Expectations for Pollack

UofLnMU

Expectations for Pollack?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Expectations for Pollack?

• POLLACK IS GOD!
    • I will name my child "Pollack," even if it is a girl.
    • Decent player, but will never ascend to the level of immortality attained by Steve Foley.
    • Reinard Wilson, anyone?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer "is god " is sacrilegious please change it.If you are not a person of faith you should have more respect others faith.If you are a person of faith you should have more respect for your own.---thanks

How did I know this would come up ????

Anyway, where's the great pick up, improvement over Hardy and "become" a great player answer at ???

WHODEY !!!

The answer "is god " is sacrilegious please change it.If you are not a person of faith you should have more respect others faith.If you are a person of faith you should have more respect for your own.---thanks

Do people with religious persuasion look for ways to be offended. Is that part of the deal for church-goers...be sure to be offended by anything and everything? Give me a break. Okay, okay, we'll re-phrase...Pollack is a footbal god...did you see the little "g"...does that help? Did you see it? Christ is a little embaressed about now. I'm sure He can handle it...buck up, soldier.

Maybe not quite a "god" -- but a very special OLB that will make teams have to account for him.

I thinks his buddy from Georgia -- Geathers is going to benefit from Pollacks pass rushing abilities as are the Bengals!!! B) :player: :player:

Hmmmm, according to the press release I was just handed God has a son named Jesus.

In addition, David Pollack is said to drink lots of water, pees more than anyone else on the planet, and is a virgin.

Thus, he's unlikely to be the father of anyone including Jesus...though virgin birth is believed possible in religous circles.

Complicating matters even further is the fact that I have an adopted turtle originally named Jesus who lives in the space between my fridge and my kitchen counter. This turtle is now named Sherman due to my reluctance to tell people that Jesus lives in my kitchen. I believe news like that could attract a bad crowd.

The turtle pees a normal amount.

Add it all up and it's quite likely that David Pollack is not GOD....because David Pollack actually exists.

That said, it seems I have forgotten the question.

Lord, I'm pretty much as much a "person of faith" as the next person, having very nearly attended seminary, and the reference was more or less toward the somewhat obscure "Lemmy is God" line regarding Lemmy of Motorhead fame--I think it originates from Wayne's World.

I had kind of been thinking that I was lampooning the incredible outpouring of optimism regarding the Pollack selection. I've fallen victim to that sort of kool aid drinking myself: living in Georgia, my wife and I are planning on getting Pollack and Thurman jerseys, and have made crazy pronouncements about the Bengals now.

In retrospect, I should have put up the Kevin Hardy-type career, but that would have been far too realistic to be fun. I had first thought to just put up POLLACK IS GOD or (insert other funny one liner here), but then started to think of other smart alecked things to say--my Achilles' heel, I guess. The "I will name my child 'Pollack'" actually is a reference to my own daughter, Seaver.

Anyway, there are the explanations. Hopefully grips will have been had.

Sacreligious according to which religion? Several out there actually believe in the capacity for anyone to become a god. If I ascribed to one of these, and considered myself to be a god, I would be incredibly offended by your taking offense and telling me that I couldn't. In fact, Jesus' claim to godliness has been very common in the history of spiritual guides who try to point us to this capacity. It's what lies behind the holy trinity. He is man and god and spirit. The part where he told us we could all be the same got conveniently omitted from the 'good' book by the politicians who harangued his teachings to be used to control the masses (hmm... sounds familiar). All they had to do was insert themselves as the intermediary and trump up this religion thing with all sorts of hoops to jump through (which would have christ turning over in his grave - wherever they finally dumped his body) and they could conveniently assume this power and claim that they were divinely ordained by god to tell you what to do (hmmm... there's that damned familiarity again). No, Christ only had one message, one rule: to not judge others, to not throw the first stone, but instead, to simply love. To love others, as yourself. Because they ARE you. It is our oneness that opens the path to becoming godly. Not our difference. It is our ability to accept and recognize the humanity in others that brings us closer to being godly, not judging them and condemning them as sinners and telling them to (I love this word) 'repent.' Christ kept company with whores and drunks, but he treated them with loving compassion because he realized that the only real effective way people can turn their lives around is if they learn to love themselves first. And once that happens, they are on the path to godliness. Christ, like other spiritual figures who were eventually turned into gods by poltical movements, was showing us the way by his own example. "I am the way the truth and the light". He was the guide. Live as he lived and you too could be god. You too could hardwire yourself into the limitless potential of your being. What a world it would be if all of the Christians, with all of their ferverant enthusiam, could take that message to heart and really be Christ-like. Not dividing by basking in their moral superiority and telling others how to behave, but bringing us together by their loving example. (of course, doing so would present several additional problems because somehow, the "Christian" right has gotten its nose in politics and decided that it's not moral to provide children with food and healthcare, it's not moral to stop genocide in Darfur (it would be moral, however, if doing so could result in paying less at the pump), it's not moral to limit our corporations, and it is ESPECIALLY not moral to pay taxes with our ALMIGHTY dollars to make these things happen. Somehow, people who are trying to put god back in the government don't want the government itself to operate according to morally correct principles. So what is it realy about? I have some ideas. But that's a whole 'nother discussion...) Sorry for the rant.

BTW, I am a person of faith: I believe in David Pollack.

You can leave it here. I promise I won't talk religion and politics again unless someone starts throwing the fire and brimstone at me and telling me I'm going to hell.

How tantalizing were those video images on Bengals.com. Couldn't get much from Pollack and the linebackers. The only drills where I felt like you could actually see any talent on display were the receives doing their cutting. God, Chad is dynamite. I love the fun that he has too. You could hear him screaming with girlsih enthusiam when the video was on all of the other positions, too. And I have to say, Chris Henry looks like a giant out there next to those other guys. Very exciting

You can leave it here. I promise I won't talk religion and politics again unless someone starts throwing the fire and brimstone at me and telling me I'm going to hell.

Whaddaya mean "going?" Hasn't this seemed like "hell" to any other Bengal fans waiting for the team to return to the playoffs for the last FOURTEEN FREAKIN' YEARS!?! :blink:

I'm hoping Pollack, Palmer, the Perry's and Johnsons, as well as Thurman, Henry, Simmons, Kaesviharn, Anderson, etc., etc., will finally get it together under Marvin's leadership and have the Bengals flying into the 2005 playoffs like a "Bat Out Of Hell!"

*my apologies to Mr. Loaf! ^_^

Sacreligious according to which religion? Several out there actually believe in the capacity for anyone to become a god. If I ascribed to one of these, and considered myself to be a god, I would be incredibly offended by your taking offense and telling me that I couldn't. In fact, Jesus' claim to godliness has been very common in the history of spiritual guides who try to point us to this capacity. It's what lies behind the holy trinity. He is man and god and spirit. The part where he told us we could all be the same got conveniently omitted from the 'good' book by the politicians who harangued his teachings to be used to control the masses (hmm... sounds familiar). All they had to do was insert themselves as the intermediary and trump up this religion thing with all sorts of hoops to jump through (which would have christ turning over in his grave - wherever they finally dumped his body) and they could conveniently assume this power and claim that they were divinely ordained by god to tell you what to do (hmmm... there's that damned familiarity again). No, Christ only had one message, one rule: to not judge others, to not throw the first stone, but instead, to simply love. To love others, as yourself. Because they ARE you. It is our oneness that opens the path to becoming godly. Not our difference. It is our ability to accept and recognize the humanity in others that brings us closer to being godly, not judging them and condemning them as sinners and telling them to (I love this word) 'repent.' Christ kept company with whores and drunks, but he treated them with loving compassion because he realized that the only real effective way people can turn their lives around is if they learn to love themselves first. And once that happens, they are on the path to godliness. Christ, like other spiritual figures who were eventually turned into gods by poltical movements, was showing us the way by his own example. "I am the way the truth and the light". He was the guide. Live as he lived and you too could be god. You too could hardwire yourself into the limitless potential of your being. What a world it would be if all of the Christians, with all of their ferverant enthusiam, could take that message to heart and really be Christ-like. Not dividing by basking in their moral superiority and telling others how to behave, but bringing us together by their loving example. (of course, doing so would present several additional problems because somehow, the "Christian" right has gotten its nose in politics and decided that it's not moral to provide children with food and healthcare, it's not moral to stop genocide in Darfur (it would be moral, however, if doing so could result in paying less at the pump), it's not moral to limit our corporations, and it is ESPECIALLY not moral to pay taxes with our ALMIGHTY dollars to make these things happen. Somehow, people who are trying to put god back in the government don't want the government itself to operate according to morally correct principles. So what is it realy about? I have some ideas. But that's a whole 'nother discussion...) Sorry for the rant.

BTW, I am a person of faith: I believe in David Pollack.

While your insights seem genuine, I think you may want to acutally reread what is in the "good book".

1st) Its a free country and God did create us with the freedom of choice. So if you do not accept Jesus' statements thats fine. But please do not misrepresent what he was saying.

2nd) There has been no mass editing of the scriptures as you might have been led to believe. The Dead Sea Scrolls attest to this. I believe the NASB is the best version availiabe, but I also like the NIV. its in a little more modern language. Each have been translated from the oldest and most accurate texts available. All from the original Greek, Hebrew,and Aramaic. (not from language to language to language as some would believe). From the Dead Sea Scrolls we are now believe that 98% of whats in the NT is accurate to the original.

3rd) Jesus claims can't be watered down the way you seem to do it. He claimed divinity for himself, not everyone. to complete your phrase.. "I am the way, the truth and the light, (now the part you left out)NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER BUT BY ME". And actually if you take the wording in the greek it could very easily read. "I am the way, the only way. The truth, the only truth. The light, the only light.

OR when he told the Pharisees. "You will die in your sins if you do not believe I am who I say I am"

who did Jesus say that he was? "I am" (Same greek word here used that are consistently translated as "the Lord" in the NT) ITs what God told Moses he would be known as. (YHWH in hebrew)

Not to mention he went on to say "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was, I am"

(For those who don't know, Abraham live about 3000 yrs before Jesus).

At this the Pharisees picked up stones to stone him (apparantley they knew what he was claiming). Stoning was the prescribe punishment for blasphemy.

There are ample examples of Jesus' claim to divinity. Another is found in Revelations where Jesus calls himself "the first and the last" A title reserved for God the father and creator.

And then you have the multilple prophtetic "coincidences" in which Jesus perfectly fullfills the prophecies laid out for the messiah in the OT. Many of those prophecies also equate the messiah with God the Father.

Not to mention that Jesus openly accepts worship, while worshipping anything but God is strictly forbidden. (including angels).

These aspects are really only the tip of the Ice berg. The Holy Bible definitley makes the claim for Christs divinity (Include Christs own words). Furthermore, the Holy Bible also forbids individuals to exalt themselves as gods. Afterall, thats what got Satan expelled from Gods presence. Thats basically why there is enimity between God and man today. Everytime you do what you want to do, instead of what God wants you to do, you make yourself your own god. You cease to follow the true God and now worship a false god (yourself). Otherwise known as sin.

4th) as far as the "wherever they dumped his body" statement. There was no body to dump. It ascended to Heaven. Thats clearly written within the gospels. If you believe the gospel authors fabricated this story and hid his body, I would have to say that requires quite the suspension of belief. Think about it. the Disciples were in running, in absolute fear for thier lives, they left Jesus on the cross to suffer his death alone and went back to thier previous lives. Peter denied ever knowing Jesus because he feared he would share Jesus' fate. If Jesus proved to simply be another man and not God, what motivated these scared, pitifull disciples to begin to openly preach the gospel and found churches with absolutley no fear of persecution?

Surley something amazing must have happened. All of these disciple were executed for thier faith. Why the change of heart from the stark fear of sharing Jesus fate, to the open embracing of sharing Jesus' fate?

I'll tell you, after the ressurection they finally saw what Jesus' fate was.

5th) Yes, Jesus taught that love was the greatest commandment. He highly emphasized love in everything he taught. But what did he say was the most important commandment? Love the LORD with all your heart, all your soul and all your might.

the 2nd most important commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself.

So we see the proper relationship with God is most important. If someone is in tune with God (which can only come thru Jesus Christ) then the 2nd commandment will follow.

None of this you have to believe, but please don't misrepresent what Jesus actually said and claimed.

And while I don't believe David Pollack is God. I do honestly think he will find himself in canton when all is said and done.

Nobody really knows what Jesus said.. The books of the new testement were written many years after his death so its all heresay and adlibs imo.

As for God... Is there one or a committee? Indians believe in many Gods..Who are you or anyone else to say there isnt?

As for Hell...I dont believe in a hell.. If there is a father and he loves us so he wouldnt send his children to such a horrendous place for eternity.. Is that what you'd do to your own child?

Again, I don't see a poll option to capture my feelings. If he gets to three pro bowls in his career, won't he be the best Bengal LB ever? It's not like this franchise has been blessed with a lot of great ones.

Firstly, I am a seminary student, so you wouldn't think a conversation like this would annoy me, but I guess I'm not a normal seminary student. I read thousands of pages of religious material, and enjoy it thoroughly, but when I come to the Bengals forum site, I'm looking for interesting discussion about the Bengals.

What I'm not looking for are mountains made of molehills by easily offended people who are insecure in their faith that they have trouble even hearing that someone doesn't agree with them. So I will spare you all of my opinions about Jesus, and the reasons I have put my faith in him.

In return I hope that this discussion will end, because most of it is sarcasm, and has been an utter waste of my time reading it (despite the laugh I got from haironfire).

So, in summary, let's talk about Carson Palmer, or David Pollack, or something about the Bengals. I think that discussions of faith are infinitely more important than discussions about football, but this is certainly not the first place I would come to talk religion. I don't know you guys, and don't have relationships with you, and that is the only context that meaningful religious discussion can take place. So, let's end it here, please.

. . . when I come to the Bengals forum site, I'm looking for interesting discussion about the Bengals.

What I'm not looking for are mountains made of molehills by easily offended people who are insecure in their faith that they have trouble even hearing that someone doesn't agree with them. So I will spare you all of my opinions about Jesus, and the reasons I have put my faith in him.

In return I hope that this discussion will end, because most of it is sarcasm, and has been an utter waste of my time reading it  . . . . So, let's end it here, please.

Amen, brother (almost a father)

Again, I don't see a poll option to capture my feelings. If he gets to three pro bowls in his career, won't he be the best Bengal LB ever? It's not like this franchise has been blessed with a lot of great ones.

Yes, in an effort to re-start football conversation, I dropped the above post. I will try again. Given our history at LB as a franchise, it won't take much for Pollack to be one of the Bengals' best ever.