Kitna to San Diego or San Fran?

Kirkendall

From the Cincy Enquirer

QB Kitna is not demanding a trade, but he planted seeds from coast to coast Tuesday that he'd like to play next season in San Diego. Kitna did interviews with a San Diego newspaper and radio station and on ESPN radio. Chargers GM A.J. Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune he would not call the Bengals but would listen should they call him about Kitna. Kitna also told a Seattle radio station that he would be a good fit in the San Francisco offense once the 49ers released Jeff Garcia , which they did Tuesday night.

SF has Tim Rattay, who did well enough in Garcia's absence to have people saying Garcia should've stayed on the bench, so I don't see that. SD is possible, but he'd likely just end up in the same situation, seat-warmer for (in this case) Manning.

From what Jon's said, it sounds like he wants a starter's job, so I don't see him going anywhere as the No. 2. Might as well stay in Cincy in that case.

On a related note, here's a bit from one of Mort's recent chats on espn:

MATT (DALLAS): Do you think the Cowboys will go after Jon Kitna? If not, which if any available qb will they go after?

Chris Mortensen: I think Kitna will get some interesting action and the Cowboys certainly make sense. I'm also not ruling out Vinny Testaverde, if the Jets let him go.

I could see Kitna flourishing under a Parcells offense; the Tuna knows how to use QBs who are smart but not overly-gifted physically (see Simms, Phil).

Cowboys will have to look somewhere for a Quarterback..

They missed terribly on Chad Hutchinson...( Drew Henson..??) But doubt that they go after Kitna,...Parcells is more of a draft guy than a Free Agent guy....Parcells will probably fill his need for a quarterback in the draft, especially since the Dolphins have A.J.Feely now, Phil Rivers would look awfully tempting to the Tuna at 24....

Dillon and Kitna to Oakland , for just a second rounder..???

They'd have to send us 2 picks this year.. a 2nd. and a 3rd.. and a conditional pick next year ...but that's just my opinion..

Also... Al Davis is gonna stick with Gannon for his final year,and Marques Tuiasasopo will be given a shot to beat out Gannon this year...(Al Davis-Nfl Network interview..)

My preference would be for Kitna to stay here as a back - up to Palmer. I think it would be a benefit to the team to have a back up that knows the offense as well as he does, and it would most likely help smooth the transition to Palmer in the clubhouse.

Having said that if he were to be traded, I think there would be a couple of teams that would show an interest. Dolphins - they cut Griese and Fiedler, and were courting Brunnell heavily. Redskins took care of that though. Bears - Cut Stewart and Grossman has an injured hand that he doesn't want to have surgery on. 49'ers - Rattays not doing badly, but nobody seems sure of him. Chargers - Nobody seems sure of anything.

As to Dallas being a possible destination, ...... maybe for Dillon, but I doubt for Kitna. I agree with Chris. Parcells likes to pick his own and abuse him to maturity.

Remember when Parcells got Bledsoe ??? He had been beating the hell out of him all pre season about something or other, and when Bledsoe finally did get it Parcells stood in the middle of the field and told the offense something to the affect of ...... OK now .. everybody come over here and bow down to Drew ...... he did something right.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who offers what for Kitna if it goes that way.

Before I comment on Kitna...anyone interested should check out the NFL Draft Coverage link on nfl.com, use that to check out the Pro Day workouts, scroll down and see how Bengals possible picks Vince Wilfork, Jonathan Vilma, and DJ Williams did in their workouts. Vilma especially seemed impressive, very strong 23 reps, fast, and a great vertical leap. Williams was not far behind, and the Canes actually had a linebacker run a 4.3 40 time!!!

As for Kitna, I'd love to see him stay. He had mentioned wanting to go to San Diego if he could start, but the Charges just signed Flutie to a 3 year deal so it seems unlikely that they'd give Kitna a shot at starting. The biggest thing he can contribute in Cincy is to be a mentor to Palmer as far as being a professional in the NFL. The Bengals coaching staff will have more impact on teaching Palmer the offense and preparing him to play, but its Kitna who can show Palmer the little things to get by in the NFL. Personally I think the Bengals could have waited a little longer to get Palmer in there, but sooner or later the question has to be answered. At least he now has a year under his belt in the offense.

If Kitna does go, I hope he goes somewhere where he can start, and that the Bengals get a great pick in the draft as compensation.

As for Kitna, I'd love to see him stay. He had mentioned wanting to go to San Diego if he could start, but the Charges just signed Flutie to a 3 year deal so it seems unlikely that they'd give Kitna a shot at starting

SD is a dicey situation. If it wasn't for the pressure on Marty, then I'd suggest that maybe Kitna go there to start and they can focus more on other positions. But with Marty on the hot seat now, I bet they'll pick up a QB and Kitna is out of the equation too.

dillon and kitna don't blend. cd can't stand a passing offense. think about it. his attitude went down hill fast when bratkowski arrived and went to the passing game. personnally hope kit wins a super bowl. do you really think manning is worth that bull s...t contract he signed. could manning do better here in cincy than kit? no way. over paid and under performed.

Man are you Crazy...??? Manning has thrown for over 25,000 yards in his 6 seasons. He is the Real Deal when it comes to quarterbacks.....

This is what I call... classic Player Hating !!!.......If Manning was here... could you Imagine how different the last 6 years would have been..??? Manning... Dillon.... add in Chad Johnson for the last couple of years..??? That is one scary offense... I can only hope, that Palmer does what he has always done, played QB pretty darn well....

But to make sure I answer that Question... Hell friggin yeah Manning deserves that much money....... :lol::lol::D

He is the Real Deal when it comes to quarterbacks.....

Yeah. It was oh so real when he fell apart in the Championship game when they started mixing the blitz up on that overpaid country boy. And guess what...his brother is no smarter. NO ONE IN THE NFL IS MORE OVERPAID THAN PEYTON MANNING!!!

After he dissected KC, I thought...wow! What a QB!!

The very next game I was wondering, what the f**k was I thinkin!?! Rattle this punk one iota, and he falls apart! I hope Carson is his opposite. Otherwise we will NEVER visit the Super Bowl! <_<

Somebody I saw explained it this way: it's all about the stadium. The Colts have the smallest stadium in the league, and need a new one. They don't think they could get a new stadium if they didn't have Payton Manning on the team.

If they hadn't written a new contract with Manning, they'd have had to pay him more than 18 million just to keep him. That's more than half of his signing bonus right there, and it would have just been wasted - they would have had to resign him next year.

In addition, the Colts needed to bring down Mannings cap number. If he counted as $18.4 million, they'd have had to cut all kinds of people. So they wanted to write a long contract, and back-load the money. How do I know that? Well, a $98m contract over seven years should pay him an average of $14 million/year. But they say that under this new contract, he now only counts for $8 million. That extra $6 million has to show up somewhere, so its probably been pushed to the 7th year of the contract.

Of course, Manning (or his agent) knows that, and knows that Manning will probably never see that money. He'd get cut or forced to renegotiate long before they'd pay him $20 million/ year. So why should they sign? That's where the bonus comes in. It's not really a "bonus", it's just a guaranteed advance on the rest of the contract. Because it's guaranteed, even if they cut him 5 years from now, he gets to keep the part of the bonus that was advanced from the 6th and 7th years. That's why cutting somebody can raise their cap number - because it accelerates the part of his bonus that was allocated to the voided years.

So, is Manning worth $8m this year, plus a $26m down-payment on future years? If you need a new stadium, I guess so. Manning has the respect around the league, and he has the numbers. He just doesn't have the ring.

Oh, as for the championship game: the Patriot defense took apart a lot of QBs this year, not just Manning. IMO, The problem with Manning is that he's stubborn. He wants to beat you with his arm. The Pats were giving him the run, and taking away the pass, and he just would not accept that. You see it all the time with "strong-arm" QBs - it isn't enough for them to win the game, they want to do it with a big passing play.

Manning is worth every penny the Colts can spend on him. He's only going to keep getting better...right before the awful championship game he had the 2 best QB'd games in playoff history. The Patriots did what they did to a lot of other decent offenses and that was to mix up the coverages, knock the hell out of the receivers so they were scared to try and fight for the ball in the air, and cheat just enough to throw everyone's timing off. Its why Belichek is such a great coach.

As for his brother...he is every bit the QB Peyton is. The team that lands him can pencil themselves into the playoffs in 2 to 3 years. Maybe he lands in SD and gets himself in with a good young offense. Kinda like what happened to Peyton...ended up in awful Indy, starting right away, then next thing you know you got Edgerin James, and Marvin Harrison, and a potent offense.

Manning is worth every penny the Colts can spend on him. He's only going to keep getting better...right before the awful championship game he had the 2 best QB'd games in playoff history.

Oh yeah. It had nothing to do with those teams he beat in those two games, right? Puhleeze!! Manning is a TOOL!! :rolleyes:

Hey, I just put "Kitna" into google's news search, and found an article on STLtoday.com about the Rams. Near the end, talking about Drew Henson, it says:

Our idea? Release Kurt Warner after June 1, to spread the cap hit over two years, after fetching a veteran like Jon Kitna. Then you let Bulger and Kitna fight it out with none of hoopla that a Warner-Bulger "competition" would generate.

From what I can tell about Mike Martz, that seems pretty unlikely to me. Still, this is on the website for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, apparently a reputable newspaper. For what it's worth...

kirk, Manning deserves that money in so many fashions it's ridiculous....

1. He's the best at his position.

2. He plays a sport that the average nfl player only lasts' 3 seasons.

3. You have to play a minimum 4 years to receive a full pension from the league.

4. His career numbers at his stage are better than any other QB in history.

5. They need him there to convince their respective Market share to approve a better playing facility...

6. Also you got to look at it like this.....We work regular jobs and hope to have careers that last 30 years, then retire and hope to have planned well enough to live well when we do..Our salaries and incomes were based upon 30 years of work.Nfl players only last so long, and have to be able to spread a short term income ( life of contracts that aren't guaranteed) for those same 30 years we look at.

Billy: Do you really wish that Carson Palmer doesn't turn out like him...?? maybe this will help.

96 career starts.

24887 career passing yards in 6 seasons.

5 straight 4000 yard seasons...nfl record.

9 career rushing touchdowns.

167 career touchdown passes.= 28 a year.

110 career interceptions.= 18 a year.

63 % career completion percentage.

sacked only 126 times = 21 times a year.

Has never missed a start.

Career passer rating of 88.1.....

Can you honestly tell me that you don't want Carson Palmer to put up these numbers..? Or better yet..? IF, CP does put up those numbers over his next 6 seasons... how big do you think his signing bonus will have to be to keep him in Cincinnati..???

Billy: Do you really wish that Carson Palmer doesn't turn out like him...?? maybe this will help.

All except for his predisposition to CHOKING!! Man, he looked SO bad in his loss to the Pats, then in the Pro Bowl! I used to be in his band of worshippers! No more. I recognize a choker when I see one. Usually it's a little more obvious. They're wearing a Philadelphia Eagles uniform! :lol:

kirk, Manning deserves that money in so many fashions it's ridiculous....

1. He's the best at his position.

2. He plays a sport that the average nfl player only lasts' 3 seasons.

3. You have to play a minimum 4 years to receive a full pension from the league.

4. His career numbers at his stage are better than any other QB in history.

5. They need him there to convince their respective Market share to approve a better playing facility...

6. Also you got to look at it like this.....We work regular jobs and hope to have careers that last 30 years, then retire and hope to have planned well enough to live well when we do..Our salaries and incomes were based upon 30 years of work.Nfl players only last so long, and have to be able to spread a short term income ( life of contracts that aren't guaranteed) for those same 30 years we look at.

96 career starts.

24887 career passing yards in 6 seasons.

5 straight 4000 yard seasons...nfl record.

9 career rushing touchdowns.

167 career touchdown passes.= 28 a year.

110 career interceptions.= 18 a year.

63 % career completion percentage.

sacked only 126 times = 21 times a year.

Has never missed a start.

Career passer rating of 88.1.....

Can you honestly tell me that you don't want Carson Palmer to put up these numbers..? Or better yet..? IF, CP does put up those numbers over his next 6 seasons... how big do you think his signing bonus will have to be to keep him in Cincinnati..???

I'm not saying Manning deserves it more than anyone else. NO ONE deserves that much money in any sport, in any fashion of entertainment, in any government office, in any corporation.

We work regular jobs and hope to have careers that last 30 years, then retire and hope to have planned well enough to live well when we do..Our salaries and incomes were based upon 30 years of work.Nfl players only last so long, and have to be able to spread a short term income ( life of contracts that aren't guaranteed) for those same 30 years we look at.

This is exactly why players should be forced to finish college.

Forced!?! That sounds kinda extreme to me. If any segment of society can be forced into something, I just don't think that's right. Maybe an added incentive could be the answer to this tough question. :o

Forced!?! That sounds kinda extreme to me. If any segment of society can be forced into something, I just don't think that's right. Maybe an added incentive could be the answer to this tough question. :o

Such as an income to live off when you retire?

Such as an income to live off when you retire?

No. Obviously if that meant anything to them in school, they wouldn't be quitting BEFORE they graduate. I think something more immediate and tangible. I really don't have the answer either. :blink: