Another great draft

duus

I know it's been discussed, highlighted, etc., but reading this snippet from ESPN's site made me simply want to extend a few more kudos to the way of Coach Lewis and his staff. The 2005 draft is proving yet again that these guys know talent!

Hey Coach ... Thanks Again! You've truly helped make my 2005 one of the most memorable years of my life. And just for a little pressure :rolleyes: ... I'm now expecting the first month of 2006 to top that!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bengals' class a keeper

Judging from its play on Sunday afternoon, Cincinnati's 2005 draft class might be a keeper. First-round pick David Pollack, who missed much of camp and has struggled at times in his debut season, notched a sack of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the Steelers' final series. Starting middle linebacker Odell Thurman, a second-round pick and strong candidate for defensive rookie of the year honors, registered 10 tackles, an interception, one pass defensed and a forced fumble. Third-round wide receiver Chris Henry had five catches for 52 yards. Sixth-round wideout Tab Perry had five kickoff returns for an average of 39.4 yards and his scintillating 94-yard runback, on which he carried Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor for 27 yards, helped the Bengals quickly retain the lead after Pittsburgh had tied the game at 24-24. Seventh-round defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene, who dressed for the first time all season, had just one tackle but was consistently disruptive.

Good post.

From what we've seen so far, it appears Odell and Henry will be the best players, while Tab will be a great value pick, and Pollack will be solid too. Gotta love Marvin.

Once again I want to point out the draft contributions of Tobin and John Cooper. As a Michigan graduate, I love John Cooper but I have to admit it was hard not to notice that he seemed to be the best judge of talent in the NCAA (the number of his recruits who have made it in the NFL must be the highest for this decade). Cooper was a consultant at the request of Mike Brown before Lewis came (the year they drafted Levi Jones) and has continued in that role. I know that Marvin and his coaching staff have had the final decision in most cases, but I'm sure Cooper and Tobin have made contributions.

I think we will be in the situation where ALL of these draft picks are making big contributions in two years. Pollack, Odell, Henry, and Perry are already there. Fanene will definitely be in the DT/DE rotation next year and Guichoc will be Richie's replacement next year. That only leaves Keift, and like Gathers last year, he got a lot of press for being a steal at the spot we got him. If he really is the bomb then he'll be the #1 back-up at OT by year #3.

I'd take the analysis one step further and include several undrafted players. Add Ben Wilkerson to the mix because he's clearly a potential starter if he can regain his form. I fully expect Braham to return, which would relegate Wilkerson and Ghiacuic to providing depth for another season, but that's a very good thing. In addition, Patrick Body has made a late season push and is now a factor in the defensive backfield, and he may be joined this year or next by Indiana Jones. Their presence, when coupled with other young secondary players like Brooks and Bauman, potentially frees up the Bengals next draft and may allow them to address other positions of need or simply draft the best players available.

Yep, and what all this allows is for Marvin and Co. to begin addressing depth as well. That's the key. Build the foundation, then add depth. Foundation is apparently there, with typical key spots to still fill. But depth can be addressed beginning next year too. This is where you separate yourself, and begin to look more like teams such as Patriots and Steelers of the past few years.

Oh, how sweet it is! How bright is this future. Nice. I think we should all begin wearing shades to the games ... 65,000 screaming fans with dark shades. Sweet. Thanks Marvin!

Another major thing that needs noting this year. We've done quite well on the injury front. Other than losing Madieu, the team has remained in much better shape this time around than in years past. Maybe all that focus on core strengthening this offseason and those fancy new machines have helped.

And isn't it great to be in this time of the season, and not have umpteen threads about who we need to draft next year? No time to worry about the draft when your team's in the middle of the playoff picture!

Yeah, and not having a draft pick in the top 10 complicates matters for us draftniks. :sure:

To be honest, I'll admit that I've got my ear to the ground already but I won't bother wading very deep into most draft discussions until the juniors declare and come out.

And isn't it great to be in this time of the season, and not have umpteen threads about who we need to draft next year? No time to worry about the draft when your team's in the middle of the playoff picture!

Yeah, and not having a draft pick in the top 10 complicates matters for us draftniks. :sure:

To be honest, I'll admit that I've got my ear to the ground already but I won't bother wading very deep into most draft discussions until the juniors declare and come out.

haha it is nice not having to look forward to the draft from oh... october but like hair ill start following once the bowls wrap up and the underclass men declare

Seventh-round defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene, who dressed for the first time all season, had just one tackle but was consistently disruptive.

Anyone else really like this guy? He was getting pressure on the QB every single time he was in the game. I like the combination of Geathers, Shaun Smith, Fanene, and Justin Smith...that's a lot of speed and a lot of pass rush.

Seventh-round defensive lineman Jonathan Fanene, who dressed for the first time all season, had just one tackle but was consistently disruptive.

Anyone else really like this guy? He was getting pressure on the QB every single time he was in the game. I like the combination of Geathers, Shaun Smith, Fanene, and Justin Smith...that's a lot of speed and a lot of pass rush.

I like the fact that he was athletic enough to play QB in high school and fast enough to outrun a lot of guys, as his 76 yd interception return against Utah State showed/

Let's review all of Marvin's draft picks to date....

Round 1 - Carson Palmer - This needs no analysis

2 - Eric Steinbach - Easily a top ten guard in the NFL

3 - Kelley Washington - Days as a Bengal are numbered

4 - Dennis Weathersby - Talented player that crossed paths with one too many black cats

4 - Jeremi Johnson - Easily a top 10 fullback in the NFL

5 - Khalid Abdullah - Never made much of an impact

6 - Langston Moore - Flashed solid ability but no longer a Bengal

7 - Scott Kooistra - Solid depth on the offensive line

7 - Elton Patterson - Failed to make the cut in 2005

Total - 9 picks, 3 current starters, 2 others still on roster

1 - Chris Perry - Did nothing in his first season but has emerged as possibly the best third down back in football

2 - Keiwan Ratliff - Rounds out a solid cornerback corps, great in the nickle

2 - Madieu Williams - Top 3 safety in the AFC

3 - Caleb Miller - Has proven solid when healthy

3 - Landon Johnson - Rather streaky, but solid starter at linebacker

4 - Matthias Askew - Supposedly talented, but has yet to contribute

4 - Robert Geathers - Solid roleplayer, has struggled some as a starter

4 - Stacey Andrews - Beastly player being groomed to perhaps replace Big Willie someday

5 - Maurice Mann - Never contributed

6 - Greg Brooks - Practice squad guy so far, has flashed potential

7 - Casey Bramlet - Solid 3rd stringer that was robbed of his job

Total - 11 picks, 3 starters, 5 others still on roster, 1 on practice squad

1 - David Pollack - Rather disappointing as of yet, looks to be improving

2 - Odell Thurman - Awesome player, will see many Pro Bowls

3 - Chris Henry - developing into one of the best 3rd receivers in the NFL

4 - Eric Ghiaciuc - Hasn't played much, but has been solid when given the chance

5 - Adam Kieft - Injured before his rookie year

6 - Tab Perry - Already a solid kick returner, could end up a solid receiver in time

7 - Johnathan Fanene - Just began playing last week, and played well

Total - 7 picks, 1 starter, 3 backups, 1 special teamer

All in all, Marvin has had 27 draft picks. Seven of them are currently starting, and many more are doing vey well as role-players. Add them to the free agents he's brought in on defense, and you gotta give him many thumbs ups. :thumbsup:

Mel Kiper ought to bow to Marvin and pay homage to his greatness. :bow::drool:

:bengal:

Oh, how sweet it is! How bright is this future. Nice. I think we should all begin wearing shades to the games ... 65,000 screaming fans with dark shades. Sweet. Thanks Marvin!

You must be speaking of the song by that "Super Group" :rolleyes: from the early '90's Timbuk 3 My futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!

We got a crazy coach, he wears dark glasses:

marvinsshades8ob.jpg

I study NFL Football, I love my Bengals,

We got a crazy coach, he wears dark glasses,

Things are going great, and they're only getting better!

The team's doin' all right, making great plays,

Our future's so bright, we gotta wear shades.

They got a game waiting, in the post season,

They going to Detroit, for a very good reason,

Well we're heavenly blessed, quarterback wise,

gotta cannon for an arm, and his head's on right,

Things are going great, and they're only getting better.

I study NFL Football, I love my Bengals,

We got a crazy coach, he wears dark glasses,

Yeah, we gotta wear shades...