Palmer says Colts are soft

Jet23

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He called them a "finesse team" which is simple truth. If Colts fans complain about that, then those fans are homer bastards. Carson also called the Bengals a "physical team." I think that we are more physical than Indy, but we have a lot of finesse to our game too.

Here's the link to the Palmer's actual statement: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4819

He called them a "finesse team" which is simple truth. If Colts fans complain about that, then those fans are homer bastards. Carson also called the Bengals a "physical team." I think that we are more physical than Indy, but we have a lot of finesse to our game too.

Here's the link to the Palmer's actual statement: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4819

Well, apparently the Dolt fans don't like to be called a finesse team.

Football teams don't want to called a finesse team. They want to be know as a tough, physical team. Call it a manhood thing, but to call a team a "finesse team" is considered as a lack of respect by the players. Yes, the definition makes the comment complimentary, but in football, it is considered a slap in the face. Football teams don't like that label.

Football teams don't want to called a finesse team. They want to be know as a tough, physical team. Call it a manhood thing, but to call a team a "finesse team" is considered as a lack of respect by the players. Yes, the definition makes the comment complimentary, but in football, it is considered a slap in the face. Football teams don't like that label.

You're probably right. I'm sure you will hear Carson offer a clarification statement.

I am sure Carson did not mean that the way it came out... or maybe he did? :blink: But, I agree... most players in the NFL consider it as a slap in the face. Players liken that to being called soft. Especially when it is used the way he used it. Calling the Bengals a physical team and the Colts a finesse team. It doesn't sound right. You would agree had a Colts player said the same thing about the Bengals.

One thing that I did like about Carson and Chad... was last season, when your Bengals were not doing so good, on their BYE they came to Indy to watch the Colts play the Vikings... so they could watch how Peyton and Marvin work together. That to me shows real class and respect! (By the way... Edge hooked them up with the tickets! They sat with Edge's family). So, I will forgive Carson for his comments... sometimes the media asks questions that set them up to answer questions like that and they can not back down and say "The Colts are the better team" because it would be like admitting defeat. IMO. I can not say that the Colts players will feel the same way... because all teams use what is said in the media to get hyped up... So, I hope your O-Line is as good as everyone says it is! :cheers: Here's to a good game! With NO injuries on either end!

they seriously think Palmer is going to be sacked 4-5x.

I think that is a real possibility, and i am worried. We have a great offensive line, but they can struggle against speed, which is what both Freeney and Mathis thrive on.

How many sacks have the Bengals given up this year? I'm not too worried about that aspect of their game. In fact, I hope they bring it because that would mean more hot routs to check down recievers like Perry who, once out in the open field can make things happen. (I am a big Perry fan)

As to calling them finesse. Let us just compare RBs and see who is more finesse. While Edgerrin, I will never call him "Edge" that is the stupidest nickname ever, is more of a complete back than Rudi ever will be, Rudi does one thing the James could never do. Run up the middle and bang it, time and time again. James is not built to do that. Sure, he can swing out and make the pass game even more effective, but he will not run over anyone. Rudi can. That is just one example of why The Colts are a finesse team as compared to some of the players for The Bengals. There are others, but this is getting too long already.

Nice post Edge.

So give us the overall sentiment over there - Do most think it's going to be a blowout for the Colts, or are there any non homers who are a bit worried?

I am sure Carson did not mean that the way it came out... or maybe he did? :blink: But, I agree... most players in the NFL consider it as a slap in the face. Players liken that to being called soft. Especially when it is used the way he used it. Calling the Bengals a physical team and the Colts a finesse team. It doesn't sound right. You would agree had a Colts player said the same thing about the Bengals.

One thing that I did like about Carson and Chad... was last season, when your Bengals were not doing so good, on their BYE they came to Indy to watch the Colts play the Vikings... so they could watch how Peyton and Marvin work together. That to me shows real class and respect! (By the way... Edge hooked them up with the tickets! They sat with Edge's family). So, I will forgive Carson for his comments... sometimes the media asks questions that set them up to answer questions like that and they can not back down and say "The Colts are the better team" because it would be like admitting defeat. IMO. I can not say that the Colts players will feel the same way... because all teams use what is said in the media to get hyped up... So, I hope your O-Line is as good as everyone says it is! :cheers: Here's to a good game! With NO injuries on either end!

Here's to ya Edge. As a Mighty Bengals fan I respect your levelheadedness and class. Here's to a Great Game and NO INJURIES! on either side. Heck we might meet again in the playoffs!!

they seriously think Palmer is going to be sacked 4-5x.

I think that is a real possibility, and i am worried. We have a great offensive line, but they can struggle against speed, which is what both Freeney and Mathis thrive on.

How many sacks have the Bengals given up this year? I'm not too worried about that aspect of their game. In fact, I hope they bring it because that would mean more hot routs to check down recievers like Perry who, once out in the open field can make things happen. (I am a big Perry fan)

As to calling them finesse. Let us just compare RBs and see who is more finesse. While Edgerrin, I will never call him "Edge" that is the stupidest nickname ever, is more of a complete back than Rudi ever will be, Rudi does one thing the James could never do. Run up the middle and bang it, time and time again. James is not built to do that. Sure, he can swing out and make the pass game even more effective, but he will not run over anyone. Rudi can. That is just one example of why The Colts are a finesse team as compared to some of the players for The Bengals. There are others, but this is getting too long already.

I hope you are not serious about EDGE not running up the middle and banging it time and time again?? Do you watch Colt games? Do you watch Edge? Just for you... I looked back on the 3 games I have taped. I went through EVERY minute.

Raven/Colt game... 23 attempts for 88 yards... 15/23 attempts were up the middle.

Ram/Colt game... 23 attempts for 143 yards... 15/23 attempts were up the middle 2 for touchdowns

New England/Colt game... 34 attempts for 104 yards... 19/30 attempts were up the middle 1 for a TD.

I am a reasonable fan.. and I am not a homer! But, when you are wrong.. I will point out that you are wrong. I would love for you to just watch some Colt games and see how Edge breaks tackles and hits people. He is known as one of the best blockers (as a RB) in the NFL. He is also one of the best receiving running backs in the NFL.. and #2 in rushing as we speak. I could go into some numbers but I would probably bore you.

Edge is my favorite Colt.. so, I can go on and on all day about him... not opinions.. but facts! Edgerrin is a complete back. He has that triple threat... only LaDainian Tomlinson is better than him. Yes, he is better than Shaun Alexander simply based on the FACT that he is that triple threat. Alexander is a great rusher... and he scores TD's (NFC!!) but he can not block or receive! Edge has 3,000 yards up on Shaun and he has been in the NFL only one year longer... and Edge was hurt for 2 years.

I can take people underestimating the Colts defense... but, not EDGE!

Nice post Edge.

So give us the overall sentiment over there - Do most think it's going to be a blowout for the Colts, or are there any non homers who are a bit worried?

Well, of course we have homers who think the Colts will blow the Bengals away... but, the majority of us believe that it will be a good game... on both ends. I personally think it will be close. I will not even say the Colts will win. I did the same thing with the Patriots. I refuse to give predictions. That is just not me. Like I said.. I will be here the whole week... we can talk about our respective teams. I like to talk football... not all that childish... "My team will beat your team" crap!

Am I worried? I am worried about every game. The Bengals are no different from the Texans in my eyes. PLEASE do not think I am saying the Texans are better than the Bengals. That is not what I mean. I mean that every team is a threat! I do not care about records. I do not care how good a team is or how bad a team is. Every game is the same.

See, last year... the media hyped my beloved Colts up. I fell for it! I believed them when they said it was the Colts year! Then, we lose to the Patriots in the playoffs.. AGAIN! I do not listen to that mess anymore. It isnt worth it.

That is what I do not understand when fans of other teams wish they had the same media hype or "respect" as the Colts. It is not worth it! It is nothing but hype. It is a distraction to the team. There is nothing I would not give for the media to SHUT UP about my Colts. Believe me! When the Bengals are considered the "favorites" and the media does nothing but talk about them.. over and over and over again... you will understand! It is not an advantage!

Your Bengals are a good team! They are a fantastic team! I hope the Colts can pull off a win. It will be a hard game. The Bengals are more balanced than any team the Colts have played. We will see!

screw them they are a soft team yea they run the ball but they are in no way a power running team they run against teams that are in nickel packages because of the respect for manning. we will shut them down.

See, I am glad that you are just a Bengal fan... and not a Bengal player... because when the Bronco's called the Colts "SOFT" last year before the playoffs.... oh, well... maybe you should watch the game! See what happened the last time a team called the Colts soft!

edge that is what i see. i doubt that edge goes off this week for the reasons stated. the bengals corners will not require a nickel package and we will play straight up on peyton and edge. i am a huge hurricane fan and edge is a great player but some people on your board act like he will run all over the bengals and it will not be close which i doubt. are you telling me that the opponents this season have not played mostly a nickel package?

edge that is what i see. i doubt that edge goes off this week for the reasons stated. the bengals corners will not require a nickel package and we will play straight up on peyton and edge. i am a huge hurricane fan and edge is a great player but some people on your board act like he will run all over the bengals and it will not be close which i doubt. are you telling me that the opponents this season have not played mostly a nickel package?

Okay, what board are you on?? I need to know that first!

I don't think Carson should have called them a finesse team since Edge is one of the top rushers in the league and Freeny and Mathis are tops in sacks. This might motivate them to prove otherwise.

Oh come on, the Colts are a finesse team. They are smooth on offense. They have been for years now. Why is Edge having such a great year.....the same reason he always has a great year, teams respect the finesse part of their offensive attack so much their willing to slack on the run to avoid the big play down field. Now, quote me on this.....I am not saying the only reason Edge is successful is because of their pass attack.....I'm just saying, along with everyone who knows anything about football......the pass opens up the run as well as the run opening up the pass. But the colts run the ball to pass, not the other way around.

The main reason the colt's are a finesse team is because they pass the ball on 1st and goal on the 3 or 4 yard line. Other teams like pittsburgh and say the patriots (just to name a couple) will more than likely come straight at you 3 plays in a row. But not the colts, they are so smooth with the finesse part of the game they can more easily run those fades to harrison and wayne.

Now for their defense....freeny is the best defensive player in the league (nuff said) and mathis is pretty damn good himself. Overall, their defense "THIS YEAR" has been phenomenal. I stress "this year" because the only reason payton doesn't have a rock on his finger is fault to the colts' defense. It most certainly has not been as consistent the past few seasons. Nonetheless, this is still not significant enough to take away the "finesse" label they posess.

And finnally, the colts' have absolutely nothing to prove on Sunday.....at the moment they are the best team in football, so, I think Carson hit the nail right on the head.........and yes (whoever stated this on a previous post), it was a compliment.

can you post a link

http://forum.colts.com/

Those ANTI-COLT flags are BLINDING! :D

I don't think Carson should have called them a finesse team since Edge is one of the top rushers in the league and Freeny and Mathis are tops in sacks. This might motivate them to prove otherwise.

Oh come on, the Colts are a finesse team. They are smooth on offense. They have been for years now. Why is Edge having such a great year.....the same reason he always has a great year, teams respect the finesse part of their offensive attack so much their willing to slack on the run to avoid the big play down field. Now, quote me on this.....I am not saying the only reason Edge is successful is because of their pass attack.....I'm just saying, along with everyone who knows anything about football......the pass opens up the run as well as the run opening up the pass. But the colts run the ball to pass, not the other way around.

The main reason the colt's are a finesse team is because they pass the ball on 1st and goal on the 3 or 4 yard line. Other teams like pittsburgh and say the patriots (just to name a couple) will more than likely come straight at you 3 plays in a row. But not the colts, they are so smooth with the finesse part of the game they can more easily run those fades to harrison and wayne.

Now for their defense....freeny is the best defensive player in the league (nuff said) and mathis is pretty damn good himself. Overall, their defense "THIS YEAR" has been phenomenal. I stress "this year" because the only reason payton doesn't have a rock on his finger is fault to the colts' defense. It most certainly has not been as consistent the past few seasons. Nonetheless, this is still not significant enough to take away the "finesse" label they posess.

And finnally, the colts' have absolutely nothing to prove on Sunday.....at the moment they are the best team in football, so, I think Carson hit the nail right on the head.........and yes (whoever stated this on a previous post), it was a compliment.

I do not know if you watched the playoff game against the PATRIOTS/COLTS last year.. but, the DEFENSE showed up in the first half... the Offense did not establish the run early... they went straight for the pass... and Edge only got I believe 39 rushing yards the whole game. So, the defense was on the field A LOT!!!! This year... the Colts do not play the offense like that... they are much more balanced. They are RUNNING more the PASSING this year.

Like I said.. had a Colts player said the Colts were a physical team and the Bengals were a finesse team... you would see it differently!