superbowl

richmond_mat

Maybe you can help me understand a couple nfl policies. :huh:

When there are two weeks between the championships and the superbowl, why isn't the big game played during primetime on Saturday? Seems likely beer sales would increase. :) And the parties would be even better. :D

Why is there a blackout policy? It just breaks a fans rhythem of watching the game. :angry:

Maybe I'm on the wrong board with this one, but.........captain can move it if he wants.

When there are two weeks between the championships and the superbowl, why isn't the big game played during primetime on Saturday?

It's the ratings that dictate being on air. It's more likely more television tubes will be on the Super Bowl on Sundays. With increased ratings, increases sponsor bids and money towards commerical ads. Even though the same amount of people would watch on Saturday night, there would be more gatherings and more parties and the ratings would essentially drop in terms of how many televisions are tuned into the game giving the sponsers less reason to pay the money for the commercials.

Why is there a blackout policy? It just breaks a fans rhythem of watching the game. 

This I'm not sure of, I've never heard of a blackout for the Super Bowl. Or are you referring to the regular season?

Good questions mat. Who knows why, though. I HATE having a week between the Championships and the Super Bowl! You're all in the rythm of the playoffs, then they leave ya' to jerk off for a weekend in between games! It just blows. :angry:

The blackout policy is the NFL making sure the stadium is sold out before it airs. Doing this ensures ticket sales, consessions and team merchandise that enables teams to profit more from. Since the blackout policy only applies to local teams (ie if Cincy doesn't sell out it won't be aired within 75 miles (?)), the only way you could watch the game is buy a ticket.

If people just watched the game on TV without a sell-out, then the NFL would lose money because these potential ticket buys and hog dog munchers are sitting at home while stacked wallets stay with them.

It's ALL about money.

I hate the week layoff between conferance championships and the Super Bowl. It really sucks this year cause normally Super Bowl Sunday happens to fall on a local holiday here in Auckland, but not this year so I have to take a day off of work to see the game.

I also think it's a bit unfair on the teams, they get in the groove, and whammo a week off and heaps of hype. Also the Super Bowls have been more competative when they don't have the extra week off.

The NFL would never move the Super Bowl to a Saturday, I mean Super Bowl Sunday is ingrained into our culture now, besides why mess with sucess?

The blackout policy is the NFL making sure the stadium is sold out before it airs. Doing this ensures ticket sales, consessions and team merchandise that enables teams to profit more from.

If people just watched the game on TV without a sell-out, then the NFL would lose money because these potential ticket buys and hog dog munchers are sitting at home while stacked wallets stay with them.

It's ALL about money.

I agree it's all about money and I don't think the league has this one right.

The average family is going to attend at the most one game per year; simple economics. In marginal markets, like cinti, AZ, sandiego, old tampa, new orl, ........ the nfl is losing their future with this policy. If the games are never televised, how will the youth pick it up and identify with it?

The average family might make it a routine of watching the game together, but they cannot if it's not broadcast.

It's naive to think that ticket sales drive the nfl. CBS, FOX and ABC drive the nfl. Tickets, hotdogs, beer and tap water for 3 bucks are just gravey. Historically these played a much bigger role in revenue.

The blackouts hurt the weakest franchises the most. :blink:

Great point mat! Blackouts are penny wise, and pound foolish! Look at how fast Nascar is overtaking football! They know it's all about exposure to the younger market, and they are working it to perfection!! I hope the NFL team owners are paying attention, but I fear they're not! ;)

Great point mat! Blackouts are penny wise, and pound foolish! Look at how fast Nascar is overtaking football! They know it's all about exposure to the younger market, and they are working it to perfection!! I hope the NFL team owners are paying attention, but I fear they're not! ;)

Hey now, I love NASCAR....But it won't overtake the NFL, no way, no how....Not anymore anyway it's too vanilla, it's becoming like formula 1 with fenders, and I won't even touch the new point system :angry: And hell, when was the last time a race was won by passing???? Bloddy hell NASCAR can piss me off.....sorry about the rant....

I'm southern, and I take my stock car racing very seriously.

Hey now, I love NASCAR....But it won't overtake the NFL, no way, no how....Not anymore anyway it's too vanilla, it's becoming like formula 1 with fenders, and I won't even touch the new point system  :angry: And hell, when was the last time a race was won by passing???? Bloddy hell NASCAR can piss me off.....sorry about the rant....

YESSS!!!! Another Nascar Fan!! I think Nascar will soon rival the NFL...PROVIDING...this new Nextel points system is successful. I myself do not like it, but who knows?

Oh...And I'm southern too. Kentucky born and bred. Now if only the fantastic new Kentucky Speedway that Darrell Waltrip is backing gets a Nextel Cup date, all will be right in the world. Oh as long as that happens the same year the Bengals win their first Super Bowl title!!!!!! :D

P.S. How's the Nascar coverage down there in New Zealand? I've been to Perth Austrailia, and I know they like their motorsports in that part of the "Down Under!" B)

The average family is going to attend at the most one game per year; simple economics. In marginal markets, like cinti, AZ, sandiego, old tampa, new orl, ........ the nfl is losing their future with this policy. If the games are never televised, how will the youth pick it up and identify with it?

You have to remember that 25-30% of all seats are full to partial season tickets plus you have the corporate box seats. So essentially you have (and I'm speaking Cincy now) about 35,000 seats which in the tri-state area have about 4-5 million residents (plus 2-3 million corporate workers who would in turn go to the games as much due to business trips, benefits and deals), they will find people to sit in those seats.

It's naive to think that ticket sales drive the nfl. CBS, FOX and ABC drive the nfl. Tickets, hotdogs, beer and tap water for 3 bucks are just gravey. Historically these played a much bigger role in revenue.

Purchases AT stadiums go right to the team and are not dispersed among the NFL. The television contracts do drive the NFL, but other merchandise drives teams that are bought at the stadium that provide other beneficiaries such as better seating, renovation, better food, other specialty items that enrich a trip to PBS. Remember millions of dollars are brought in per game. Also remember that if tickets are NOT bought AT the stadium, i.e. purchased before game day, they go to the dispersion of other teams via the contract agreement.

The blackouts hurt the weakest franchises the most.

How? If people aren't going in the first place, it means they are not interested in the team. The thing that hurts the teams the most, is putting on a horrible product on the field. You saw it with Cincy last season, when we won people came. When we didn't and blackouts occurred, people stayed at home and were subject to the Clockwork Orange of Cleveland.

Look at baseball, blackouts do NOT occur if the stadium isn't sold out and baseball attendance around the league continues to drop except in New York and Chicago most notably (winning teams or nostalgic teams)

I agree, Blackouts suck, but if anything I understand the necessity.

Hey now, I love NASCAR....But it won't overtake the NFL, no way, no how....Not anymore anyway it's too vanilla, it's becoming like formula 1 with fenders, and I won't even touch the new point system  :angry: And hell, when was the last time a race was won by passing???? Bloddy hell NASCAR can piss me off.....sorry about the rant....

YESSS!!!! Another Nascar Fan!! I think Nascar will soon rival the NFL...PROVIDING...this new Nextel points system is successful. I myself do not like it, but who knows?

Oh...And I'm southern too. Kentucky born and bred. Now if only the fantastic new Kentucky Speedway that Darrell Waltrip is backing gets a Nextel Cup date, all will be right in the world. Oh as long as that happens the same year the Bengals win their first Super Bowl title!!!!!! :D

P.S. How's the Nascar coverage down there in New Zealand? I've been to Perth Austrailia, and I know they like their motorsports in that part of the "Down Under!" B)

Billy, I ain't impressed with the new point system...Actually it pisses me off...But then I remember when stock cars were stock cars...Hell My granddaddy ran Nascar when the racers ran shine as well...I would love to see NASCAR get more recognition than baseball, hockey and basketball, but I don't think it will happen until the Sports press accepts NASCAR as the true #2 sport in america.

The other thing that will help NASCAR is to have the damn races be competative again...(stop racing at cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks would also help...real men win on short tracks)

Coverage was great here, until the new TV deal took it off of ESPN international for the last few years, but I've had tapes sent over since then...Kiwis ain't as big on racing as Australians...But it's growing, I'm hoping Scott Dixon moves to cup racing in the next few years so I can get NASCAR on free TV here cause they show the IRL now cause of him. But they are bringing NASCAR back to paid TV here this year, so I'm pretty damn happy about live racing again.

Also, Kentucky deserves a race date before California deserves a second one...Name one damn exciting Californe race....Hell, the road couse in Cal has more exciting racing.....

....................they will find people to sit in those seats.

Purchases AT stadiums go right to the team and are not dispersed among the NFL. The television contracts do drive the NFL, but other merchandise drives teams that are bought at the stadium that provide other beneficiaries such as better seating, renovation, better food, other specialty items that enrich a trip to PBS. Remember millions of dollars are brought in per game. Also remember that if tickets are NOT bought AT the stadium, i.e. purchased before game day, they go to the dispersion of other teams via the contract agreement.

The blackouts hurt the weakest franchises the most.

How? If people aren't going in the first place, it means they are not interested in the team.

Look at baseball, blackouts do NOT occur if the stadium isn't sold out and baseball attendance around the league continues to drop except in New York and Chicago most notably (winning teams or nostalgic teams)

I agree, Blackouts suck, but if anything I understand the necessity.

They will fill the seats only when they are WINNING! :o

So there is an incentive to fill the stadium, but the same money would go into their pockets if the merchandise were perchased for a gift on Tuesday at the stadium pro shop.

I doubt that it's more than $1-2 million per home game for mikey. Nearly every ticket sold is sold before game day. The entire season's ticket sales were only about $25 million (500,000 x $50). TV pays the bills! :blink:

You mustn't confuse interest with the family budget. Who wants to blow some dough to see a loss. But they still might watch the tube! And go to the stadium on tuesday to buy junior a chad Johnson B-day present! :P

Like Billy said:"It's pennywise but pound foolish policy."

Baseball is a has been. Comparing the baseball to the nfl is like comparing Racquell Welch to Pamella Anderson. Baseball had its time and striked one too many times. B)

piece

:)

What happens if a Monday night game doesn't sell out, is it blacked out in the local area ?

• 2 weeks later...
What happens if a Monday night game doesn't sell out, is it blacked out in the local area ?

I think normal NFL regulations are still in use. But I doubt MNF games are rarely not sold out.

Oh how I wished it were saturday when the superbowl ended. 

With the two week break there is no reason not to have the big game on Saturday.  Beer sales would skyrocket! 

It's always a bummer when you have to force yourself to bed because you gotta pay the man. 

I think this has to do more with advertisers. On Sunday more television sets are on the game instead Saturday more groups of people would be together. Having more television sets on the game, justifies the $2.3 million 30 second price tag for networks and more will be willing to pay that. If the game were on Saturdays, then the tag would drop. This is purely hypothetical of course, but it makes the most sense.