When is Rudi Signing?

walzav29

Unless the Bengals drop a blockbuster offer on the table -- and while I love Rudi, let's remember that one good season does not a Pro Bowl RB make -- I fully expect Rudi to poke around a bit in FA first. He'll be a restricted FA and I'm sure the Bengals will offer him the max tender, meaning first-round compensation if someone makes him and offer and the Bengals don't match, but I don't look for Rudi to sign until late March.

If he does decide to check out FA then he couldn't be signed until the FA period begins which is March 3rd (maybe a day sooner or later, can't remember).

The mid-season extension Chad got makes me believe that something will be done before FA begins. They want to sign him to something reasonable now before some jerk-ass team like Cleveland raise the price by offering contracts. I hate Cleveland.. [did you see that, I found a way to show my disgust with Cleveland.]

The last thing this team needs is another first round budget breaking pine riding prima donna. Give me the middle rounders that make the roster because they have earned the position. :blink:

I want fifty undrafted free agents in camp all hungry, fighting and clawing to make the team. You could make a probowl roster with fellows like these (or maybe start one anyway).

The organization has a history of keeping high picks soley for that fact. I say go get the orphans that have a chip on theire shoulder, a whole lot of football heart and brains, and know how a unit is supposed to operate. :)

Doesn't that max tender get a 3rd rounder as well as a first? Hell that'd be more value than CD would get us. I would be surprised to see him make it to FA though, I have heard the Bengals are working on several contracts, Rudi's included so hopefully they'll clear up some space under the cap to sign some help for that defense.

The compensation for a tendered Restricted Free Agent starter would be a 1st. and a 3rd. like i said back in December.

Cincinnati faces the very real possiblity that if they don't sign Rudi to a long term contract and Dillon is traded away;That we could be faced with a completely new backfield come 2004.

That's what I thought....I don't think it would be a bad thing to lose Rudi for 1st and 3rd rounders...But that is a worst case scenario. I just don't see Coach Lewis letting both Rudi and Dillon go...The Bengals do hold the cards....They can match any offer they get for Rudi, and Dillon is under contract...

The compensation for a tendered Restricted Free Agent starter would be a 1st. and a 3rd. like i said back in December.

That...depends...on...the...tender...offer...

(Deep breath, Joisey, deep breath. No, you are surely NOT the only person on the planet who knows how an internet search engine works...)

Obviously, if the CBA is going to define a term for an "Unrestricted Free Agent", you would expect that they must also have something called a "Restricted Free Agent" (RFA). And, of course, you would be right. A RFA is "any Veteran player with three or more accrued seasons, but less than five accrued seasons (or less than four accrued seasons in any capped year)... At the expiration of his last Player Contract during such period... [the player] shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any club, and any club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, subject to... certain restrictions." The restrictions are the fun part.

The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $275,000 (or some slightly larger sum as defined by the league) for players with 3 accrued seasons or $325,000 (or some slightly larger sum as defined by the league) for players with four accrued seasons in uncapped years. 

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Player’s Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $605,000 OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater. 

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $1.318 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater. 

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $1.758 million OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater. 

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

(Deep breath, Joisey, deep breath. No, you are surely NOT the only person on the planet who knows how an internet search engine works...)

But Joisey, why use a search engine when we've got you? ;)

Yeah, it's based on the offer tendered, but you just know the Bengals are gonna give him the max offer just to be safe....a first rounder is one thing, but to give up 2 picks is pretty damn steep....It's a shame that Washington hired Gibbs, or they might be crazy enough to do it.....Think about it, 3 extra picks on the first day(with the thinking that they could get a 2nd rounder for Dillon)...The Bengals would rule the draft, they'd have the picks to trade up, trade down....That'd make it almost worth the risk of getting rid of two top notch backs....But not really.

But Joisey, why use a search engine when we've got you?  ;) 

"One of these days, Alice, one of these days...BANG! ZOOM!" :P

Yeah, it's based on the offer tendered, but you just know the Bengals are gonna give him the max offer just to be safe.

I certainly hope so.

I say sign him to an average RB contract and if he is out bid by someone else, let him go; I will not be convinced that he's the answer. I believe that if someone who averages 34.5 yards in the first half -- not including the game against Houston because well, their defense sucks -- it's average at best and can be picked up anywhere in the draft and/or free agency. Against good defenses, ranked within the top 10 or so, he's averaging 17 yards per first half. That's not very good for someone who has the whole city in an uproar over his overrated performance this far.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I know now, I'm not convinced and he does NOT deserves big time money. I mean, for what? He had four 100 yard plus games? He didn't even hit 1,000 yards and everyone is willing to give him a huge contract. Hardly a reason to lock someone up with a long term, high money contract.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: I'm only referring to those that think Johnson deserves to be locked up for life in Cincy.

Sign him to the deal that brings us a 1st and a 3rd for compensation. If we can trade Dillon as well, then fine. IF not, even better. I trust in the fact that Marvin Lewis can present Dillon to his teammates next year as humbled and apologetic as he can be. If not, still think that either Kevin Jones or really Chris Perry are the 2 best backs in the draft.

Really see Perry as another Curtis Martin.

Wouldn't mind drafting Greg Jones either.Strong down hill runner with some "get-up".Would compliment whoever we trade or lose etc....