Secondary help in the Draft

JBrooks

We've talked a lot about help in the secondary being sought in the draft and through Free Agency. A name that keeps popping up for draft is OSU CB Chris Gamble. I don't know that he's even the best defensive backfield guy in the draft from the Buckeyes.

What about Will Allen at safety? He's not great against the run, but I think we solve that problem at DT and linebacker. We already have one safety who can play the run in Beckett. Will Allen is a great centerfielder, with a nose for the ball.

What's the consensus, boys?

Will Allen is a good cover guy in college but the NFL? Not so sure. Remember the big plays given up by the Buckeyes were constantly blow coverages and safty help by Gamble and Allen. Personally, I think Allen is a good backup but Gamble is NOT ready for the NFL, I wouldn't pick up either in the first three rounds. I've watched every OSU game since age 6 so I know Bucks talent. :lol::lol:

I love the idea about keeping our boys at home, I'd be all for that!

I don't know about Sanders his stats are:

Height / Weight:

5-8 / 202

One of five seniors selected to team Leadership council for 2003 season . . . has recorded 276 career tackles to rank 14th on career tackle chart . . . his 25 tackles vs. Indiana in 2001 ranks as the fourth-best single game total ever at Iowa . . . given name is Demond, but goes by Bob.

A little small for a S in NFL, but he can sure tackle. How about Stuart Schweigert in maybe the 3rd round.

6-3/215 good size for S. Purdue career interceptions leader with 13.

2003: Preseason All-American by Playboy.

2002: Rated as No. 1 free safety prospect in the nation by All-Pro Scouting Service, which rates NFL prospects heading into the draft ... one of 14 semifinalists for Jim Thorpe Award (nation’s outstanding defensive back) … named to Bronko Nagurski Trophy “watch list” (nation’s outstanding defensive player) … second team All-Big Ten by media and honorable mention by coaches … started 12 games … ranked third on team with 89 tackles (49 solo, 40 assists), including five for loss … had four pass breakups, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery … missed Illinois State game with sprained knee … had 12 tackles (6 solo, 6 assists), including 1 1/2 for loss, at Notre Dame on Sept. 7 … became Purdue’s career interception leader with No. 12 vs. Western Michigan on Sept. 14 … record-setting pick came at the Purdue 16-yard line with 39 seconds left in the third quarter … equaled career high of 14 tackles (8 solo, 6 assists) with a pass breakup and a fumble recovery at Iowa on Oct. 5 … played only briefly at Illinois on Oct. 12 due to calf muscle strain … added to school record with career interception No. 13 at Northwestern on Oct. 26 … had 10 tackles (5 solo, 5 assists) vs. Ohio State on Oct. 9 … tied school record with two forced fumbles and had 10 tackles (8 solo, 2 assists) vs. Washington in Sun Bowl on Dec. 31 ... returned two kickoffs for 30 yards vs. Minnesota on Sept. 28.

While Sanders, or Strait, or Taylor might be the solution; we forget Lewis and Frazier will pick based on what's best for the team. Most first round corner backs would command a lot of money and be as ineffective to a guy in the 3rd or 4th round. I have to believe we'll draft fatties up front to stabilize the D line; the position in which games are won and lost. If we can draft a corner in the 3rd or 4th round that's good at covering, better than Hawkins or Burris, we'll be in a great position. After all our rushing defense was the problem last season.

Giving up 100 yards to a rusher: Bengals Record 1-5

Giving up 140 yards to a rusher: Bengals Record 0-3

If we can bolster our rush defense, we'll be in far better position to claim a playoff spot. A great rush defense compliments pass coverage forcing all seven guys into coverage instead of blitzing and scheming to the point of taking our guys out of position.

I have to believe we'll draft fatties up front to stabilize the D line; the position in which games are won and lost.  If we can draft a corner in the 3rd or 4th round that's good at covering, better than Hawkins or Burris, we'll be in a great position.  After all our rushing defense was the problem last season.

A great rush defense compliments pass coverage forcing all seven guys into coverage instead of blitzing and scheming to the point of taking our guys out of position.

No doubt Josh. As we've discussed before in earlier threads, the opposing QB's have had for the most part, ALL FREAKIN' DAY to find an open receiver. Unless the QB feels some pressure and fast, he IS going to find an open guy no matter how wonderful a defensive back you got in the secondary.

The current defensive line is too small/slow/ineffective, and incapable of applying the needed heat on the QB. It's like we saw different games or something! I can't believe the present cornerbacks and safties are being dissed in this thread so much when it was the lack of the defensive line and linebackers pass rush that made them look so bad!

Well Josh, I can only hope you're right about your draft assumptions. It's the LINEMAN guys. Like he said...that's where the GAMES are won and lost. We've lost too many there. If we draft defensive linemen after cornerbacks, and safties, it's just going to continue. I'm confident Marvin realizes it, and will act appropriately. B)

I don't know about Sanders...A little small for a S in NFL, but he can sure tackle. How about Stuart Schweigert in maybe the 3rd round.

I like Schweigert but right now it doesn't look like he makes it out of the second. And I agree, Sanders doesn't have the height...but he can get airbourne!

sanders_b-112203.jpg

He caught my eye only by accident when I stumbled across a piece on him being named the Hawkeyes' co-MVP:

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-foot.../121303aaj.html

Then I found this write-up over at nfldraftblitz.com:

Positives: Has great speed and range on the football field. Very aggressive player and an intimidator. Possesses very good instincts and is always around the ball. Has the perfect mentality for a safety.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height. Has had some injury problems with his right foot as a senior.

Overall analysis: Demond “Bob” Sanders is a very experienced player who has established himself as one of college football’s toughest safeties. Sanders saw immediate playing time as a true freshman, and ended up starting in his team’s last four games in 2000. Since that time, Sanders has been Iowa’s regular starter at the strong safety position. Sanders lacks ideal height for the position, but he rates as a positive in just about every other aspect. Sanders may not be the tallest safety, but he’s a weight-room warrior that is really well built for his size. He is very physical and can provide the big hit. He also has very good instincts and playing range, and is constantly around the football. And surprisingly enough, especially when considering his bigger build, Sanders runs extremely well. However, Sanders height is a concern and he will likely have trouble matching up with the taller NFL receivers that he’ll have to face at the next level. It also must be noted that Sanders had foot surgery during the 2003 season, and even though it doesn’t appear to be a long-term problem it is something that NFL teams will have to take a look at. But overall, Sanders is a very good football player who would probably grade as a first rounder if he were 4 inches taller. Sanders currently carries a third round grade.

I just like him as a lower-round pick. If he slipped to the 4th and we hadn't taken a safety we could do worse.