NFL Playoff scenarios

jjakq27

Ideal scenario would go like this;Denver loses 1 more game( probably against the Chargers)Cincinnati wins out and gets the #2 seed. New England(4 seed) beats the Jaguars(5 seed) in the first round and upset the Colts(1 seed) in the second round. Pittsburgh(6 seed) beats Denver in the first round and host Cincinnati in Cincy. The Bengals kill the Steelers and will face the Patriots at Paul Brown Stadium for the AFC championship game. Bengals get past New England and make it to their third Super Bowl appearance, where they will face either Seattle or Chicago( now that Grossman is starting)and win the Super Bowl Championship :cheers:

Ideal scenario would go like this;Denver loses 1 more game( probably against the Chargers)Cincinnati wins out and gets the #2 seed. New England(4 seed) beats the Jaguars(5 seed) in the first round and upset the Colts(1 seed) in the second round. Pittsburgh(6 seed) beats Denver in the first round and host Cincinnati in Cincy. The Bengals kill the Steelers and will face the Patriots at Paul Brown Stadium for the AFC championship game. Bengals get past New England and make it to their third Super Bowl appearance, where they will face either Seattle or Chicago( now that Grossman is starting)and win the Super Bowl Championship :cheers:

Sounds great, but if Pitt. beats Denver they'd have to go to Indy 'cause they're the lowest seed. The Bengals would get NE. I think I'd rather play Denver than NE right now.

So the playoffs never go into a bracket format; whoever has the lowest seed after the first round plays the #1 seed. I thought #1 plays the winner of #4 and #5,and #2 plays the winner of #3 and #6. If that is the case ignore my entire post.

Highest plays lowest and the in-betweens play each other during the first weekend and then they reshuffle under the same premise for the second week as well.

There is no longer any rule about when you can play against your division either. That went away when they switched to six teams per conference.

Here's a pretty complete rundown of the various AFC playoff scenarios from the guys at stillers.com, who are understandably concerned...

http://www.stillers.com/articles/1621.aspx

Good stuff. The way I see it, this is the most ideal scenario:

JAX: Lose to either HOU or TEN… (11-5), Conf (8-4)

PIT: Beat CLE and DET… (11-5), Conf (7-5)

SD: Beat KC and DEN… (11-5), Conf (9-3)

This is where the Steelers lose out. The first tiebreaker for 3 teams is head to head sweep, but this does not hold here. The next is Conference record. SD gets the #5 seed. Then it goes to the 2 team tiebreaker, this being head to head. By virtue of the loss to Jacksonville, the Steelers would be out of the playoffs.

I'm not scared of the Steelers, but the worst team headed to the playoffs is the Jags, hands down. They don't have Leftwich, they are barely beating terrible teams... and are a Florida team, not used to the cold where they will have to travel. They will be the easiest playoff win.

If SD gets the #5 seed, they will go to NE, and Den will beat Jax. This means that either SD or NE will go to Indy... two teams that we all know have a good shot to beat them... and then if we beat Denver, the AFC championship game is in Cincy. We could have all of our playoff games in Cincy this way, and this is our best shot at the superbowl in my opinion.

Here's a pretty complete rundown of the various AFC playoff scenarios from the guys at stillers.com, who are understandably concerned...

http://www.stillers.com/articles/1621.aspx

Good stuff. The way I see it, this is the most ideal scenario:

JAX: Lose to either HOU or TEN… (11-5), Conf (8-4)

PIT: Beat CLE and DET… (11-5), Conf (7-5)

SD: Beat KC and DEN… (11-5), Conf (9-3)

This is where the Steelers lose out. The first tiebreaker for 3 teams is head to head sweep, but this does not hold here. The next is Conference record. SD gets the #5 seed. Then it goes to the 2 team tiebreaker, this being head to head. By virtue of the loss to Jacksonville, the Steelers would be out of the playoffs.

I'm not scared of the Steelers, but the worst team headed to the playoffs is the Jags, hands down. They don't have Leftwich, they are barely beating terrible teams... and are a Florida team, not used to the cold where they will have to travel. They will be the easiest playoff win.

If SD gets the #5 seed, they will go to NE, and Den will beat Jax. This means that either SD or NE will go to Indy... two teams that we all know have a good shot to beat them... and then if we beat Denver, the AFC championship game is in Cincy. We could have all of our playoff games in Cincy this way, and this is our best shot at the superbowl in my opinion.

Completely agree. We should have beaten the Jags earlier. I feel we are a much better team now and they aren't nearly as tough, especially with Leftwich out(even though he may be back for the playoffs). But I would love to beat the Steelers at home in the playoffs, just to put a final nail in their coffin would be great. That would show that we are the true kings of the AFC North. :king:

Well now that we're out of the running for the first round bye, here's where we stand, If I am understanding everything correctly...

Remaining schedule for contenders with unclinched seeding:

CIN - @ KC

PIT - DET

NE - @NYJ, MIA

KC - CIN

If the Bengals lose @ Kansas City and the Patriots win out, then they win the tiebreaker for conference record and get the #3 seed, while we drop to #4.

If the Bengals lose @ Kansas City and the Patriots lose either of their final two games, the Bengals clinch the #3 seed, while the Patriots take the #4 spot.

If the Bengals win at Kansas City, they clinch the #3 seed, while the Patriots take the #4 spot.

If the Steelers somehow lose to the Lions and the Chiefs beat the Bengals, then the Chiefs secure the #6 seed, and the Steelers stay home, due to the conference record tiebreaker favoring the Chiefs.

If the Steelers beat the Lions, they secure the #6 seed, and the Chiefs stay home.

If any of the above is incorrect, please say so.

-------------------

I believe the best possible scenario, aside from the Steelers missing the playoffs all together (highly doubtful), is the Bengals land the #4 seed, and host the Jaguars during the first week of the playoffs.

If the Steelers somehow lose to the Lions and the Chiefs beat the Bengals, then the Chiefs secure the #6 seed, and the Steelers stay home, due to the conference record tiebreaker favoring the Chiefs.

The Chiefs also need the Broncos to beat the Chargers. If they do, then the Chiefs and Steelers tie, and the Chiefs get the tiebreaker. However, if the Chargers win, there is a three-way tie. The Steelers win this 3-way tie because they have a the best head-to-head-to-head record in this threesome.

The Chiefs also need the Broncos to beat the Chargers. If they do, then the Chiefs and Steelers tie, and the Chiefs get the tiebreaker. However, if the Chargers win, there is a three-way tie. The Steelers win this 3-way tie because they have a the best head-to-head-to-head record in this threesome.

There is no "head-to-head-to-head record in this threesome", the Steelers and KC didn't play one another, but it wouldn't matter even if they had.

In a three way tie that includes two teams from the same division the FIRST step is to eliminate one of the teams from that division.

So the Chargers would lose out to the Chiefs before the Steelers would even be considered.

The Chiefs' conference record tiebreaker would get them in ...

First by eliminating the Chargers which would then leave them in a two way tie with the Steelers.

Then by being the tiebreaker over the Steelers in the two way tie.

If the Chiefs win and the Steelers lose they do not need the Broncos to beat the Chargers, they would be in and the Steeler would be sent home either way.

Here's the deal per espn.com...

The Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with:

1. A win

2. A Chiefs loss or tie

3. A Chargers win (note: although Chargers have been eliminated, if they win vs. Broncos and they, the Chiefs and the Steelers all finish at 10-6, you would break division ties first. Chargers would win tiebreaker vs. Chiefs based on common opponents (8-4 vs 7-5) and that would eliminate the Chiefs. They would then go to tiebreaker vs. Steelers, which Pittsburgh would win based on its head-to-head win vs. Chargers)

I stand corrected ...

It is strange but with in a division the common games tiebreaker comes before the conference record tiebreaker.

What makes it strange is that it is the other way around for the regular wildcard tiebreaker.

Well maybe it is not so strange since teams in the same division all play the same teams except for two games.

In any case SD would have the tiebreaker over KC due to common games and of course the Steelers have the head to head over SD which is the first tiebreaker once it is down to two teams.

So KC WOULD need the Broncos to beat SD even if they win and the Steelers lose.

Sorry about that ...

But what the heck, the Steelers arn't going to lose to the Lions at home anyway, are they ?

I think that it most likely is going to be the Steeler @ the Pats and the Jags @ the Bengals in the first round.

That would suite me just fine. B)

The latest Playoff scenarios from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9055604

And possible seeding combinations for the AFC.

http://www.superbowl.com/playoffs/features/seeding/afc

hey Bengals you are safe we are gona play vs PATS THEN COLTS AND BRONCOS

Steelers all the way to XL :lmao::sure:

BENGALS THE CRSPY CREMA TEAM

UMMMMMMM......IF THIS IS TRUE...I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR YA.................IN THAT ORDER. :bengal:

The latest Playoff scenarios from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9055604

And possible seeding combinations for the AFC.

http://www.superbowl.com/playoffs/features/seeding/afc

hey Bengals you are safe we are gona play vs PATS THEN COLTS AND BRONCOS

Steelers all the way to XL :lmao::sure:

BENGALS THE CRSPY CREMA TEAM

UMMMMMMM......IF THIS IS TRUE...I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR YA.................IN THAT ORDER. :bengal:

Yes You`re iin a SAFE PLACE BENGALS HOME :rolleyes: Watching the XL Steelers Wolrd Chamaps :sure:

BILIVE¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

post-1780-1135876818_thumb.jpg