Last Two Games Meant Nothing

Jet23

I have no problem with the fact that the Bengals are home dogs in the playoffs. I do think the media has gone way too far not giving them a chance. The fact is that in most cases, momentum is created in the playoffs, not carried over from the regular season. Since Denver won out anyway, the last two games did not mean a thing, period. Especially since New England didn't care to have the #3 seed (what was up with that drop kick?).

Three weeks ago the media proclaimed the Bengals the second best team in the NFL. Now, nobody will touch them with a 10-foot pole. Maybe the last two games were a blessing in disguise. Maybe Pittsburgh will be surprised when we punch them in the mouth. The way I look at it, all of the pressure is on them.

I have already spoken to several fans that have given up hope. One guys was going to sell his tickets on E-Bay. I told him he may as well drive to Pittsburgh and give them to a Steeler fan, because that is who is going to buy them. The media has jumped ship, but we shouldn't!

Hey, the bandwagon is still parked on the Purple People Bridge, fake fans are more than welcome to jump off the bandwagon and into the cold waters below. SCREW THEM!

I was here when Icky Shuffled.

I was here when Corey Grumbled.

I was here when Pickens mumbled.

I was here when we lost over and over and over again.

I'll be here when it all comes around and we win and win and win.

I'll be here when we loft the Lombardi and splash Marvin with champaign.

Well the Bengals' are pretty much playing like the .500 team from the last two years, the 2nd half of this season, now that the turnovers have gone away and they've had a tougher schedule.

(2-2 in last 4 and 4-3 in last seven)

I seriously doubt if Palmer had played yesterday along with Deltha - that they would've won that game any ways.

So a 3 point underdog is no suprise to me - the Bengals' need to prove they deserve respect right now.

We saw how dominant this team can be early this year when the defense pitches in for 4 quarters and compliments the offense.

Until Marvin sacks up and fixes the defense, all we can do is cross fingers and hope for defensive stops on 3rd down and turnovers.

I have really lost patience with the pathetic defensive performance here - to the point that I think that side of the ball needs to be gutted and Marvin needs to take a more hands-on role with it - 3 years is too long for no improvement. Not acceptable, it's what he was brought in here for - the offense was already in place here along with most of the players - what his real challenge is now, is to fix and build a defense quickly that is competent and capable of playing at a much higher level next year - can't wait another 2-3 years for this to happen.

After watching the Chiefs game on shortcuts, I can say one thing about our Bengals. They lose confindence easy. We were only down three until just a few minutes in the half. As soon as Johnson broke his long TD run, it was like a flashback to the Philly blowout in the preseason. We gave up.

We're a different team with Carson on both sides of the ball because we are different mentally with Carson.

Kitna (my god, is he awful) throws his pick, and Johnson suddenly breaks another one. Game over.

BTW, CUT Ohalate and bench James. They can't cover (slooow) and they can't tackle to save their lives.

After watching the Chiefs game on shortcuts, I can say one thing about our Bengals. They lose confindence easy. We were only down three until just a few minutes in the half. As soon as Johnson broke his long TD run, it was like a flashback to the Philly blowout in the preseason. We gave up.

We're a different team with Carson on both sides of the ball because we are different mentally with Carson.

Kitna (my god, is he awful) throws his pick, and Johnson suddenly breaks another one. Game over.

BTW, CUT Ohalate and bench James. They can't cover (slooow) and they can't tackle to save their lives.

Obviously we have problems at S that will be partially fixed by Madieu coming back and (hopefully) the draft or possibly FAs. I'd say Ohaslsdgfsdfsdjkjsdf34w won't be back next year, except maybe as a sub.

I'm a bit surprised by Tory's regression, he hasn't been that great this year.

Regardless, we need a lot more toughness in the interior line and the secondary.

Obviously we have problems at S that will be partially fixed by Madieu coming back and (hopefully) the draft or possibly FAs. I'd say Ohaslsdgfsdfsdjkjsdf34w won't be back next year, except maybe as a sub.

I'm a bit surprised by Tory's regression, he hasn't been that great this year.

Regardless, we need a lot more toughness in the interior line and the secondary.

James is not a terrible cb, it's harder to do your job when there is zero pressure on the qb. From where I'm sitting, the sacks that we are able to generate are coverage sacks. I will withhold criticism of the defensive backfield until such time as our DL is anything other than laughable...

ESPN did an analysis (with stats not opinions) of all DBs in the league. To my suprise, Delta was number 1 in nearly every category. I then wondered why do I worry about are secondary so much? James was rated near the bottom in every major category with the exception of interceptions. We will eventually need a fix at corner, is it the most pressing need? No.

Did the last 2 games matter?

It depends how the Bengals start on Sunday. Fast, and oh how quickly everyone will forget. Slow, and Pitt may run away with this game to a disillusioned bunch of players.

I do agree Carson radiates cofidence throughout the team, but to drag down Kitna is ridiculous. He definately was rusty, but if he practiced all week with the 1st team offense I think he would look a lot better. (In no way does this mean I want Kitna over Carson, as I think we all know Carson is a top 5 QB).

I have really lost patience with the pathetic defensive performance here - to the point that I think that side of the ball needs to be gutted and Marvin needs to take a more hands-on role with it - 3 years is too long for no improvement. Not acceptable, it's what he was brought in here for - the offense was already in place here along with most of the players - what his real challenge is now, is to fix and build a defense quickly that is competent and capable of playing at a much higher level next year - can't wait another 2-3 years for this to happen.

This shouldn't be seen as criticism of Marvin, but I have to wonder if he hasn't been spread too thin rebuilding this franchise from top to bottom and throughout the community instead of simply coaching. The demands on his time have to be staggering....especially that first year.

In regards to the defense I think he's got his system in place and many of the players needed to run it. But until he's got a unit that functions as intended it's too hard to overcome the occasional injury or slow developing player. And sadly, he's still missing that special player who can provide real onfield leadership.

The defense has been improving every season since Marvin got here and this year has been no different. Going into week 17 (I won't include a meaningless game) we were ranked 17th in rush defense. Sure, that's nothing great, but it is a vast improvement over the 29th and 26th we saw the two previous seasons. The pass defense has regressed some due to multiple injuries in the secondary. Despite these injuries, the defense has become the most opportunistic in the entire league.

That is improvement if anything is. Give Marvin enough time to fill ALL the holes and the final product will be great. We're almost there.

the rush defense improve bacause teams were passing more.. The run defense gives up 4.3 yards per carry .. not acceptable to a winning formula for stopping teams... new tackles are needed and the linebackers have to be more consistent

I'd agree, there is still a lot of room for improvement. If we can land a defensive tackle in free agency or work a miracle in the draft, then we'll see major changes in the look of this defense as it plays. Still, if I amn remembering correctly, the previous two seasons we were giving up closer to 5 yards a carry.