually knowing they do have the ability to beat their division rivals, and you suddenly realize it's the Bengals, not the Steelers, that will be wielding the comfort zone advantage!

I mean just take a look at these guy's faces as they watch the seconds tick down while sitting on their sidelines at their home park:

harshrealitysetsin2mj.jpg

The last thing I'd say that image shows on their faces is "comfort," and if you can't be comfy at home in Pittsburgh, you'll find little of it in Cincy's Jungle at PBS. You can be assured they won't be fluffing any pillows for the Steelers this weekend!

Prediction: 23-17 Steelers.

My reply? The Bus breaks down, "Duce" is dealt a tough hand to play and folds, Big Ben continues revealing chinks in his armor, and Cincy routs Pittsburgh. Bengals win by 12+ points. So much extra crow required to feed hordes of Steeler fans that extra Ratbird is shipped in from Baltimore to fill the void! :lol::whistling:

There also will be one other by product from this: canijumponyourbandwagon4xu.jpg

Wow, a few classy pitt fans showed up today.

Nice post by the way...

Yep, I have to agree. I am VERY HARD on Steeler fans in general, but these guys have stood up to show me some 'normal fans' do exist in that bunch. Thanks guys! ... you have renewed my hope. I just wish I could meet one like you guys in person. That hasn't happened yet in this city. Maybe if I give it another 15 years ;-)

I've met plenty of intelligent Steeler fans. To be completely honest I think those voices usually get drowned out by the hordes of casual bandwagon fans who finds it easy to follow any NFL team that's had the long term success that the Steelers have had. For example...

Remember the HBO footage showing the fat Steeler mom type making fun of the Bengals ugly uniforms even as the Bengals were scoring at will? Sheesh, what's an old gal like that doing with a ticket to a big game?

That said, Steeler fans have seen too much good football over the years not to have picked up a few things. Simply put, they aren't Brown fans.

:sure:

We should deactivate a wideout assuming both powell and robinson can play. Rotate these 2 DT plus thorton, ssmith, fanene, etc.

I am also very concerned about Randle El. Like Dante Hall, I am terrified everytime he touches the ball.

As mentioned before, Heath Miller may be the X factor.

Bye the bye, it would be cool if the Bengals could make winter hats like that dude shaking hands with CJ. With Palmer's # of course.

I think our O-line is more than capable of adjusting to and handling the Pitt D.

I'm not sure that B-Rob can make an impact after sitting for what, 4 weeks? I'd rather see our quickest LB (Oompah or Caleb) get matched with Heath miller. Simmons is too slow and Odell will key Parker for short screens.

Randel-el is one not as scary as Morgan. Morgan is a big fast dude. Randel-el is small and quick but shies from hits.

As long as we do not see KK having to try to tackle Bettis 8 yrds past the l.o.s., then we will be OK.

Bengals in a snoozer....

34 - 23, with 10 of Pitts 23 in junk time with less than 5:00 to go. by Mid 4th qtr, it will be 31 - 13.

I think our O-line is more than capable of adjusting to and handling the Pitt D.

I'm not sure that B-Rob can make an impact after sitting for what, 4 weeks? I'd rather see our quickest LB (Oompah or Caleb) get matched with Heath miller. Simmons is too slow and Odell will key Parker for short screens.

Randel-el is one not as scary as Morgan. Morgan is a big fast dude. Randel-el is small and quick but shies from hits.

As long as we do not see KK having to try to tackle Bettis 8 yrds past the l.o.s., then we will be OK.

Bengals in a snoozer....

34 - 23, with 10 of Pitts 23 in junk time with less than 5:00 to go. by Mid 4th qtr, it will be 31 - 13.

IF that happens I will be blown away. Just can't see your defense holding us to 13 points until garbage time. In the two games we've played this year we've scored 31 and 27 respectively. In the 31 point game there was no garbage time points as we had the ball with 2:30 minutes to go and a chance to tie. The first game there was obviously no garbage time points by us, but we were up 27 - 6 until the Bengals did manage to score a TD with 1:57 to go. This game will be much closer than you think. There's nothing to indicated a blowout by either team, so to me your opinion is somewhat senseless.

PIT 30

CIN 23

I'd say this will be the best game in the playoffs this year, also other than the super bowl i think it will be the closest im predicting Cincy 27, Steelers 24. We have adapted to read pittsburgh in your last game we did pick ben 3 times and that sore thumb crap is worthless he would not have played if it was as sore as he was saying it was. Willie Parker is hot and cold some games he lights up the scoreboard others he just fumbles 1-3 times.

The X-Factors of this game:

Willie Parker - 10 yard gain or Fumble?

2. Heath Miller vs. Kevin Kaesviharn - If Heath is able to get open he will make big plays all day long. Kevin will have his hands full with Heath, but if he's able to nuetralize him for most of the day that will be a huge lift for the Bengals Secondary.

This matchup is always a key for the Bengals defense against any team. We've been devoured by Dallas Clark, Heath Miller, and have given up 3rd down plays to various other tight ends (including Reed of the Bills and Heiden/Shea of the Browns). In nearly every case, however, the man at fault for this issue was the much maligned Ifeanyi Ohalete, not Kaesviharn. Kevin has done a marvelous job this year condsidering the circumstances. His shortcomings have been in stopping the run once it hits the second level.

I'd say this will be the best game in the playoffs this year, also other than the super bowl i think it will be the closest im predicting Cincy 27, Steelers 24. We have adapted to read pittsburgh in your last game we did pick ben 3 times and that sore thumb crap is worthless he would not have played if it was as sore as he was saying it was. Willie Parker is hot and cold some games he lights up the scoreboard others he just fumbles 1-3 times.

The X-Factors of this game:

Willie Parker - 10 yard gain or Fumble?

Now this is just silly, doesn't this belong in Smack Central? One game he struggled holding onto the ball and all of the sudden he's a modern day Tiki Barber. Ridiculous.

2. Heath Miller vs. Kevin Kaesviharn - If Heath is able to get open he will make big plays all day long. Kevin will have his hands full with Heath, but if he's able to nuetralize him for most of the day that will be a huge lift for the Bengals Secondary.

This matchup is always a key for the Bengals defense against any team. We've been devoured by Dallas Clark, Heath Miller, and have given up 3rd down plays to various other tight ends (including Reed of the Bills and Heiden/Shea of the Browns). In nearly every case, however, the man at fault for this issue was the much maligned Ifeanyi Ohalete, not Kaesviharn. Kevin has done a marvelous job this year condsidering the circumstances. His shortcomings have been in stopping the run once it hits the second level.

I agree that Heath Miller is once again the biggest threat for moving the chains and doing some vertical damage. However, Ohalete is not the only problem in trying to cover him or any of the other TEs that have hit the Bengals. Ohalete is most noticeable because he misses too many tackles, but from a coverage standpoint this fault has been pretty evenly distributed over the year between Ohalete, K2, and the LBs -- B-Simmons, Odell, and Landon whenever they either try to trail the TE down the seam or try to keep up with underneath coverage and a safety over top.

Despite the success of the Steelers WRs last game, I still give the advantage to the coverage because there's not much speed mismatch -- other than Quincy Morgan. This is one game where the Bengals secondary should fare fairly well vs. their opponents.

I keep waiting for the Bengals to get gashed by the Steelers 3rd down back Verron Haynes and keep hoping it don't happen. As for the Steelers fabled rushing attack, this should be a classic example of -- excuse the phrase Mr. Broome -- bend but don't break. After the first team D faced Larry Johnson and the Chiefs league-best O-line for as long as it did last week, the Steelers O-line and their running attack will not spook anyone in black and orange on the field. The key will be to keep the long run out, which the Bengals obviously didn't do the first time around with the 37-yard Parker run.

From an x's and o's standpoint, the Bengals D has to approach this game to stop the run first -- and part of this means Ohalete plays safety and not Keiwan. It also means Shaun Smith is in to clog the middle and force early cuts and bounce outs where the LB speed should be enough to keep most runs from getting to the second level.

In the second Bengals-Steelers game last year, the Bengals blitzed Big Ben mercilessly and registered 7 sacks IIRC. I don't see that happening with Brez calling the shots, but I do think there will be some vulnerability to delayed LB blitzes in the middle, a CB blitz here and there, and some Ohalete charging through gaps like a Geronimo. Big Ben can be highly successful throwing even if he does make some miscues. If the Steelers have to play catch up, aren't running efefctively enough, or need to throw on 3rd downs, I like the Bengals chances better if they rely on a lot more bump and man coverage and disguise some of their help to get Big Ben to pull the trigger too early.

Overall, I don't see the Steelers offense putting up more than 16 points. But add Randel-El returns and a big defensive play or two and IMO the Steelers get at least 23 for this one.

I agree with all the points you've made Schweinhart, but given all of them, I'd expect more than 16 or 23 points out of the Steelers offense. Big Ben is good enough to take everything our defense gives him, as he did last time, and I expect him to do so. The Steelers will probably get their points and their yards through the air (contrary to popular expectations), assuming our offense is doing its part to determine the tempo of the game.

Overall, I don't see the Steelers offense putting up more than 16 points. But add Randel-El returns and a big defensive play or two and IMO the Steelers get at least 23 for this one.

I just don't understand where this logic comes from. 27 points in game one, then 31 in game two. For those who are counting... that's 58 OFFENSIVE POINTS in two games. No Defensive or special temas points, but 58 OFFENSIVE POINTS or 29 OFFENSIVE POINTS PER GAME AGAINST CINCY.

All of the sudden the vaunted Bengal D is going to keep Pittsburgh to 16 offensive points?????

I'm clearly not getting this so can someone please explain the logic here.

We've been held under 20 point only four times all year.

17 by Jacksonville w/o Big Ben

13 by Baltimore w/o Big Ben

7 by Indianapolis w/ Big Ben

18 by Minnesota w/ Big Ben

As you can see... the only teams to hold Ben under 20 points this year were Indy and Minnesota. And the Indy game was his first in a month. Face it guys, we're gonna score points on you... I know you want so badly for the Bengals to shut us down, but I just don't see it happening.

I can see why folks on both side of the aisle would expect more than 23 Steeler points given the totals this year. But in game one the big reason for the Steelers point total was the failure of the Bengals offense to execute early twice in the red zone to force the Steelers out of their running game and continue to run Rudi instead of bringing in the Chris "SUPERSTAR" Perry package and throwing too much when the D was not stacked vs. run.

Game 2 was a testament to Big Ben. If he has to throw, he can do it well and he can rack up points. There's a definite hope on this side that the Bengals will muster the killer instinct needed to bury teams better when they jump up to a big lead. I thought the fisrt matchup was gonna be the one for that but it turned into a botched mess.

Overall I'd expect more ball control on both sides with fewer big strikes which should lower the score.

Bengals 27

Steelers 23