Free agents/ cornerback

Harry J

With Chad and Willie getting a chance to smooze players during the Probowl, what "shutdown" corner would fit in best? I understand many of these players are restricted but so wasn't Spikes last year. I think we are willing to spend the money and getting a free agent corner would allow us to focus our draft to D line or LB. So who do you suggest making a run after?

Don't know if they will be able to resign Bailey if they sign Brunel. Bailey could possibly be on the Bengals. With Gibbs being an offensive coach, and the fact that the Redskins have an unbelievable amount of FA's this year, and Bailey has said that he wouldn't mind playing for Lewis again could play into the Bengals favor. I have a list of Redskins FA:

LS Ethan Albright UF Signed Thru 2003

CB Champ Bailey UF Signed Thru 2003

DT Martin Chase UF Signed Thru 2003

OL Lennie Friedman UF Signed Thru 2003

DT Bernard Holsey UF Signed Thru 2003

LB Orantes Grant UF Signed Thru 2003

WR Patrick Johnson UF Signed Thru 2003

LB Kevin Mitchell UF Signed Thru 2003

S David Terrell UF Signed Thru 2003

DL Peppi Zellner UF Signed Thru 2003

OL Wilbert Brown RF Signed Thru 2003

S Todd Frantz RF Signed Thru 2003

FB Bryan Johnson RF Signed Thru 2003

Wr Darnerien McCants RF Signed Thru 2003

S Infeanyi Ohalate RF Signed Thru 2003

LB Antonio Pierce RF Signed Thru 2003

CB Bruce Branch EF Signed Thru 2003

DE Ladarius Jackson EF Signed Thru 2003

LB Lemar Marshall EF Signed Thru 2003

I think with this many positions that have to be signed is a considerable amount don't you agree?

B

Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, Bailey!!!!!!!!! :o:o:o:o

Bailey's franchise price escalates

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

HOUSTON — It will cost the Washington Redskins a bit more than expected to place the franchise tag on cornerback Champ Bailey — about $6.8 million, according to figures recently released by the NFL Players Association.

Estimates for Bailey's tag had been a little more than $6 million, based on the 2002 cornerback franchise figure of $5.962 million. The tag's value is calculated by averaging the cap figures of the five highest-paid players at each position.

If the Redskins cannot agree to a long-term deal with Bailey in coming weeks, they will retain his rights with the tag — a qualifying one-year, $6.801 million offer. The tag must be applied between Feb. 10 and 24.

Cornerback carries the fourth-richest franchise tag. Quarterback ($9.958 million), wide receiver ($7.229 million) and offensive line ($7.021 million) are higher.

If tagged, Bailey's options in the free agent market would be severely limited. He could sign an offer sheet with one other club, but if Washington declined to match the offer sheet, his new team would have to surrender a pair of first-round picks.

Agent Jack Reale confirmed yesterday that there have been no further contract negotiations since Bailey rejected Washington's opening nine-year, $55 million offer in August. At the time, the sides paid lip service to restarting talks toward the end of the season. Washington instead used its remaining cap room on a nine-year, $68 million extension for linebacker LaVar Arrington.

Arrington's extension gives the Redskins leeway against the salary cap to franchise Bailey. The club is less than $6 million below the projected $79 million cap, but it can create significant room by cutting veterans. In jeopardy are Bruce Smith, Lional Dalton, Jessie Armstead, Larry Moore, Byron Chamberlain, Trung Canidate and Bryan Barker.

A negative effect of Arrington's extension, though, is that it set a floor for Bailey's negotiations. Although the merits of Arrington's contract have been questioned extensively in league circles, it is richer than the take it or leave it proposal Washington made to Bailey last summer.

Next week Bailey will play in his fourth Pro Bowl, Arrington his third.

Reale added that one of his clients, punter David Leaverton, a late entry into the punting competition Barker won in 2003 training camp, recently re-signed with the Redskins.

Don't know if they will be able to resign Bailey if they sign Brunel.  Bailey could possibly be on the Bengals.  With Gibbs being an offensive coach, and the fact that the Redskins have an unbelievable amount of FA's this year, and Bailey has said that he wouldn't mind playing for Lewis again could play into the Bengals favor.  I have a list of Redskins FA:

He wont leave....

We are looking at V.Wolfolk, K.Udez, C.Gamble, DJ.Williamsin this year's draft. assuming we get A solid CB C.Bailey, A.Winfield or A.Plummer. I would love to see us add 1st RD K.Udez DE

2nd RD D.Thomas MLB ( Auburn )

Sign 1 of the 3 CB listed

CB are now T.James, A.Winfield, D.Weathersby

LB are now B.Simmions OLB, D.Thomas MLB K.Hardy OLB

DE are now J.Smith & K.Udez

This set up helps against the run, pass rush & coverage in secondary

Do you resign both Becket and Roman at the safety position. I think maybe drafting S like Sean Jones somewhere in the draft to play for the Bengals. What about our oline problem. Need to get another G and C somewhere.

B

I would sign Becket but he needs to improve a little on his pass coverage. The guy can stop the run, which for the Bengals is a huge plus, but in 2003, he wasn't fast enough to recognize the deep pass.

I agree about offering Roman a tender offer, however, he greatly improved last season and broke up some passes that had me screamin' "Hell YEA!". So if his play continues to improve, I'd give him another short term contract and evaluate afterwards.

Champ is tooooooo expensive, ! Vincent too old. Taylor not as good as Vincent.  and  Winfield's play is being overrated by what his front 7 did for him. Winfield has yet to play like the playmaker he was at Ohio St.

Agree about Bailey and Taylor.

I don't know about Winfield though. He benefited form his front 7 no doubt, but he still had to be in coverage and postition himself to make the int's. He also brought a LOAD when he hit. One of the writers ... don't remember which one said that pound for pound, he was probably the best tackler on the Bills. I saw enough film of him on local broadcasts that I would have to agree. He's also got a great attitude. Local media usually don't talk to him because he's not one of the mouths that will give them something to write about. Winfield would be a great pick up. There's better out there, I won't argue that but he would be a definite upgrade for the defense.