Ahmed Plummer

HoosierCat

A wee nugget from pfw's whispers column:

We hear 49ers unrestricted free agent CB Ahmed Plummer — who lives in Ohio — could have his sights set on playing for the Bengals.

Plummer's 4-year pro stats:

Tackles: 269 (238 solo)

Sacks: 0

FF: 1

INT: 12 (1 TD)

OK, he's not Bailey or McAllister but wouldn't be a bad pickup, either. And when was the last time *any* FA worth spit had "his sights set on" Cincinnati? B)

Plummer is the CB I'd like to see the Bengals get. He's very good, wants to play for the Bengals. Hell he grew up a fan, and he won't command the mega bucks that some of the other CB's will. Hell, he may even give the Bengals a hometown discount. Nothing beats getting a top quality FA that is passionate about the team....

And can everyone please lay off the Champ Bailey stuff? There ain't a way in hell he is leaving Washington...

And even if he does, he's way to pricey for the Bengals

And can everyone please lay off the Champ Bailey stuff?

lol hell ill keep talking about him until he signs with someother team :D

Well we can dream can't we? :D

I'd take Plummer any day. If we could get him, Antoine Winfield, Mike Doss, Damon Moore and Shawn Springs, draft Chris Gamble - make it all Buckeye DBs. I'd be in heaven!! All those guys (except Plummer and not yet Gamble) were All-Americans. Mike Doss was a three time All-American. Put Springs/Gamble and Winfield/Plummer on the corners; Doss and Moore at the safties. Oh s**t, I'm about to wet my pants.

Who had that free-agent link? Any of these other guys available this year?

Alright, alright. I know it'll never happen, but a man can dream can't he?

Maybe we could sign Maurice Clarett as a FA! Okay, maybe not. He'll probably be playing for the Garden City CC Broncbusters or the Scottsdale Community College Artichokes.

Nothing wrong with dreaming about Baily or McCallister. You never know.....

however I would love it if Plummer came to the Bengals. Kevnz, I agree with you totally on the point of nothing like a player wanting to go home to play and being passionate about the team he plays for. He would be a serious upgrade to the secondary, and as stated earlier a lot cheaper. Sure I'd love to log on to the Bengals official website and see "Baily Signs contract" or "McCallister Agrees to terms of Bengals contract", but in the end I do think Plummer is a lot more realistic choice. And he is a very good DB.

here is the list of available Free Agents for '04

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/2004_free_agents.htm

Thanks.

Winfield and Springs are also free agents. Springs is injury prone. Winfield is one of the best tackling CBs in the league. He's from Akron - probably grew up a Brown's fan! He was a 1st rounder (#23), taken after Bailey & McAlister. He could be a nice pick-up.

Well guy's, I hate to disagree with the consensus here, but I honestly don't think our DB's are that bad. They're just young, inexperienced, and having to cover recievers who have all freakin' day to get open because the other Bengal defensive players are incapable of putting adequate pressure on the other teams QB!!

Prime example was the Rams game. Play after play their QB had all the time he wanted to find an open reciever, and get him the ball! If you give any NFL quarterback as much time as the Bengals lack of pass rush allows...somebody will eventually get open. And they did. Time and time again. Does anyone here look at the stats on the Bengals defensive sacks, or any other related data? I think that would bear me out with this argument.

Where did the Bengals rank in sacks? Pretty poorly. We need to put pressure on the ball, and this year it was practically non exsistant. Especially in the big games. The one game I saw any pressure whatsoever with regularity was against the Chiefs. After that, it disappeared. What the hell happened? I just don't know. I just hope someone figures out where it went, and convinces it to come back, or we're screwed again next year! B)

Well guy's, I hate to disagree with the consensus here, but I honestly don't think our DB's are that bad. They're just young, inexperienced, and having to cover recievers who have all freakin' day to get open because the other Bengal defensive players are incapable of putting adequate pressure on the other teams QB!!

Well, you're definitely right about the pass rush, but do you see them turning over the entire line? Probably just a couple or three or maybe just one big-time player. There's a lot of other changes that can be made. They can address the line and still sign a decent FA. I'd rather do that than bring in a draft pick.

How many quality FAs came to the Bengals the past few years? For example, we haven't had a Jeremiah Trotter come here. I don't know what Trotter's doing in Washington, but he was a hell of a player when he left Philly. Who was our last Ray Lewis?

The DBs might have been okay, but if we can make them better, why not?

I'm with Billy on this one.

Just to add - The lack of stopping the run forces safeties to cheat up creating stunts that force a lot of man on man coverage, hence why Rogers Beckett has so many tackles this season. Why do you think Bailey had a down year -- contract year -- in 2003 (only 9 passes defended with 2 interceptions - other than tackles, Burris had similar numbers)? The Washington D was 27th against the rush. In 2002, Washington's D was 12th and Bailey had a far better season.

Heck, if I was the cornerback for the Ravens, I'm sure I'd have numbers similar to McAllister. Well maybe a deflection less, maybe two. :lol:

The DBs might have been okay, but if we can make them better, why not?

I think what Billy is trying to say is that if we upgrade our D-line big TIME then our corners will perform the functions necessary to create a good defense and not require the $ needed for a shutdown corner.

Even the Bengals coaching staff on the Monday Night Bengals Line talk show with Andy Fuhrman stated that we don't have nearly the room of cap that we did last season, so that should be kept in mind.

For the out of towners, the Bengals Line talk show with Andy Fuhrman is a 3 hour show from 6-9 on 700 WLW that just talks about the Bengals with players. Tonight they had the whole coaching staff on, which was super cool.

There's no question that the d-line needs a major upgrade, or that if they were better they'd make the corners better (in fact, that's what happened back in 2001 when we had that top 10 D). That said, I wouldn't call Burris, James, and Hawkins young or inexperienced. James is a keeper, but Burris is about done -- too old, too slow, too many shots to the head -- he ought to think about moving into coaching. As for Artrell...how long, o Lord, how long? His whole career can be summed up in one word: inconsistent. He matches every great play by getting toasted somewhere else. When he was a FA a couple years back he got interest from Pitt and Oakland, but ended up resigning here because they wanted him for what he was, a decent nickle back, whereas he could have a starting job here. As a nickle guy, keep him, but he's not starter material.

With one rook (Weathersby) to break in already, it'd be nice to see them find another vet corner, IMHO.

... I wouldn't call Burris, James, and Hawkins young or inexperienced. James is a keeper, but Burris is about done -- too old, too slow, too many shots to the head -- he ought to think about moving into coaching. As for Artrell...how long, o Lord, how long? His whole career can be summed up in one word: inconsistent. ....With one rook (Weathersby) to break in already, it'd be nice to see them find another vet corner, IMHO.

Billy is right about the D-line's inconsistent pressure. Even the best corner will give up a completion if a quarterback has more than 5 seconds in the pocket.

I also agree with the assessment of our current DB's given by Joisey.

What about Safety???

I gotta agree with the age and inexperience not being the factor in the secondary, but I still agree with Billy about needing more of a pass rush to help out the corners. We're one big, line pushing, pocket collapsing DT away from improving the pass D.

If you'll remember, Clemons and Smith gave us great edge rushing, but the DT's got manhandled and the QB's had a beautiful pocket to step up into. With a big DT, drawing two lineman and still not being pushed off the line, a lot more sacks are created. The QB has nowhere to step into when that hot pursuit comes from the outside.

I agree we need a new corner, too, but we don't have to go out and get a Champ Bailey, just a good complement corner for Burris, Hawkins to Nickel and a game changing DT.

Would love to see an upgrade at LB, too.

We're one big, line pushing, pocket collapsing DT away from improving the pass D.

Would love to see an upgrade at LB, too.

I believe the Defensive Line should be improved through free agency, and the Linebacker should come from the (if you can believe I'm gonna say this...) the draft!! :D

I would like to see them get someone that can collapse the pocket from the middle. We seem to get plenty of pressure off the edges but never up the middle. How many times did we give up a first down on third and long this year? We'd make two good stops on first and second and then we would surrender too much on third down.

I thought it was interesting to read ML's comments about being more involved with the decision making with the coordinators next year without trying to step on their toes. My guess is they will try to blitz a little more. It seemed like they had some success with that when they did it.

Hopefully they can pick up another CB comparable to James. Then they can move Burris to a nickel and Hawkins to the dime back. I still think Burris is a good player but with his health problems it is hard to say how long he can go. I'd be surprised if McAlister was allowed to leave Baltimore but I could see Champ Bailey coming here since they are starting with a new coach again in DC. I don't know if Marvin's influence can keep the price down or not. If not Champ then maybe A. Plummer.

Obviously with Ross' injury there is a need at LB too. I think he might have been replaced anyway. However, I don't know if Levels or Riall are everydown players or just good subs and special teamers.

BTW, does anyone know when the free agent signing period is??

If I were you guys I would write off both McAlister and Bailey. There is almost no chance that either would get out of their respective towns, and they would get such huge offers from dumb teams (like the Lions) that they wouldn't be worth the money.

Besides which, Bailey is coming to Baltimore to start opposite McAlister. :P

I would like to see them get someone that can collapse the pocket from the middle. We seem to get plenty of pressure off the edges but never up the middle. How many times did we give up a first down on third and long this year? We'd make two good stops on first and second and then we would surrender too much on third down.

God!! It was agonizing to watch! It didn't seem to matter if it was third and one, or third a whatever. It way too often ended up as a first down given up. I couldn't understand how a team that looked great defensively on first and second down, then stunk out the joint on third and long! It was almost as if they went into a "prevent defense", which my interpretation of it is the defensive alignment that prevents you from winning!! They automatically didn't do what worked so well on the two previous downs! It was just sad. <_<