What's the Deal with Justin Smith?

walzav29

i dont know really i mean this guy looks hard core and i think he draws double teams which is why we need some big guy to get the focus off of him

Justin has greatly improved since his first year here. He is pretty damn good against the run now and that was his biggest problem. If the Bengals could just cover people he would have had at least 8 more sacks(and I'm being conservative) He also sees a lot of double teams cause he's the best player on the line, a heavy duty DT or DE would greatly increase his numbers

Justin has greatly improved since his first year here. He is pretty damn good against the run now and that was his biggest problem. If the Bengals could just cover people he would have had at least 8 more sacks(and I'm being conservative) He also sees a lot of double teams cause he's the best player on the line, a heavy duty DT or DE would greatly increase his numbers

Completely agree.

However, my one complaint on his rush stopping is that he still doesn't shed off blocks enough to be considered good; he's just average right now. The great ones shed off their blocks or at least push his blocker back into the running and cutback lanes.

Overall I love the guy, heck I met him at a bar once, but he still has a lot to prove before I can consider the number one pick title on his name a success.

The one real knock on Justin Smith when he was drafted was his short arms. He has very short arms for a defensive end, let alone for a guy that is 6-4. He spent this year trying to bull rush offensive tackles instead of swimming and using rip moves.

True he will get more sacks when he has a big defensive tackle next to him that will eat up double teams. But another End on the other side would prevent teams from "max-protecting" on his side where he wouldn't have to beat a tackle and a running back or tight end as well.

The one thing that no one has mentioned, is that while it is true that he has a hard time shedding blocks, he never gives up on the play. In the game against the Ravens, I watched him run Boller and Lewis down after finally getting loose, and drop them for losses. Neither of those guys are slow.

If you want a solution to the defensive end problem it's simple..

find a way to move up to get that Udeze kid from U.S.C.

I'd like to see quite a few other USC alumni to go along with Carson. They were damn impressive!

Justin Smith was ranked by sportsline as the 22nd-best defensive lineman (including DEs and DTs) in the league, which is no small accomplishment for a 3rd year player who missed a good chunk of his first year and changed defensive coaches and systems between his second and third years. And who, as has been poiinted out already, is the only top-tier guy on the line and thus the focus of constant double-teams.

Let's take a look at this year's top 5 DEs, as ranked by sportsline, and how they did in their first three years vs. how Smith has done so far:

Michael Strahan: 74 tackles, 6 turnovers (fumbles + INTs), 13 sacks

Simeon Rice: 108 T, 4 TOs, 27.5 sacks

Adewale Ogunleye: 76 T, 5 TOs, 25 sacks

Jayson Taylor: 93 T, 6 TOs, 16.5 sacks

Alex Brown (2nd year player): 79 , 4 TOs, 8 sacks

Justin Smith: 129 T, 5 TOs, 20 sacks

Smith appears to be developing nicely. Give opposing offenses someone else to worry about on the d-line and he'll start taking QBs' heads off.

Justin Smith was ranked by sportsline as the 22nd-best defensive lineman (including DEs and DTs) in the league, which is no small accomplishment for a 3rd year player who missed a good chunk of his first year and changed defensive coaches and systems between his second and third years. And who, as has been poiinted out already, is the only top-tier guy on the line and thus the focus of constant double-teams.

Let's take a look at this year's top 5 DEs, as ranked by sportsline, and how they did in their first three years vs. how Smith has done so far:

Michael Strahan: 74 tackles, 6 turnovers (fumbles + INTs), 13 sacks

Simeon Rice: 108 T, 4 TOs, 27.5 sacks

Adewale Ogunleye: 76 T, 5 TOs, 25 sacks

Jayson Taylor: 93 T, 6 TOs, 16.5 sacks

Alex Brown (2nd year player): 79 , 4 TOs, 8 sacks

Justin Smith: 129 T, 5 TOs, 20 sacks

Smith appears to be developing nicely. Give opposing offenses someone else to worry about on the d-line and he'll start taking QBs' heads off.

Nothing like a shot of cold hard facts to stop an arguement huh ! B)

Joisey,

How the hell do you have such data at your fingertips? You must be into the fantasy football. I tried to get into it, but with all my sexual fantasies, there just wasn't enough room in "Fantasyville" for them to co-exsist! :D

So far he's a bust. I'm sorry, you don't draft people 4th for them to be "pretty good". He needs to be pro bowl caliber. Until then, this stiff is just a waste of money.

Very wrong. He is far from a bust. If the Bengals didn't have him on the line the defense would have been even worse. If you look at the top DE's by stats you'll notice that they play on pretty good lines...He has the potential the be a total monster on that Dline if someone else would help pull the double teams that he constantly get's...The team needs bookend DE's and you'd see his numbers take off...Throw in one more DTand whammo...Instant brick wall with Smith being the cornerstone. And when I say upgrade of DE and Dt, I'm not saying some superstars, just a few players of higher caliber than what's there now.

I'm thinking Kev is on to something here. The Bengals defensive line was easily thwarted by the selective double teaming. Someone with the equal ability playing along side would have to change the complection of the current defense. Two guys would be awesome. I honestly think we should trade Clemons.

He's becoming a bust, he's not a bust yet. He needs to develop another move. He is extremely quick off the ball and gets up field, the problem is a good tackle can counter his one move easily. He did improve against the run, but we need some sacks from him. Maybe another decent corner who can actually COVER will help in giving him and other lineman more sacks.

redsfan: yup.

billy: I take no credit; sportsline did all the work. But since I had the same debate on another board last offseason, I thought I'd take a peek and see if the stats had shifted against Smith. They haven't.

Fellow NJ fan: waddya want? Not every top pick is going to become an instant Pro Bowler (like tibor wants). Thank [insert deity of choice here] he's at least contributing. No doubt he can get better, and he could use some talent around him (note that he is currently the only defensive line starter that the Bengals actually drafted!). The one area I did see this year where he could improve is finishing sacks; he seems to get his hands on the QB a lot but doesn't bring him down.

I like Justin Smith solely because he has the best "sack dance" in the league.

I just love the hammering the nails in the coffin routine.

As an outsider, Id say he is by far your best defensive lineman. As a Ravens fan, Id compare him to Rob Burnett, very solid player versus run or pass and is definitely capable of 10-11 sack seasons.

Like others have said, more players on the d-line around him and he gets that much better.