First Leftwich, Now Meester

HoosierCat

Jags' Meester could be done for season

By MARK LONG, AP Sports Writer

December 7, 2005

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Jaguars center Brad Meester, who has started every game in his six-year career, could miss the rest of the season with a torn left biceps.

Meester injured the muscle during the first half of Sunday's victory at Cleveland, but played the rest of the game. Tests later revealed the tear, leaving Meester to decide whether to have season-ending surgery or risk playing with the injury.

"He's trying to get all the information and make a good, sound decision," coach Jack Del Rio said Wednesday. "We're going to help him with that."

Del Rio said team doctors advised Meester that by delaying surgery and playing the rest of the season he risks never regaining full strength in the muscle. Surgery usually needs to be done within a week or two after the injury for a player to make a complete recovery.

"I've encouraged Brad to do the right thing," Del Rio said. "I don't want him to feel like he's got to do it for the team and jeopardize his career. I think he wants to do it for the team, but I think he has to take a good, hard look at what he has and whether that's wise or not."

Meester has started a franchise-record 92 consecutive games. He missed practice Wednesday, leaving the majority of the repetitions to Dennis Norman.

A seventh-round draft pick by Seattle in 2001, Norman could start Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts and their formidable defensive line. Tackles Montae Reagor, Corey Simon and Larry Tripplett, and ends Raheem Brock, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis have combined for 34 1/2 sacks this season.

Norman played in two games during his three-plus seasons with the Seahawks. Seattle waived him after four games in 2004, and the Jaguars signed him last December.

He has played in 11 games for the Jaguars (9-3) this year, mostly on special teams, although he saw some action at guard against the New York Jets when Chris Naeole was injured.

"I've been looking forward to this opportunity for a while," Norman said. "Now I have to make the most of it."

Ouch. Oww oww oww owww. Talk about bad timing for the Jags...

Confirmed today that Mester will have the surgery and is gone for the season. Losing both your stating C and QB (and if rumor is to be believed Leftwich won't be healthy enough to play by Jan) has to put a big crimp in their playoff chances. Then again, there was that Jeff Hostetler thing with the Giants...